UCLA postgame | The Boneyard

UCLA postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our embarrassment of riches has shown to be capable of human error once again. We have Paige who has the scoring mentality, but who will be that other player with a Maya-Diana-Stewie mentality? Aaliyah can be streaky. Nobody feels sorry for us as many of these players were All Americans in high school..we have to step it up and be ready. I can still see a potential national championship with this group, but players can't be putting up goose eggs and Amari will have to be given a shot. I hate that Geno gave Charde playing time even with her bad work ethic and habits, but players like DeBerry don't get a window of opportunity..

Reaction Score
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 7.27.39 PM.png

Reaction Score
Pathetic showing. Plain and simple.

Once again, UConn offense struggles and the team was completely out-rebounded on both ends of the court. I don’t know what needs to be done to turn things around but someone better figure it out or this is going to be another rough season. I’m tired of the excuses. We have more than enough capable talent playing right now and are just not getting it done. Paige is the only consistent scorer. That is unacceptable.

We heard pre-season that the team had done some soul searching and the implication was that this was going to be the bounce back year. I don’t see it. Sorry.

I’m not asking for a repeat of the Stewart years. I’m asking for UConn basketball. This is not UConn basketball. If the players were all playing to their potential and still got beat, that would be one thing. But that isn’t what’s happening here. And it’s starting to get exhausting.

Expect another S16 exit this season if the team keeps playing like this.

Someone talk me off the ledge, by all means, because right now all I feel is very pessimistic about this season. For every one step forward we take five steps back.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As bad as we shot outside of Paige, if UCLA shoots threes like they did against Princeton (2-9 from three) we could have possibly won this game. It's all part of the growth process. Unfortunately our upperclasssmen are having a rough time.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
—UCLA has championship talent. I don’t know if Corey can get them across the line.
—Terrible shooting at the start of both halves led to the Husky demise but there is no quit in this team. Man, they play hard until the end.
—I am not sure Liyah can consistently hit that 15 footer. It may have been her worst game in a long time.
—I actually liked Amari battling Betts. She still plagued with poor choices on the offensive end..
—Outside shooting was thought to be a strength at the start. Other than Paige, nobody has been consistent.
—Aubrey has to be more consistent. At times she was invisible, other times dominant.
—I still think Geno is using these early games to figure out what he has. Azzi being out is going to take some time work through but there is still plenty of talent to work with.

Reaction Score
Paige was Paige, saw some good things from Shade and Kk. Amari did some nice things and overall the team battled hard against the #2 team in the Nation. UCLA was very impressive. A nice looking team. UConn showed some good fight which will help during their conference play. I hope the kids get some rest. Tomorrow’s game against Kansas will be a very tough challenge for this team. UConn will need their A+ game. No easy games against Power conference teams.

Reaction Score
Assist to turnover ratio...9/8 not too good, and shooting better from 3 point land rather than 2 pointer is unusual....Personally I was not surprise by the score. We really need scoring help, and that probably won't happen.

Reaction Score
This went the way it had to go. With their front court coming in at 6'7" and 6'4", and ours at 6'3" and 6'3", what did we expect? Outrebounded by 13. Our two forwards (no post) went 2 for 12. Their's scores on nearly half of their shots. We cannot match up against talented teams with multiple bigs. This is how the season will go. Kudos for the courage of Paige, but she is one star without the supporting cast. Aaliyah is going to be ganged up on all season long. We need to get used to this.

Reaction Score
The ability to shut off the kid hitting six 3's stands out to me. All alone, standing in the corner unguarded most of the time it seemed.

Reaction Score
Some observations

• Paige is awesome. Such a competitor.
  • Aubrey showed some great flashes
  • KK showed some flashed in Q4
  • Some keys to our success
    • We need Ice or Amari to emerge and play the 5, so AE can play the 4. AE is not a 5 against a big post.
    • We also really need another shooter to step up or teams will just focus and be physical with Paige and pack in and double team AE. Hoping Caroline could fill that role but given her injuries not sure. Maybe one of the frosh?
I am interested to see how Geno responds tomorrow as Kansas has a big inside who is going to give AE trouble, and the blueprint is there to disrupt our offense. Tomorrow will be an opportunity for him to adjust.

GG

Reaction Score
Amari was a plus on the defensive end and definitely impacted betts. We will need her against the bigger teams. Paige and Aubrey were great, but can’t do it all. KK was very aggressive near the end, but we need to see that sooner.

Reaction Score
What a bad time for Alliyah to shoot 2 for 12. And most of those misses were from under the basket. Plus, she only had 5 rebounds! We need points from our bigs to free up our guards.
What happened to the AE of last year? So disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom