UConn 2004 vs UConn 2024 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn 2004 vs UConn 2024

Reaction Score
Im sure I’ll be crucified for this, but ive always thought 2004 was a flawed team. Played sloppy and needed one more ball handler. I go with 2024
No need for crucifixion. Marcus Williams ended up academically ineligible midway through the year, and his absence did leave us lacking backcourt depth. Ben and Taliek played heavy minutes and when they rested, it would usually mean Denham and Rashad on the wings.

Reaction Score
JC would do something insane like play a zone to neutralize Hurley's screening and motion offense.

Hurley would run Gordon and Anderson off the 3 point line.
I don't know who would win between these two teams, but the 2024's offense worked well against zone defenses, too. After a few baskets against the zone I could see Calhoun going back to man-to-man. He would be reluctant to go to a zone in the first place unlike in the early 90s when he felt he had to at times.

Reaction Score
If we’re lucky you can simulate in EA Sports… it’s in the game!

Idk if NCAA Football returning means anything for a college hoops video game but I can see it coming down the pipeline…

I’m not a video game guy but one day I’ll cave into a system.

Reaction Score
I usually favor the more modern athletes, but I think 04 is a terrible match up for 24. But we will never know.

One team had two top 4 lottery picks, one who went on the be rookie of the year. This back when drafts were much deeper and of higher quality top to bottom. Recency bias has made it easy to forget how good, big, and skilled that 04 team was. I love this 24 team, but I am not sure they beat the 23 team in a series. I love Castle, but he still hasn't played anyone on BG's level. Mek would give Donovan fits, just like Adama did in practice last year. Charlie and AK would be a good match-up, that I think favors Charlie. But that is just my take.

We can disagree. I think you’re significantly underrating Castle and the quality of players he’s defended. I think the idea that Clingan couldn’t handle Okafor is way off the mark - as much as I loved Emeka he’s not a lottery pick in 2024. I loved that ‘04 team but they lost 6 games, weren’t a 1 seed, and finished the regular season ranked outside the Top 5. And I also think the ‘24 team would mop the ‘23 team.

Reaction Score
04 wins 8 out of 10...maybe all 10.

It would also depend from era are the officials.
2024 is better and would take the series fairly easily. More ballhandlers/creators and better ball movement. Castle would slow Gordon down and Clingan would stop Okafor from scoring. Tristen is a lot better than Taliek. Only way '04 would win is if they got Clingan in serious foul trouble and I don't think that would happen often over 10 games.

2024 is the best college bball team I've seen the past 20 years.

Reaction Score
I usually favor the more modern athletes, but I think 04 is a terrible match up for 24. But we will never know.

One team had two top 4 lottery picks, one who went on the be rookie of the year. This back when drafts were much deeper and of higher quality top to bottom. Recency bias has made it easy to forget how good, big, and skilled that 04 team was. I love this 24 team, but I am not sure they beat the 23 team in a series. I love Castle, but he still hasn't played anyone on BG's level. Mek would give Donovan fits, just like Adama did in practice last year. Charlie and AK would be a good match-up, that I think favors Charlie. But that is just my take.
'24 is significantly better than '23.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
2024 is better and would take the series fairly easily. More ballhandlers/creators and better ball movement. Castle would slow Gordon down and Clingan would stop Okafor from scoring. Tristen is a lot better than Taliek. Only way '04 would win is if they got Clingan in serious foul trouble and I don't think that would happen often over 10 games.

2024 is the best college bball team I've seen the past 20 years.
This is where I am at as well. The across the board BBIQ of 2024 may never be matched. Every player was a threat in their own way, and the full blown commitment to the system resulted in machine-like performances. The 2024 machine wears down the (way) more athletic 2004, just like they did everyone else.

I still can't get over the fact that we ran through that tourney in such dominating fashion shooting poorly from deep for 3.5 games.

I'd go 7-3 in favor of 2024.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom