UCLA Game Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UCLA Game Thread

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Announcers UConn will learn from this game as well. If they play another team with the guards that UCLA has, they'll handle the ball batter. Most likely will also have KLS in the lineup. Not a pretty game for UConn, but still a dominating win.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
This is a mighty, mighty win. Without an All-American and with jet lag against a hostile crowd, they did what they needed. That's the big story. Forget about lapses, rejoice in the overall effort. They are awesome!

Indeed. Excellent game.

Reaction Score
Finally 78-60, thanks to everyone's cheer for this win ...

Screenshot (9).png

Reaction Score
Positives:
- Collier looks to be back
- Megan Walker was outstanding, and shot extremely well (this had been a concern)
- Defense through the first 3 quarters was great

Negatives:
- Stevens seems to gum up the works, no idea what her role is
- Inconsistency in the 2nd and 4th quarters (last 5 minutes were among the ugliest stretch of basketball I've seen from a UConn team in a while)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
How terrible . Outplayed for a stretch by the number 5 team in the country.

Not sure UCLA is actually the 5th best team in the nation. Either way, UConn looked like the fresher team for much of the second half then got outscored by 11 over the final 12 minutes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Should feel great but I got to admit, the sloppyness of the last quarter put a bit of a damper but if we really assess things, 2 possible question marks were really answered.

1) Megan can be trusted for scoring and defense. Going to fight Z for minutes.
2) Pheesa does not seem to have some hidden injury

Also, Crystal is as good as any guard in the country within our scheme.

Reaction Score
I really like Geno's no mercy to UCLA ...

In hindsight, perhaps it was "no mercy" to his own starters. I think Geno sometimes thinks along the lines of, "Well, if the starters continue to expand the lead some in the 4th, I'll take them out." And then, "They're actually losing ground? Well, I guess they can stay in." And then, "Well fine, if that's how it's gonna be - they ain't coming out." :p

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Canada ended up with 15 points, but most of them late in the 4th quarter when the game was already decided. Surprised the ESPN Box Score only shows her with 4 assists, thought she had more. UCLA would be a better team if Canada looked for her shots earlier in the game.

Reaction Score
Interesting is that when UConn pulled away, Z was on the bench.
I think she just gets in the way of the offense right now. Like I said, when she's out there her, Collier, and Gabby are just trying to avoid running into each other and there's no real purpose to the offense. This is the third year of the core four playing together and they mesh well together at this point.

Reaction Score
Not to interrupt the same 3 posters who wallow in a pity party if we don't look like a well oiled machine for 40 minutes, but do you think the lag at the end may have to do with playing 6 players, flying across the country 48 hours earlier, missing a top scorer, and playing a top 10 team?

No of course not. Carry on.

Reaction Score
Not to interrupt the same 3 posters who wallow in a pity party if we don't look like a well oiled machine for 40 minutes, but do you think the lag at the end may have to do with playing 6 players, flying across the country 48 hours earlier, missing a top scorer, and playing a top 10 team?

No of course not. Carry on.
Don't forget 3rd game against top 25 competition in 5 days with upcoming games on Saturday afternoon and then Tuesday to close out this road trip.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
With Z out, our spacing was so , so , SO much better tonight. Driving lanes everywhere, and all 5 were cutting from a high offense.

A thing of beauty, truly, against a very athletic and quick UCLA squad to be able to do that to them with small ball.

Z had her moments but small ball won out against this opponent on this night. Way to go guys!

Great win - lots to build on, some things to work on as well. Couldn't ask for more at this point in the season , without Lou especially.

Kudos to the team.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wonder what Geno's mood will be in the Post Game Conference? It can go either way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom