UCLA Game Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UCLA Game Thread

Reaction Score
Stewart and Tuck were on the court usually when Collier came in. Very seldom did all four of the current core four be on the floor together. For those of you who are anointing Walker as a new star be careful. This was her first good scoring game. The next one she may not be able to hit the ocean. This kind of thinking puts unrealistic expectations on some new players and when they don't play as well as some may think, those same people complain about their poor play. Some were bragging on Z and now that she had a poor game, some are complaining about it. Some of you Uconn fans are something else.

That's not true. Walker has played very well in her last 2 games. She actually had a better game statistically against Maryland 12pts/7rbs than she did tonight 13pts/3rbs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but let's remember that that is not her natural game. She's being asked to do at least 3 new things:
1. Play a much tighter and tougher man-to-man defense
2. Play offense at a much, much faster pace (she is lanky and it takes just a split second for her to get moving)
3. Play both the outside but also use her height inside (because it's motion offense)

Will she get all 3 perfectly right? probably not, because as physically gifted as she is, in some ways those very gifts produce their own limitations. Will she get better, maybe a lot better at all this? Absolutely. She's only played parts of 4 games.
Obviously, Z needs to stick around for next season for fully "get it." I view her as Tina in her sophomore year or

Reaction Score
Any one else notice how "in to the game" Lou was even though she was not in the game??? She could be seen "jumping" out of her seat, screaming, cheering on her team mates with every made basket, every steal, block, etc... That's being a team mate. Hopefully she didn't aggravate the foot injury. :cool::cool:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
4th qtr we were very tired and running on fumes. Balls bouncing off the front of the rim and the banging underneath and no fouls called on UCLA. Im glad we're out of there. We shot over 50% from the floor, out rebounded UCLA and won. Let me say this. We are not jellin yet like we will in a few more weeks. MW and Z are learning the UConn process and everybody else is a rushing a little at times. When the chemistry comes together its really going to be off the charts good. This is a great great team that is getting better fast.
I agree about the team being very tired. How many times has Nurse missed four free throws in one game. The intense defense they play and the intense practices they have sometimes seems to tire them out.

Reaction Score
Any one else notice how "in to the game" Lou was even though she was not in the game??? She could be seen "jumping" out of her seat, screaming, cheering on her team mates with every made basket, every steal, block, etc... That's being a team mate. Hopefully she didn't aggravate the foot injury. :cool::cool:
If players on the bench aren't "in to the game" they won't last long in this program. It's one of the things Geno harps on.

Reaction Score
If players on the bench aren't "in to the game" they won't last long in this program. It's one of the things Geno harps on.
Ok, thanks for that..
My point was Lou seemed to be the MOST in to it of those on the bench... and with a foot injury where she might have had a good reason to be a little less animated.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Yes, understandably, Nurse seemed a bit winded near the end of the game which probably contributed to her missed free throws.

"When you're tired, shoot a little bit higher and a little bit harder." --Claire Bee. I'm pretty sure Chip Hilton knew that.

Reaction Score
Yes, understandably, Nurse seemed a bit winded near the end of the game which probably contributed to her missed free throws.

"When you're tired, shoot a little bit higher and a little bit harder." --Claire Bee. I'm pretty sure Chip Hilton knew that.
Yeah that was unusual for her. Best FT shooter on the team, and she started out OK, but then missed 3 of her last 4 I think. I like the strategy of having her drive like that - seems to get her to the free throw line a lot which is something Geno has tried to get other great players to do - draw fouls.

LADan

Have seen UConn beat Zags twice to get to Final 4
Reaction Score
Some lunchtime rambling observations after getting to watch the Huskies play live for the first time since they last visited Pauley Pavilion (Shea Ralph may have been playing not coaching in that game).

The game appeared very sloppy in person but UConn took way better advantage on all the loose balls and rebounds. UCLA had hustle going for them but they didn't get many of the 50-50s.

Crystal Dangerfield played with way more confidence than what I saw on TV last season. On set plays on defense, she moved teammates to where they needed to be and she was mentally into every second of the game. When her shot is falling, I don't think there is anyone better on the court. Seeing her in person, I was very impressed how physically strong she looks.

Napheesa Collier was awesome and her defense is something that I think she should get more credit. Whenever UConn needed a big bucket, Collier seemed to deliver.

If I ever meet Megan Walker later in real life, I can mention I was at this game and I bet she will remember it. When she first came in, I thought she looked a tad lost and was basically getting the ball to her teammates on offense. Then, when she started dropping those 3s, the game was over.

I have been looking forward to Azura 's game since she transferred. She is still figuring out the flow of things and doesn't look comfortable. But she definitely has talent and she has a presence you can't ignore when she is on the floor so I expect big things as the season progresses.

Kia Nurse may be one of my favorite all-time Huskies. She never came off the floor and she hustles every minute. I think she hit the wall sometime during the fourth quarter but the game was in the bag by then so no big deal there. Which reminds me, besides Kobe Bryant, Donovan McNabb was also at the game last night.

Lastly, when I took my kids to see the Huskies play at Pauley back in the late 90s, the place was dead. Last night it had a big game atmosphere with a ton of youth basketball teams filling out the stands. If last night was the third biggest crowd at Pauley for a UCLA women's game, I would be interested in knowing what other games have brought out even more folks. Maybe an NCAA tournament game.

Go Huskies!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
"I know we're not going to score as many points without Lou," Auriemma said. "But if you play on a team, you need guys to step up. And Megan did so today.

"Today we found another player that can help us. Toughest game in the toughest environment, and she played her best game. We came out of here with Pheesa getting better and Megan earning some trust from her teammates and coaching staff. Those are huge -- maybe more important than the win tonight."

Everything falls into place for UConn at historic Pauley Pavilion

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Lastly, when I took my kids to see the Huskies play at Pauley back in the late 90s, the place was dead. Last night it had a big game atmosphere with a ton of youth basketball teams filling out the stands. If last night was the third biggest crowd at Pauley for a UCLA women's game, I would be interested in knowing what other games have brought out even more folks. Maybe an NCAA tournament game.
I read in one of the stories that it was the largest crowd for a WCBB since I think 1979. Maybe the old USC teams visiting?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I read in one of the stories that it was the largest crowd for a WCBB since I think 1979. Maybe the old USC teams visiting?
From UCLA's media guide:
upload_2017-11-23_2-22-7.png

The 1978 game vs. Maryland was the AIAW championship game. UCLA was led that year by the legendary Ann Meyers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom