UConn@#20 Wichita State (4/13 Fri. DblHeader starting@4p EDT & 4/15 Sun.@2p EDT) All games on ESPN3 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn@#20 Wichita State (4/13 Fri. DblHeader starting@4p EDT & 4/15 Sun.@2p EDT) All games on ESPN3

Reaction Score
WSU baseball was (is?) a huge deal there.

No MLB team close by and means so much more than minor league ball.
Yeah I get that and you're completely right, but it also helps to have two of the ~10 richest people on the planet in your corner. I mean, their basketball arena is literally called the Charles Koch Arena. Can't imagine a baseball field that nice is cheap.

Reaction Score
Yeah I get that and you're completely right, but it also helps to have two of the ~10 richest people on the planet in your corner. I mean, their basketball arena is literally called the Charles Koch Arena. Can't imagine a baseball field that nice is cheap.

Oh yeah obviously, I was just adding on to what you said :)

Reaction Score
Have a feeling it may also have to do with their benefactor down in Wichita. No one important, just one little family called the Koch's...

From link on Stadium in post #1 of thread:

>>Seven prominent members of the community stepped forward with major lead gifts, specifically $500,000 from H.D. Hap Bledsoe; $500,000 from the Virginia Farah Foundation, whose president is WSU graduate Eric Namee; $500,000 from longtime baseball supporter Rusty Eck; $225,000 from Southwestern Bell, $500,000 from The Coleman Co., $100,000 from Gerald Michaud and $100,000 from Willard Walpole.<<

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
@UConnbsb is the UConn baseball twitter account..

Gotcha. At the very least, whoever runs the twitter account likely lurks here, although I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Gotcha. At the very least, whoever runs the twitter account likely lurks here, although I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Not to toot our own horns, but this is likely the biggest UConn baseball fan community on the web. So it makes sense they would want someone keeping a finger on our pulse. :cool:

Reaction Score

Also, a few years ago Chris Jones would occasionally post to the Boneyard baseball threads. I don't think he has done it the last couple of years, but he is certainly familiar with what goes on around here.

Reaction Score
From link on Stadium in post #1 of thread:

>>Seven prominent members of the community stepped forward with major lead gifts, specifically $500,000 from H.D. Hap Bledsoe; $500,000 from the Virginia Farah Foundation, whose president is WSU graduate Eric Namee; $500,000 from longtime baseball supporter Rusty Eck; $225,000 from Southwestern Bell, $500,000 from The Coleman Co., $100,000 from Gerald Michaud and $100,000 from Willard Walpole.<<

One also has to remember Wichita State has had a quality baseball program going back a number of years, having won the College World Series in 1989, and having made I believe 6 other June appearances in Omaha as well. That sort of thing will spark long term interest in a program on the part of fans and donors alike.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Those highlights reminded me of how whiny their announcers were. After almost every hit, they would quantify them with a comment about the wind or about how fortunate our placement luck was.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thanks - as usual - StorrsSouth

Reaction Score
UConn is also in a 3 way tie for first place in the AAC.

American Athletic Conference - 2018 Baseball Standings
standings.jpeg

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Also, five AAC teams are now in the top 50 RPI:

East Carolina - 7
UConn - 8
Wichita State - 19
South Florida - 31
Central Florida - 46

American Athletic Conference Standings 2018 College Baseball - WarrenNolan.com

With both AAC Florida schools now in the top 50, UConn now has a record of 7-3 against schools in the RPI top 50.

St Johns just outside the Top 50 at #54, which would bump us up to 9-4.

Cart before the horse (I know), but...

Does the Selection Committee consider facilities when they choose their Regional Hosts?

Reaction Score
St Johns just outside the Top 50 at #54, which would bump us up to 9-4.

Cart before the horse (I know), but...

Does the Selection Committee consider facilities when they choose their Regional Hosts?

There is no way a regional would be held in Storrs with our current facilities.

I checked this a few days ago. Hartford is not available the first weekend in June, as I believe the Yard Goats are at home that weekend. Remember, in 2010 UConn hosted the first round of the NCAA's in Norwich at Dodd Stadium, and the games drew very well that weekend. I think Dodd Stadium might be available, as the Connecticut Tigers don't start play until mid June.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

I checked this a few days ago. Hartford is not available the first weekend in June, as I believe the Yard Goats are at home that weekend. Remember, in 2010 UConn hosted the first round of the NCAA's in Norwich at Dodd Stadium, and the games drew very well that weekend. I think Dodd Stadium might be available, as the Connecticut Tigers don't start play until mid June.

I was wondering this myself. Dodd Stadium is quite nice in its own right, and it would be cool to return there.

Today is a big game. We can easily mail this one in, knowing we still had a successful week. Then again, perhaps this team enjoys their high RPI and will fight like hell to stay there. I am curious to see how we play today.

Reaction Score

Interesting. Thank you!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom