UConn’s plan for cutting $10 million from its athletic budget will be presented Friday and could shape the department for years to come (Amore) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn’s plan for cutting $10 million from its athletic budget will be presented Friday and could shape the department for years to come (Amore)

Reaction Score
Kind of apples and oranges. FSU looks like a nice on campus clinic facility. UConn Health is a full service hospital.

Link

FSU's Med school provides clinical services at their partner hospital...Tallahassee Memorial...I have received my primary care med service for 20 years through FSU med folks attached there...a 727 bed acute care facility.

Also at their Primary Health Facility...on campus

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In today’s healthcare market in the US, it’s all above leverage to get reduced supply costs, increased health insurance rates, more patient volume through an expansive network, and brand to attract specialized leaders who then increase patient volume. Public hospitals, such as UConn, do also have to tend to the financial challenge of being a ‘safety-net’ or ‘last-resort’ medical provider, though most public hospitals can make-up some of those loses through Federal Medicare and Medicaid subsidies. But, that again is a volume business and volume is in cities, not lightly populated suburbs (nothing against Farmington, it’s a great town to raise a family) whereas even the neighboring cities have their own hospitals – Bristol, New Britain (Central CT Hospital), Meriden (MidtState), and Hartford (Hartford and St. Francis). That’s a lot of competition and doesn’t even include the 500-pound gorilla in the State, Yale New Haven, nor that fact that world-caliber hospitals in Boston and New York are less than a 2-hour drive from parts of the Connecticut. Most University Hospitals have a market to themselves – UMass (Worcester), UVM (Burlington), SUNY Upstate (Syracuse), SUNY Buffalo, Penn State (Hershey/Harrisburg), U Pittsburgh, Ohio State (Columbus), etc. Others that succeed in crowded market are a combination of world class (UNC, UCLA), or are in larger markets (Rutgers [thought University Hospital has its own financial issues which in part lead to Rutgers' take-over of UMDNJ], U Minnesota in Minneapolis, U Washington in Seattle, U Texas in Houston). Having a State, University hospital I believe is important to Connecticut; but, it should have never been established in Farmington. A joint program with Hartford Hospital or another similar arrangement would have been more viable.
My very limited understanding is that there are quality, management issues that make it a less desirable facility, but I don't know the details.

Reaction Score
In today’s healthcare market in the US, it’s all above leverage to get reduced supply costs, increased health insurance rates, more patient volume through an expansive network, and brand to attract specialized leaders who then increase patient volume. Public hospitals, such as UConn, do also have to tend to the financial challenge of being a ‘safety-net’ or ‘last-resort’ medical provider, though most public hospitals can make-up some of those loses through Federal Medicare and Medicaid subsidies. But, that again is a volume business and volume is in cities, not lightly populated suburbs (nothing against Farmington, it’s a great town to raise a family) whereas even the neighboring cities have their own hospitals – Bristol, New Britain (Central CT Hospital), Meriden (MidtState), and Hartford (Hartford and St. Francis). That’s a lot of competition and doesn’t even include the 500-pound gorilla in the State, Yale New Haven, nor that fact that world-caliber hospitals in Boston and New York are less than a 2-hour drive from parts of the Connecticut. Most University Hospitals have a market to themselves – UMass (Worcester), UVM (Burlington), SUNY Upstate (Syracuse), SUNY Buffalo, Penn State (Hershey/Harrisburg), U Pittsburgh, Ohio State (Columbus), etc. Others that succeed in crowded market are a combination of world class (UNC, UCLA), or are in larger markets (Rutgers [thought University Hospital has its own financial issues which in part lead to Rutgers' take-over of UMDNJ], U Minnesota in Minneapolis, U Washington in Seattle, U Texas in Houston). Having a State, University hospital I believe is important to Connecticut; but, it should have never been established in Farmington. A joint program with Hartford Hospital or another similar arrangement would have been more viable.

They have tried for years and years and years to find a suitable joint venture w/o success.

UConn Health Center's fiscal problem is captured in this article (trying not to spin this into a political debate on state retirement and salary/benefits).

I would also say that the Hartford Healthcare and Yale New Haven Health gorillas weigh 450lbs each. ;)

Reaction Score
We can't even get lacrosse started at UConn. Elitist stigma. Being a "public Ivy" don't mean much in New England. Besides beating Ivies for football players.

Kids in Darien don't dream of going to UConn.
Kids in Darien, New Canaan and especially Greenwich do go to UConn. (At Greenwich, UConn is by far the most popular college -- about 10 percent of the senior class!) And from what I understand they love it, learn a lot, make friends, and land great jobs after college. Many also play sports. Lacrosse would be great add for UConn, and we should get some more money for sailing and polo when things calm down.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Great post

Reaction Score
Here is the thing about our yearly UConn Health Center deficits- other schools have medical colleges. Iowa has a children's hospital overlooking their football stadium. Are other State University Hospitals all losing money like UConn's and if not why not?
Don't know about state univ hospitals in general, but in many traditional B1G 10 states the B1G university hosts the state's top medical school and typically one of if not its' top-ranked hospital(s). No Johns Hopkins, Penns, etc, or in CT, YNHH. Iowa City, not Des Moines, has the state's top-research hospital, UofI's few merged facilities, plus a Catholic hospital and a big VA hospital. Big medical destination, well-funded historically and currently out of need/top-priority, etc. Not a Johnny-come-lately a la UConn hospital with long-existing, major established competition a la Hartford Hospital, St Francis, etc. Massive difference: CT vs IA.

Reaction Score
Don't know about state univ hospitals in general, but in many traditional B1G 10 states the B1G university hosts the state's top medical school and typically one of if not its' top-ranked hospital(s). No Johns Hopkins, Penns, etc, or in CT, YNHH. Iowa City, not Des Moines, has the state's top-research hospital, UofI's few merged facilities, plus a Catholic hospital and a big VA hospital. Big medical destination, well-funded historically and currently out of need/top-priority, etc. Not a Johnny-come-lately a la UConn hospital with long-existing, major established competition a la Hartford Hospital, St Francis, etc. Massive difference: CT vs IA.

If Lamont and the legislature would vote to eliminate the State pension for UConn Health workers and put them on 401K's then maybe HHC or St Francis would move to acquire the facility. You can not have the pension liabilities that come with that facility and it's personal and succeed in today's private health care environment. That place could drag the rest of the University down.

Reaction Score
UConn has a fantastic medical school. Many of its graduates have tremendous careers. Many in world renowned institutions. The John Dempsey Hospital in Farmington is an excellent institution, but it lacks renown. It needs a cache...like we are the best at.... and they need to have an endowment that can carry the institution. Like UConn in general, the money is not there. For an health care institution to make money, they need to be special at a certain type of surgery and lots of it. Is there any surgical specialty that is foremost in the public's mind at UConn? Not to my knowledge. As the song goes, " You gotta have a gimmick..." I don't think UConn has a gimmick to generate some dough. Really tough times now for most hospitals.

Reaction Score
There is a fundamental difference between a teaching hospital and others. They are not expected to break even. In my opinion academic medicine is superior. They have got guys writing papers, doing research, and teaching students. Those are the kind of docs I want taking care of me.

Reaction Score
They have tried for years and years and years to find a suitable joint venture w/o success.

UConn Health Center's fiscal problem is captured in this article (trying not to spin this into a political debate on state retirement and salary/benefits).

I would also say that the Hartford Healthcare and Yale New Haven Health gorillas weigh 450lbs each. ;)

Hartford is good and it has a strong network in the Hartford area, so maybe the 300 lb gorilla. Yale's the 500 lb gorilla as they are step below the big hospitals in NYC and Boston and honestly would be better known nationally if they had are airport with decent service nearby (Bradley is just as far away as Kennedy, though a lot easier, and Tweed doesn't really count). But, Yale knows where the money is, which is why they control both Bridgeport and Greenwich Hospitals along with Lawrence Memorial in the opposite direction in New London (they also have Westerly, when did Yale move into RI?) and also use Norwalk Hospital as a teaching center. Of course, if Yale New Have is a 500 lb gorilla, that makes New York Presbyterian Hospital and Mass General Brigham more like the 3 ton elephant.

Reaction Score
UConn has a fantastic medical school. Many of its graduates have tremendous careers. Many in world renowned institutions. The John Dempsey Hospital in Farmington is an excellent institution, but it lacks renown. It needs a cache...like we are the best at.... and they need to have an endowment that can carry the institution. Like UConn in general, the money is not there. For an health care institution to make money, they need to be special at a certain type of surgery and lots of it. Is there any surgical specialty that is foremost in the public's mind at UConn? Not to my knowledge. As the song goes, " You gotta have a gimmick..." I don't think UConn has a gimmick to generate some dough. Really tough times now for most hospitals.

That's true, especially in a crowded market. Rutgers' Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick is well know nationally for cancer treatment in part due to the influence of Johnson & Johnson, Bristol Myers Squibb,a and Merck and due to the crazy rates of cancer in parts of New Jersey.

Reaction Score

As I pointed out, that is an factor. Off the top of my head, very few State University medical hospitals have to compete with a large, top-notch private university medical hospitals and even fewer suceed. UNC does very well agants Duke in a market that is not much bigger than Hartford, though Duke has a stronger rep for resaearch while UNC has a rep for primary care. Other winners, such as U Texas v Rice/Baylor in Houston and UCLA v. USC in Los Angeles and UCSF v. Stanford in San Francisco are in much bigger markets. UIC (v. both U Chicago and Northwestern in Chicago), U Maryland (v. Johns Hopkins in Baltimore), Temple (v. U Penn in Philly) and Rutgers (v. Cornell/Columbia in NYC) have also played second fiddle. Such consideration also likley led to UMass's medical school being plopped down in Worcester and not Boston, why URI doesn't have a medical school (v Brown in Provodince) and why the realtively new Michigan St medical school was established in Grand Rapids, Michigan's second largest city, instead of running against U Michigan in Detroit.

Reaction Score
Hartford is good and it has a strong network in the Hartford area, so maybe the 300 lb gorilla. Yale's the 500 lb gorilla as they are step below the big hospitals in NYC and Boston and honestly would be better known nationally if they had are airport with decent service nearby (Bradley is just as far away as Kennedy, though a lot easier, and Tweed doesn't really count). But, Yale knows where the money is, which is why they control both Bridgeport and Greenwich Hospitals along with Lawrence Memorial in the opposite direction in New London (they also have Westerly, when did Yale move into RI?) and also use Norwalk Hospital as a teaching center. Of course, if Yale New Have is a 500 lb gorilla, that makes New York Presbyterian Hospital and Mass General Brigham more like the 3 ton elephant.

Westerly joined Yale New Haven Health System in 2017.

Hartford Health is now also in Bridgeport w/ the acquisition of St Vincent’s Hospital @ the end of last year. Their reach outside greater Hartford rivals Yale’s.

They are both currently collaborating on a joint Proton Therapy Center in Wallingford which will the first between NYC and Boston.

Reaction Score
There is a fundamental difference between a teaching hospital and others. They are not expected to break even. In my opinion academic medicine is superior. They have got guys writing papers, doing research, and teaching students. Those are the kind of docs I want taking care of me.
The problem for patients with the academic system is that one often does not have one doctor for the entire treatment if it is prolonged. They have to rotate off clinical services to do research. teaching. Perhaps travel to meetings, conferences off site. The care can at times be fragmented. I am not saying it is wrong but for some instances it is not ideal. Most doctors keep up with medical education as a lifetime commitment. I am not arguing with you as I have been in academics my whole life, but one can get excellent care in a nonacademic setting.

Reaction Score

Hartford Health is now also in Bridgeport w/ the acquisition of St Vincent’s Hospital @ the end of last year. Their reach outside greater Hartford rivals Yale’s.

They are both currently collaborating on a joint Proton Therapy Center in Wallingford which will the first between NYC and Boston.
It is too bad that UConn didn't jump on the Proton band wagon. It is a cash cow.

Reaction Score
That's true, especially in a crowded market. Rutgers' Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick is well know nationally for cancer treatment in part due to the influence of Johnson & Johnson, Bristol Myers Squibb,a and Merck and due to the crazy rates of cancer in parts of New Jersey.

MSK is in Middleton and Basking Ridge. Unfortunately they have had to add full day Saturday’s to handle the load. If I have cancer in the tri state I’m going to YNH or MSK.

Reaction Score
MSK is in Middleton and Basking Ridge. Unfortunately they have had to add full day Saturday’s to handle the load. If I have cancer in the tri state I’m going to YNH or MSK.

My sister has travelled up from Florida to Sloan Kettering in NYC for her cancer treatment....expert cancer guys...

Reaction Score
They both has different strengths. The association of Dana Farber with Brigham is really great.

Reaction Score
My sister has travelled up from Florida to Sloan Kettering in NYC for her cancer treatment....expert cancer guys...
I thought FSU was the best place in the universe! How could this be? Why didn't you send her to BC? Oh wait...they don't have a medical school!

Reaction Score
I thought FSU was the best place in the universe! How could this be? Why didn't you send her to BC? Oh wait...they don't have a medical school!

Bitter much? My brother in law's family are New Yorkers...They visit during her stays...Take in a Broadway show...My sister is in good hands...a lot of good cancer folks in Florida, but one of the best in her area is at Sloan Kettering.

My radiation and surgery was at the Tallahassee Memorial Hospital and the Tallahassee Cancer Center...hanging in so far.

Reaction Score

Hartford Health is expanding their presence in se CT also. Their latest project was completed earller this year or last. Its a large facility that can be accessed at the end of the same road as the main parking lot for the aquarium. See it off I95N.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Let’s go all in on sailing.

Brown just bumped up their women's and coed sailing teams to varsity. Squash and equestrian took it in the six o'clock position and got downgraded to club.

"Men’s and women’s fencing, men’s and women’s golf, women’s skiing, men’s and women’s squash, women’s equestrian, men’s indoor track and field, men’s outdoor track and field and men’s cross country will all transition to club status. Women’s sailing and coed sailing will transition from club to varsity status."

Reaction Score
Bitter much? My brother in law's family are New Yorkers...They visit during her stays...Take in a Broadway show...My sister is in good hands...a lot of good cancer folks in Florida, but one of the best in her area is at Sloan Kettering.

My radiation and surgery was at the Tallahassee Memorial Hospital and the Tallahassee Cancer Center...hanging in so far.
Yes. Very bitter. Especially now with what is happening financially to UConn, when it could have been avoided. Whole country is angry.However, I am happy that your sister is getting excellent treatment and that you are also doing well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom