UConn’s plan for cutting $10 million from its athletic budget will be presented Friday and could shape the department for years to come (Amore) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn’s plan for cutting $10 million from its athletic budget will be presented Friday and could shape the department for years to come (Amore)

Reaction Score
If UConn cuts hockey, my women's basketball season tickets will join my hockey season tickets in the dumpster.
Agree! Plus my football tickets, men's basketball, and associated seat donations. Baseball too.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If UConn cuts hockey at this point in history, things are much worse for the athletic department than anyone could have imagined.

Reaction Score
I don't think this will save the $$$ the university is looking for, but here's what I think they cut:

- Men's Swim & Dive
- Men's Golf
- Men's Tennis
- Women's Tennis

These are not "team sports" - they focus on the individual and they don't help diversity numbers. As successful and well supported as they may be, they just don't improve the university's bottom line or provide enough fiscal and non-fiscal benefits to keep them on the books.

Of course UConn is playing with a lot more 000s in the budget, but trust me, CCSU went through this exercise more than once.

CCSU cut three sports (M/W Tennis and M Swimming) after the 2001-02 season. More recently, Central cut two more sports (M/W Golf) at the end of the 2018 season. Back in 1996, CCSU cut Wrestling after sponsoring the sport for 28 years. Just two sports - WSoccer and WLacrosse - have been added since the Blue Devils joined the Division I ranks in the 1986-87 season

Central Connecticut currently sponsor 16 NCAA D-I sports, all in the Northeast Conference (NEC), including football.

Reaction Score
Again, this is a hockey market (yeah insert Whalers attendace jokes here but they were a HORRIBLE product by and large and were supported in their brief hey-day), and attendance has been good to at times GREAT for the UConn hockey program. And that's without being an upper tier program yet.

I know stranger things have happened, but that's a massive shock if they would ever do that. I just can't see it no matter how many times its mentioned in this thread.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Swimming & Diving is going no where but back into the pool. Lots of $$ has been raised

Reaction Score
It would be brilliant if part of this public announcement by the school would be to get donations to start funneling in. I'm sure that was part of it.

Reaction Score
So when do the actual details get released. Thought it got pushed from last week to yesterday ?

Reaction Score
I would not be shocked to see Men's Hockey cut. The basketball programs see hockey as a threat and we all know that the basketball programs get what they want at UConn. Women's Ice Hockey might stay to preserve gender equity but maybe not even them.
Per upcoming BOT agenda the new $68 million dollars hockey arena is a go. University capital construction projects are a stimulus to the Connecticut economy.

Reaction Score
Yeah sucks. Surprised women isn’t part of it. Golf, men’s and women’s tennis seem like most obvious cuts.

I would expect 1 women's scholarship cut for every men's scholarship cut. It doesn't make sense that they would cut men's swimming and not women's swimming. Part of the financial savings should be pool maintenance.

Reaction Score
Swimswam?

I have to wonder if this has always been in the cards. While it is outdated, I save a copy of a 'Master' plan from 2015. It is outdated, such as the Rec Center was built were the old Grad Dorms were instead of replacing the old part o the Field house. But, the map shows an expanded Gampel taking over the space where Wolff-Zackin is today.

Attachments

• 2015.pdf
    366.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Swimming, golf, volleyball and softball have never done much from a championship perspective. If u going to send them all over the country to compete they needed to be better. Move them to club level and move on

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom