UCLA at SCAR | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCLA at SCAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The Tennessee-Stanford game is scintillating by contrast. Stanford actually knows something about running offense.

Reaction Score
Canada fouls out and then gets T'd up for arguing with the ref, leading to an SC free throw fest. Coates looked really good in 2nd half - UCLA had no one to match up. 66-57 SC final.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Canada fouls out and then gets T'd up for arguing with the ref, leading to an SC free throw fest. Coates looked really good in 2nd half - UCLA had no one to match up. 66-57 SC final.

Coates was definitely player of the game. SC's inside game and offensive rebounding were by far the difference, combined with UCLA's foul trouble. Also gotta give credit to SC's defense, which really was focused on stopping Canada's dribble penetration, and no one else could step up to make shots. Four of 27 from three ain't gonna get it done.

But: honorable mention to Monique Billings, who finished with 12 points, 22 huge rebounds, and 4 blocks.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
11-6 UCLA after one. That might have been the ugliest quarter I've ever seen in my life.

Probably true for quarters but don't forget that a certain team (which shall remain nameless) trailed 20-12 at halftime once upon a time in a fairly important game ....!!

It was downright fugly!!

:)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Probably true for quarters but don't forget that a certain team (which shall remain nameless) trailed 20-12 at halftime once upon a time in a fairly important game ....!!

It was downright fugly!!

:)
Yes, I thought of that shortly after I posted. It's better that I just not think about that one!!

Reaction Score
A ugly game, but Billings played well, and Coates finally played hard for the majority of the game, even if it was only for ~30 mins of playing time. UCLA just couldn't hit from outside; 4-27 from three. Great game by H-H, too.

I wonder how the game would have played out if that TERRIBLE call against Canada for her fourth foul had been reversed, as it should have been?

What I got out of this is that SC has a problem at the PG spot. Cuevas is good, but she's too inconsistent, a defensive liability 1:1, and doesn't run the offense; she just dribbles the ball the most. They are just NOT a complete offensive team, so I see them losing another couple of games during the season and possibly getting tripped up before the FF.

They have some work to do. 33% from the field isn't likely good enough to win a Championship.

Reaction Score
As ugly of a game this was, it set women's basketball back 20 years.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
SCAR doesn't seem all that quick team-wise. A quick team that can run might give them trouble. Do we know of any such animal?

Reaction Score
Coates was definitely player of the game. SC's inside game and offensive rebounding were by far the difference, combined with UCLA's foul trouble. Also gotta give credit to SC's defense, which really was focused on stopping Canada's dribble penetration, and no one else could step up to make shots. Four of 27 from three ain't gonna get it done.

But: honorable mention to Monique Billings, who finished with 12 points, 22 huge rebounds, and 4 blocks.
The SEC officials do their conference no favors, in the one-sided way they call fouls in home games, against other conference opponents. That causes their teams to have to adjust when they get to the NCAA tournament, and is part of South Carolina's problem in the past 2 years.

Reaction Score
um...so what is "good"?
Have you watched her play? She is fast, disruptive, tenacious, and a good ball handler. She can start for just about any team in D1 ball. Not running the offense is a coaching issue, which I simply don't understand, giving Coach Staley's ability at that position.

What she ISN'T is disciplined, which is what you need from your PG. So "good" is appropriate for her, IMO.

Reaction Score
Have you watched her play? She is fast, disruptive, tenacious, and a good ball handler. She can start for just about any team in D1 ball. Not running the offense is a coaching issue, which I simply don't understand, giving Coach Staley's ability at that position.

What she ISN'T is disciplined, which is what you need from your PG. So "good" is appropriate for her, IMO.

I would not call her good. She has barely improved in three years.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Coates and Wilson get away with catching the ball near the basket, lowering a shoulder and displacing the defensive player guarding them (which is a CHARGE), and they get away with it at home. The defense is entitled to her established spot on the floor but poor officials seem to ignore that. Also, any inside player who won't let Coates do what she wants to do totally frustrates her. It makes me wonder about how well she will do in the WNBA. She dominates shorter players.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I watched the second half. UCLA no defense. To many times Coates one on one down low and ate up UCLA. UCLA gotta learn to box out and double down. Neither team impressed me today.

Reaction Score

That description tells me she's mediocre at best.

Reaction Score
It's December people I'm not impressed either but march is three months away plenty of time to improve. Remember everyone on this team is new to each other. Unlike UCONN, ND, and Baylor who has been playing with each other for a year, SC is intergrating basically an entire new backcourt. Cuevas game isn't suited for a team that slows the game down and pass, I guarantee you she would thrive with a team like Syracuse because she likes to get up and down and push tempo every single time. Defensively she is very good, forced Canada into a lot of TO and she had a couple steals, TO are still a big problem but that's why we will need Ty Harris to grow up fast by tournament time because she will provide adequate pg play for us. Still a ways to go but no one in the country is perfect this year if you ask me....

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Bianca did help to get Jordin Canada fouled out and she was only 6 of 20 from the floor.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Even with all the talent they have, SC and the other top tier SEC teams seem to have trouble scoring at least 70 points against the better teams in the country. Many of their scores are in the 60's, even against each other.

Reaction Score
Even with all the talent they have, SC and the other top tier SEC teams seem to have trouble scoring at least 70 points against the better teams in the country. Many of their scores are in the 60's, even against each other.

Prior to this game we scored over 80 points over three top 10 teams and came in averaging 85 ppg. Just a bad game overall but don't let the offensive slugfest fool you SC is better offensively then last year.

Reaction Score
If Bianca hasnt improved in 3 years and the offense looks still looks terrible it falls on the Head Coach. Dawn is still learning how to coach at this level. She has better talent than most and that is why she wins.

Reaction Score
That was the ugliest 1st quarter I've ever seen from two top 10 teams. Talent wise South Carolina is still top 2 IMHO. But Davis can't be taking that many shots and missing just about all of them. This is what she did at Georgia Tech. I like Gray though.

Reaction Score
My comments on the game. I missed most of the 1st half, apparently a fortunate happening.

First, what is going on with those UCLA shorts?? Could it have been what Wilson was ruminating during the game, given her penchant for tailored shorts herself? I think that was why I didn't notice if she was actually playing.

I can't help but comparing Coates to Godzilla. No, her breath wasn't bad, she was just slow and plodding, swatting aside anything Blue & Gold, on her way to the basket for a layup.

And Jordin Canada, and her OCD like compulsion to take every possible shot from as close to the basket as possible. If not possible, shoot from anywhere else, or, the 3rd and last option, passing.

One thing good about UCLA is the weather out there.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
It's December people I'm not impressed either but march is three months away plenty of time to improve. Remember everyone on this team is new to each other. Unlike UCONN, ND, and Baylor who has been playing with each other for a year, SC is intergrating basically an entire new backcourt. Cuevas game isn't suited for a team that slows the game down and pass, I guarantee you she would thrive with a team like Syracuse because she likes to get up and down and push tempo every single time. Defensively she is very good, forced Canada into a lot of TO and she had a couple steals, TO are still a big problem but that's why we will need Ty Harris to grow up fast by tournament time because she will provide adequate pg play for us. Still a ways to go but no one in the country is perfect this year if you ask me....

Cueves has improved. She's still a firecracker, but no where near as eratic as she was as a freshman. Most knew she would be difficult to coach, but many thought and still do believe, Staley is the one coach who can tame her. She's playing with 2 new guards to the rotation. It takes time to develop that chemistry. I still say their team is the best built team for winning the title. Rough patches should be expected for a team in December, but even playing poorly, they beat a top 10 opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom