UConn @ #12 UMass Lowell (3/6/20 @ 7:15p) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn @ #12 UMass Lowell (3/6/20 @ 7:15p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Definitely let us down, but what is surprising is we were one of the least penalized teams in the league until tonight. Thank goodness for that because our pk stinks. Tonight was a bad night to committ a crap load of bad penalties. This was a playoff game for all intents and purposes...and we failed at treating it like one. Still, I think these guys can come back and win a road series.

Yes we can take 2 of 3 away from home, but we have the talent currently to be a top 4 team in HE!
That's what grinds me. Message to Cavanaugh - get the boys to Boston!

Cooper11

Cooper 11
Reaction Score
I'm not giving up. They can do this.
Agree...can't give up...I think one of the frustrating things is the Hockey East Playoff structure itself...every year the playoff rankings is decided by a few points top to bottom and they don't even give the lower seed one home game....would feel a lot better this morning if we had at least one home game to show for the effort this year in such a tough conference.

Reaction Score
Agree...can't give up...I think one of the frustrating things is the Hockey East Playoff structure itself...every year the playoff rankings is decided by a few points top to bottom and they don't even give the lower seed one home game....would feel a lot better this morning if we had at least one home game to show for the effort this year in such a tough conference.
I am very annoyed we are not hosting. Can look at so many things that broke poorly, but the failure to get a point in the OT game in Maine is the thing that digs at me the most ( outside of our miserable special teams). However I like the full series at home. Rewards the top teams and although the standings were close our fate was in our own hands.

Cooper11

Cooper 11
Reaction Score
I am very annoyed we are not hosting. Can look at so many things that broke poorly, but the failure to get a point in the OT game in Maine is the thing that digs at me the most ( outside of our miserable special teams). However I like the full series at home. Rewards the top teams and although the standings were close our fate was in our own hands.
Actually agree with a lot of what you say here...That Maine OT is still hard to shake...Special teams... Uhhhhhg...and it was in UCONN hands...If they won last night I probably would be saying how much I love all the games at home...LOL

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was looking forward to live hockey next week. I guess I can hit the Wolf Pack on Wednesday.

Reaction Score
Long time visitor to this place....first comment ever. There are a few points I’d like to make.
1. The Huskies have real talent, more than ever before. I guess that’s Cav’s fault.
But seriously, do you think they’re more talented than BC, BU, PC, UMASS, UML, NE. ? I don’t think so. Some of you guys write like everybody else stocks their roster with Dlll wannabes. They don’t...a pile of them are in the NHL.
2. Stop bitchin about the OT loss in Maine. UConn is the only team to take 2 points home from Maine this year. If you want to bitch, bitch about the terrible loss to Merrimack at XL... there’s your 2 points and home ice.
3. Cav and Co. have done a great job melding a bunch of young guys from all over the globe. How well do you think you’d adjust to Moscow or Kiev or someplace completely foreign to you if you were 19 or 20? It took a while, sure, but it’s been a pretty good second half hasn’t it?
4. Special teams need to improve, no doubt about it. Until then, stay out of the sin bin next week.

I’ve got more but that’s enough for now.

Reaction Score
If you watched the OT loss to Maine you would understand why we are bitching. A Terrible mental error Resulted in awful play that directly lead to the goal I. A game we largely outplayed them in.

Reaction Score
Sucks to not host but lets move on. If you told me after the Merrimack game we'd be the 5 seed I would have said impossible.
Maine's got a great goalie but we were 2-0 against them and almost 3-0. I'm not afraid. Their offense sucks. They are beatable. Sit back and enjoy.

Reaction Score
Sucks to not host but lets move on. If you told me after the Merrimack game we'd be the 5 seed I would have said impossible.
Maine's got a great goalie but we were 2-0 against them and almost 3-0. I'm not afraid. Their offense sucks. They are beatable. Sit back and enjoy.

After the early part of the season it was really touch and go that UConn would even make the Hockey East playoffs. To be in the running at the end for a shot at hosing a Hockey East playoff is just a testament to how much this team improved in January and February.

Reaction Score
Long time visitor to this place....first comment ever. There are a few points I’d like to make.
1. The Huskies have real talent, more than ever before. I guess that’s Cav’s fault.
But seriously, do you think they’re more talented than BC, BU, PC, UMASS, UML, NE. ? I don’t think so. Some of you guys write like everybody else stocks their roster with Dlll wannabes. They don’t...a pile of them are in the NHL.
2. Stop bitchin about the OT loss in Maine. UConn is the only team to take 2 points home from Maine this year. If you want to bitch, bitch about the terrible loss to Merrimack at XL... there’s your 2 points and home ice.
3. Cav and Co. have done a great job melding a bunch of young guys from all over the globe. How well do you think you’d adjust to Moscow or Kiev or someplace completely foreign to you if you were 19 or 20? It took a while, sure, but it’s been a pretty good second half hasn’t it?
4. Special teams need to improve, no doubt about it. Until then, stay out of the sin bin next week.

