UCLA postgame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCLA postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think everyone was afraid to start this thread.
The ability to shut off the kid hitting six 3's stands out to me. All alone, standing in the corner unguarded most of the time it seemed.
I think their focus on shutting off the big girls inside—doubling them—made it hard to recover on the three point shooters waiting on the wing.

JBK

Reaction Score
This went the way it had to go. With their front court coming in at 6'7" and 6'4", and ours at 6'3" and 6'3", what did we expect? Outrebounded by 13. Our two forwards (no post) went 2 for 12. Their's scores on nearly half of their shots. We cannot match up against talented teams with multiple bigs. This is how the season will go. Kudos for the courage of Paige, but she is one star without the supporting cast. Aaliyah is going to be ganged up on all season long. We need to get used to this.
The defense does not guard Nika or Aubrey - so it will be hard in the bigs. We have to play full court and create track meets or we cannot compete with the top 10.

Reaction Score
Ok!

That was not great, but I only want to say one thing. Paige not looking for her shot immediately has been the only detriment to her game since she got here, IMO. She has got to shoot the ball every time she touches it(if a shot is there). She passes the ball way too much to open games. If her teammates see her shots going in, it gives them confidence. Unfortunately, she waits far too long to call her own offense.

Reaction Score
The ability to shut off the kid hitting six 3's stands out to me. All alone, standing in the corner unguarded most of the time it seemed.
That was most frustrating. She got off 9 threes making 6 and not a UConn player within 10 feet of her. This team does not guard the 3 line. Why not? Been like that for a couple years now.

Reaction Score
Seems like Aaliyah has gone back to sophomore year. Well…just have to hope Paige gets through the season healthy. She will carry the team to the national championship game but this team doesn’t have enough offense, just like her freshman year

Reaction Score
I've only seen a few clips and read tweets and chats so far. But it looks like Paige's heroics were not enough. But it also looks like this was a game the team could have won even with 4 hands tied behind their back -- which was in fact the case: Azzi Caroline Ayanna Jana. Bad as it was, and as bad as we shot in the 1st and 3rd quarters, those were extremes, and I think even slight improvement and a lot more game experience for the freshmen and we could beat them in March.

1st + 3rd quarters = UCLA 50 - UConn 20
2nd + 4th quarters = UConn 47 - UCLA 28

It's pretty hard to digest that stat.

Reaction Score
I’m in the Nika should not start camp and she is limited in her abilities. But at least she fights and is tough. This team is not tough with a few exceptions. Paige can’t do everything and Geno has to recruit some talented size because he hasn’t gotten it done lately and needs to be held accountable. I love him as our coach and he can’t force players to come here but I’m starting to think that this is the beginning of the end.

Reaction Score
That was most frustrating. She got off 9 threes making 6 and not a UConn player within 10 feet of her. This team does not guard the 3 line. Why not? Been like that for a couple years now.
I don’t get it. We have been letting teams kill us from the 3. Are we just hoping they miss?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This went the way it had to go. With their front court coming in at 6'7" and 6'4", and ours at 6'3" and 6'3", what did we expect? Outrebounded by 13. Our two forwards (no post) went 2 for 12. Their's scores on nearly half of their shots. We cannot match up against talented teams with multiple bigs. This is how the season will go. Kudos for the courage of Paige, but she is one star without the supporting cast. Aaliyah is going to be ganged up on all season long. We need to get used to this.

I don't disagree that size is a major factor for UCONN going forward, especially against big teams, but the box score indicates it was the guards who were winning the rebounding battle. Back court players grabbed 25 boards for UCLA, front court only grabbed 15. It was a similar story vs. NC State and Minnesota too where their guards grabbed a ton of boards.

Reaction Score
said it before the season everyone is disrespecting Ucla, they are a national title contender with the addition of Betts in the offseason. Team doesn't even look like it's reached it's potential.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Some observations

• Paige is awesome. Such a competitor.
  • Aubrey showed some great flashes
  • KK showed some flashed in Q4
  • Some keys to our success
    • We need Ice or Amari to emerge and play the 5, so AE can play the 4. AE is not a 5 against a big post.
    • We also really need another shooter to step up or teams will just focus and be physical with Paige and pack in and double team AE. Hoping Caroline could fill that role but given her injuries not sure. Maybe one of the frosh?
I am interested to see how Geno responds tomorrow as Kansas has a big inside who is going to give AE trouble, and the blueprint is there to disrupt our offense. Tomorrow will be an opportunity for him to adjust.
Amari is and has been a lost cause for some time. By all accounts a great kid but there’s just no fire in her belly.

JBK

Reaction Score
This team is too offensive challenged to be talking about national championship. They literally have no real outside shooter other than Paige.
I am not sure what happened to Q

GG

Reaction Score
I’m in the Nika should not start camp and she is limited in her abilities. But at least she fights and is tough. This team is not tough with a few exceptions. Paige can’t do everything and Geno has to recruit some talented size because he hasn’t gotten it done lately and needs to be held accountable. I love him as our coach and he can’t force players to come here but I’m starting to think that this is the beginning of the end.
Love Nika but her lack of shooting is a problem. Add to that the fact the KK has more offensive skills and I can’t help but wonder if a change is needed. We definitely are lacking in the height department. Wonder if the result of this game would be different if Paige and KK started the game a little more aggressive. It is difficult to play catch-up.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Seems like Aaliyah has gone back to sophomore year. Well…just have to hope Paige gets through the season healthy. She will carry the team to the national championship game but this team doesn’t have enough offense, just like her freshman year
You’re dreaming. Sweet 16 is a realistic goal.

Reaction Score
I think their focus on shutting off the big girls inside—doubling them—made it hard to recover on the three point shooters waiting on the wing.
Listening to the game, it sounded like they would: double Betts, she would kick it out, 2/3 pass on the perimeter, open 3 and in.

I remember Edwards in the ND kind of got worn down by the end by Ebo. I wondered if matching against Betts would be draining like that. Edwards is definitely out of position.

GG

Reaction Score
I am not sure what happened to Q
Q can shoot, but I recall geno saying her confidence wanes a bit when she does not hit her shots early.

Reaction Score
Ok!

That was not great, but I only want to say one thing. Paige not looking for her shot immediately has been the only detriment to her game since she got here, IMO. She has got to shoot the ball every time she touches it(if a shot is there). She passes the ball way too much to open games. If her teammates see her shots going in, it gives them confidence. Unfortunately, she waits far too long to call her own offense.
Because she’s smart enough to know that she needs help.

Reaction Score
Love Nika but her lack of shooting is a problem. Add to that the fact the KK has more offensive skills and I can’t help but wonder if a change is needed. We definitely are lacking in the height department. Wonder if the result of this game would be different if Paige and KK started the game a little more aggressive. It is difficult to play catch-up.
They did start the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32