UCLA @ Stanford - 12/29/17 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCLA @ Stanford - 12/29/17

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
With UConn, Canada was 5-16.
With Stanford she was 7-28.
You think she is a great player?
You think KLS is really good and she, just like all good players, has had some terrible shooting games. If a player is judged by two games when their shots did not fall, then all players are overrated. Also, good players do more than shoot accurately.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
You think KLS is really good and she, just like all good players, has had some terrible shooting games. If a player is judged by two games when their shots did not fall, then all players are overrated. Also, good players do more than shoot accurately.

Canada is a really good player - it looks like she just tries to take on too much of the load against the better teams. She needs to develop her game a little more and be less predictable. If the other team knows you are going to try and be the one to score every time down the floor, it makes it easier on them to defend that. She needs to pass a little more, look for other team mates to pick up some scoring and not do everything herself.

She played really well against UCONN and the shooting percentage didn't tell the story of how hard she played and how well she played defense. I think that's what Geno took notice of - he loves a competitor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To whom? Billings could do nothing inside while starters Hayes and Drummer took 3 shots and made one. I've seen better offensive game plans on junior high playgrounds. Poor Canada.
Remember how much we heard about Corey Close being a disciple of Geno. Evidently not so much.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I feel like UCLA's shooting is in a crisis of confidence. It seems like they are just hoping that their shot goes in.
It’s more than just a crisis of confidence. Last year UCLA had 3 long range bombers on the team: Korver, Kornet & Hersler. They’re all gone this year and evidently the Bruins don’t have anyone to replace them.

Reaction Score
Don't compare KLS with Canada, and I never compare those two before.
If you like a player it is your own business to praise her, and I respect your opinion.
I said a player is overrated it is my opinion and I wish you respect my opinion.
Got it? Or you can ignore me.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed this game.
it shows a number of things. While I still don't see Stanford being a championship contender they only will get better as the year goes along. McPhee is an amazing player and talent and either a first or second team AA.
Canada has unbelievable speed and is a force on the court but seems to often be a bit out of control. She actually needs to become more predictable, and in control, which is the sign of a great point guard. In comparing her to Ionescu and Dangerfield here's what I see. At this point Sabrina I believe is the best point guard (although some will call her an off guard). She's aware of the court and her teammates at all times and doesn't have a propensity to shoot first. Dangerfield has improved enormously and will only continue to get better as she's in and then has learned to recognize more situations as they arise on the court. Canada is a senior and is and will be a very good WNBA player but her strengths are also her weaknesses.
I was not impressed at all by UCLA's offense (and certainly not their defense) and think their coach Close has a ways to go before she's close to an elite coach.
Tara on the other hand is amongst the top five women's college bb coaches of all time.
I think even with it still being very early U Conn have some major advantages. The very best coach and coaching staff maybe of all time in any basketball program. A team concept both offensively and defensively which doesn't rely on a star player. Their talent this year is amazing and will only mesh better as the year progresses.
When they lost last year I think part of it was no one player was prepared to step up and take control. All year their team concept got them to where they were but in rough moments a great player needs to take hold. I believe KLS or Stevens will take that on if need be. This is not to downplay the other four players but I don't see that quality in their game, at least so far.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If you like a player it is your own business to praise her, and I respect your opinion.
I said a player is overrated it is my opinion and I wish you respect my opinion.
Got it.

Reaction Score
Remember how much we heard about Corey Close being a disciple of Geno. Evidently not so much.
As the Master in Kung told the lead---Some things only the MASTER can do, GRASS HOPPER! --
It is easy to do NEARLY everything Geno does, his methods are easily replicated--METHODS and practices and theories can and shall be replicated--heck anyone can do it.\
If it's Psychology---that's taught well in many schools --and weller in others--
The FBI and CIA and KGB spent trillions perfecting--the use and application of Psychology--
From teaching, and raising a passel of chidren (by design) ---Most (I'm prone to say all) will do what is demanded of them--they will live down to your your expectations--again EASY. ]
Only TWO words seem to explain Uconn Success\

GENO == Christine.

Reaction Score
OPINIONS are opinions. Got it , get it , GOOD!
However ONLY KIA can be compare to -----CANADA, she owns it.
I like your new Avatar!! Is that a husky or samoyed?? In either case, my kind of puppy --(I have puppies 10 years old). Thanks for the Avatar!!!

Reaction Score
I like your new Avatar!! Is that a husky or samoyed?? In either case, my kind of puppy --(I have puppies 10 years old). Thanks for the Avatar!!!
BV, long time no see, Happy New Year to you and your family.
Yes, it is a samoyed. Have a one for you:

1668193766de00adf4e374cd6617951a--samoyed-puppies-for-sale-gap.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Even though Stanford stumbled coming out of the blocks to begin the year, they've collected themselves, and managed to win their first 2 conference games this weekend and stand at 8-6. If anyone had planned to shovel dirt on them, I'd hold off on that idea a while longer. The fat lady is not singing yet. She's not even clearing her throat. :cool:

Post script edit..................NEW YORK -- One week after seeing its 17-year run in the poll end, Stanford is back in the Top 25. The Cardinal re-entered the poll at No. 24 on Monday after beating then-No. 11 UCLA and Southern California. Stanford fell out of the poll last week after being ranked in The Associated Press women's basketball poll for 312 consecutive weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom