Uconn #2?

Louisville will certainly drop to at least fourth, depending of course on what happens this weekend. ND played like crap and still won.

HuskyNan

Administrator
Why would Louisville drop? They lost to the #1 team on its home court and anyone that saw the game knew it was closer than the final score.

There’s no trophy for being ranked #1, BTW. I actually like having the team be the underdog - keeps ‘em hungrier

Drumguy

Numbers Guru
Why would Louisville drop? They lost to the #1 team on its home court and anyone that saw the game knew it was closer than the final score.

There’s no trophy for being ranked #1, BTW. I actually like having the team be the underdog - keeps ‘em hungrier
Just if/then logic. We beat ND (should have been ranked #2 anyway imho, but the whole rankings were messed up - Baylor made its case to be #1, not sure why we'd be ranked behind a ND when we just beat them pretty handily on their home court) and they beat LV. It won't matter shortly as we play LV so there will be direct results.
Personally, I like the highest ranking we can get. Keeps our mystique shiny and new!

My thought would be since the number 3 team immediately behind them beat N D at home

UConn should be number 1 if they win at Louisville on the 31st but common sense isn’t so common anymore. Regardless, for this team I’m more worried about matchups & where Baylor & MS St. land on the bracket. If we can get them both on the opposite side as us I’d gladly take a 2-seed. Everything else before the tournament is just white noise.

Louisville will certainly move down, probably down to at least 4th. Its just the nature of the polls. Even if just the 10 voters who gave them 1st place votes last week move them down a spot, that would be enough to drop them below UConn. My guess is they will be 4th, but I could hear arguments to drop them more, since Oregon, Stanford and Mississippi State all have better wins on the resume. This all assumes that polls make sense, which they pretty consistently don't.

EricLA

Cronus
My best guess:

1)ND
2)UCONN
3)Baylor
4)L'ville
5)Oregon

It's really tough because Baylor beat UCONN convincingly but lost to Stanford. Stanford lost to Gonzaga. Oregon lost to Michigan State. ND lost to UCONN. Honestly, IMHO it should be

1)Baylor
2)UCONN
3)ND
4)L'ville
5)Oregon

Had Baylor not lost to Stanford, they'd likely be #1. Charlie Creme can say what he wants about "no one is assured a 1 seed". Baylor and UCONN have the easiest roads in their conferences. ND does not face L'ville again unless it's in the conference tourney. Stanford and Oregon and Oregon State will all face off at least once. I have a feeling the Pac 12 will push all the teams to 2 seeds unless one of them runs the table. If L'ville loses to UCONN and then to ND again in the ACC tourney, I could see them dropping too.

Lots of hoops to be played. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but Baylor, UCONN and ND are all significantly in the driver's seats and would have to have a serious blip to fall to a 2 seed. If L'ville beats UCONN, I could see them as a 1 seed and UCONN dropping since the rest of our schedule is weak.

Agree LV played a nip and tuck game. Unbiased (I think) my view was that the REFS had a preference--especially not calling a foul on the WIND that blew Turner down. Arike could have been called many times. ND used the wrap your arm around the defender --as they did often with Steff- and somehow the fouls were called not on ND. ??? I guess I just don't understand the new foul rules..
Edit: 1 or 2 are only numbers until the last game of the year then 1 is the only number. Uconn has no interest in any number until the last one.

My best guess:

1)ND
2)UCONN
3)Baylor
4)L'ville
5)Oregon

It's really tough because Baylor beat UCONN convincingly but lost to Stanford. Stanford lost to Gonzaga. Oregon lost to Michigan State. ND lost to UCONN. Honestly, IMHO it should be

1)Baylor
2)UCONN
3)ND
4)L'ville
5)Oregon

Had Baylor not lost to Stanford, they'd likely be #1. Charlie Creme can say what he wants about "no one is assured a 1 seed". Baylor and UCONN have the easiest roads in their conferences. ND does not face L'ville again unless it's in the conference tourney. Stanford and Oregon and Oregon State will all face off at least once. I have a feeling the Pac 12 will push all the teams to 2 seeds unless one of them runs the table. If L'ville loses to UCONN and then to ND again in the ACC tourney, I could see them dropping too.

Lots of hoops to be played. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but Baylor, UCONN and ND are all significantly in the driver's seats and would have to have a serious blip to fall to a 2 seed. If L'ville beats UCONN, I could see them as a 1 seed and UCONN dropping since the rest of our schedule is weak.

With 5 or 10 minutes out of Olivia (as she did in the ND game) against anyone I like Uconn's chances against most big teams. Just having her in those games, with or without fouls, is a plus. Touly too is a factor Geno is adding. Hold on to your seats this may end up being one heck of a fun ride, bumpy maybe, but fun.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Good points Eric. I would say ND stays 1 but not clear cut and they seem not to be the ugly step sister like everyone else. Uconn 2, Louisville 3 for now with Baylor 4. I don't see the Baylor win as clear cut as some. Uconn has played a brutal schedule, they played their worst game on the tail end, on the road, doubt that will happen again. Without the run at the start of the game where Landrum hit those 3s the game could have been different even with Uconn playing the worst basketball. But UCLA should be ranked, .just JK :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
I will just put this out there for discussion sake - UConn convincingly beat ND by 18 on ND's court. This fact seems to have been lost by the voters.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
This has been pointed out before, but for all intensive purposes there was a 3-way tie for 1st in last week's rankings:

14 points separated ND/Lou/UConn in the AP poll, 20 pts separated them in the Coaches poll.

In fact, in the AP poll, only 28 points separated #1 (ND) from #4 (Baylor.) By comparison, 71 points separated Baylor from #5 Oregon.

ND's best win is Louisville.
UConn's best win is ND.
Louisville's best win is Kentucky.
Baylor's best win is UConn.
Oregon's best win is Miss St.
Stanford's best win is Baylor.
Miss. St's best win is Texas.

FWIW, by going 1-1 against ND and Stanford, Gonzaga has done just about as well as any of the other top teams against "elite" competition.

EricLA

Cronus
This has been pointed out before, but for all intensive purposes there was a 3-way tie for 1st in last week's rankings:

14 points separated ND/Lou/UConn in the AP poll, 20 pts separated them in the Coaches poll.

In fact, in the AP poll, only 28 points separated #1 (ND) from #4 (Baylor.) By comparison, 71 points separated Baylor from #5 Oregon.

ND's best win is Louisville.
UConn's best win is ND.
Louisville's best win is Kentucky.
Baylor's best win is UConn.
Oregon's best win is Miss St.
Stanford's best win is Baylor.
Miss. St's best win is Texas.

FWIW, by going 1-1 against ND and Stanford, Gonzaga has done just about as well as any of the other top teams against "elite" competition.
LOGIC?? How dare you! ;)

Maybe ND is #1 again because they were the Preseason #1 and now the voters can vote like they did back then.

Baylor's biggest competition left may be ISU. They shoot the 3 really well and that is one of the ways' to beat Baylor.

It's hard to figure out what happens to Louisville. Since they have one loss to no.1,but best win is Kentucky.

If only ;)there was someway that all the teams could get together and play to determine who was the actual champion of the NCAAWBB. Maybe take a bunch of experts and figure out some way teams could play and be eliminated if they lose. They might even give all the segments of these games sweet elite names ending in some type of final event. I'm not sure but I think I may have something here. I'll keep thinking and you guys try to figure out this ranking system. I'll be in touch.

Their schedule has been a lot harder
Lot harder?! SOS, ND is 1, UConn is 2. At the time they played, UConn was 1; ND was 2.

ND is rated first by Massey because of their offensive production, not their schedule. UConn is second because of their defensive metrics; their schedules to this point in the season are essentially interchangeable.

Sabernetrics really do provide the answers to these questions.