I’ve got more but that’s enough for now.

6 years with Cavanaugh should be enough time for him to meld a top echelon team from the very good talent that has graced the XL ice. I have said he is a premier # 2 coach and a great recruiter. However, that doesn't make him a great game coach. Simply put, he hasn't shown himself to be a premier # 1 coach.

Time has come for him to produce - period - end of story!. Bottom line - he needs his team to excel and exceed expectations. They controlled their own destiny this weekend and it slipped away against a team they should have handled. If this were year 1,2 or even 3, I would be (and, in fact, was) forgiving. But, he has been here long enough to put it together! IMO - it is "get it done or get out"! So go to Maine, take care of business and get ready for Boston! I'll sing his praises if UConn advances, but he must show us he can do it! In sum, just win! No excuses! Just win!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's almost funny how playing at Maine is the worst possible draw. Any other game is an up and back for a fan..

Reaction Score
Yeah. I was planning to travel to the series if it was anywhere but Maine. Still have not ruled it out entirely but that’s a long drive. Is Orono a fun town??

Reaction Score
There are 3 breweries and a planetarium. Planetariums are cool, especially if they do laser Floyd. That's all I got for ya. It's a 5+ hour drive.

Reaction Score
It's almost funny how playing at Maine is the worst possible draw. Any other game is an up and back for a fan..
That just means a lot of us will take out our lack of going to games on the TD garden.

Reaction Score
It is a long ride.
However, the long term weather looks "okay" given it is March in Orono.

Reaction Score
I was bitching myself as I watched the OT loss in Maine....I saw the same mistake happen last night in the last minute of the Bruins game- it resulted in an empty netter for Tampa.
I think I’ve got a pretty good idea of the Huskies abilities. I’ve been in the arena for 19 Husky games this year, including UML Friday night. Lowell’s goalie was on fire and we had our usual man down problems. We could have won that game, but it’s a stretch to say we should have won. Both teams were fighting for home ice. Shockingly, home team won. I believe the season series ended 1-1-1.
I surely hope they win 2 games in Maine- they’re capable. Let’s hope they’re lucky too!
I’m curious Sea Goat- what do you think their record should be? Where do you think they should have finished in HE.

Reaction Score
I was bitching myself as I watched the OT loss in Maine....I saw the same mistake happen last night in the last minute of the Bruins game- it resulted in an empty netter for Tampa.
I think I’ve got a pretty good idea of the Huskies abilities. I’ve been in the arena for 19 Husky games this year, including UML Friday night. Lowell’s goalie was on fire and we had our usual man down problems. We could have won that game, but it’s a stretch to say we should have won. Both teams were fighting for home ice. Shockingly, home team won. I believe the season series ended 1-1-1.
I surely hope they win 2 games in Maine- they’re capable. Let’s hope they’re lucky too!
I’m curious Sea Goat- what do you think their record should be? Where do you think they should have finished in HE.

Belaboring the obvious - even 1 more point out of 4 vs. MC or 1 more point out of 4 when you control your destiny as we did vs. UMass and UML and you have home ice. UMass is a good team but they were down personel. (I tell you though we need a second trustworthy goalie - that scenario has paid huge dividends for UMass) We are simply a better team match-up than UML and 2-0-1 or 1-0-2 vs. them would have done it.

BC is ahead of the pack and I didn't expect a point there. I do think we could have played PC more competitively. We matched up well against them IMO. So 27 - 28 points is where I think we should have been without any extraordinary luck. Thus, we should have been a top 4 team IMO.

The boys can do it in Orono, but it will be slog. We can all agree that our PK and PP have to improve. I hope that is the focus for prep this week. In years 1 - 3 or 4, Cavanaugh could expect a pass. This is season 7. It's time for him to put a big notch in his belt and get the team to Boston. I look at that as a big accomplishment, that is overdue. Then what happens in Boston depends how well we play with house money!

Reaction Score
I mean they won like 8 out of 9 Hockey East games and then lost two close road games against top teams and people are still pissing on Cavanaugh? I pissed on Cavanaugh after the Merrimack loss (rightly so of course) and then stopped after they put up an AWESOME run that no one expected.

It's OK to give the guy some credit.

Oh wait, see you just won 8 of 9 or whatever and that just proves you're a bad coach cuz you lost to Merrimack before the hot streak!

That's not how this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul