UCF Pre-Game Press | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCF Pre-Game Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
They do need a bit of snarl or “grit” as I like to call it. Crystal showed some spur of the moment snarl during the Temple game that I and several others endorsed, while others found it out of character and distasteful.

I do remember Geno saying on several occasions that this team is too nice. Perhaps a happy medium can be found somewhere in the middle.
damned if they do, damned if they don't

Reaction Score
True.

Even more true. The worst thing to do though is if you don't have "dawg" in you is to try and fake it. I don't think this team has it, nor do I think they need it to be successful.
Oh yes, you've got that right. No phonies. I can tell that you know what I mean. It's just an attitude I feel you need when you come on the court that lets the other team know we ain't here to dick around. Then you back it up. Just give me a Jamelle Elliot type in every other recruiting class so I've always got at least a couple around.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Oh yes, you've got that right. No phonies. I can tell that you know what I mean. It's just an attitude I feel you need when you come on the court that lets the other team know we ain't here to dick around. Then you back it up. Just give me a Jamelle Elliot type in every other recruiting class so I've always got at least a couple around.
but when other teams do it, its a problem tho... the name calling starts

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CWilliams still has her confidence
Yea and Crystal definitely has "dawg" in her if provoked. The trouble is the leaders of this team are the two AA seniors- & rightfully so.

Reaction Score
do any other coaches throw their players under the bus publicly like Geno does......great for the press....great for recruiting......for Notre Dame that is....
geno did not just change . remember, he is the ultimate motivator

Reaction Score
do any other coaches throw their players under the bus publicly like Geno does......great for the press....great for recruiting......for Notre Dame that is....

Evidence would suggest Holly does, for one and I'm pretty sure JPM surely does. Two off the top of my head.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I have to say that when I hear Geno criticizing players on his team for their lack of toughness, inconsistency or lack of skills perhaps it should be remembered that he was the one who recruited them.....it's as if he's constantly surprised by the team he hand picked.......it's like they are strangers who just showed up at the gym one day
I do not like some of the criticism from Geno in such a public forum. But as to his recruiting them, yes he did but that does not mean he knows everything about them. Time spent with any recruit is limited by NCAA rules, and he certainly should expect them to grow and improve. Transition to college is hard for any kid, and even more so for student athletes. I am not certain that calling a player out is the best way to improve them. With many it works, others maybe not. But I am guessing he is sending a message to every player when he speaks about an individual. His tactics can be questioned, but his success as a coach over many years with many different kids gives me pause. I could not have done what he has done. And I do not feel qualified to second guess him. When he has three losing seasons in a row, I'll give him a call. :)

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Snarl? Did someone say, "Snarl"?

AR-180419868.jpg&Maxw=960&q=75

Reaction Score
I do not like some of the criticism from Geno in such a public forum. But as to his recruiting them, yes he did but that does not mean he knows everything about them. Time spent with any recruit is limited by NCAA rules, and he certainly should expect them to grow and improve. Transition to college is hard for any kid, and even more so for student athletes. I am not certain that calling a player out is the best way to improve them. With many it works, others maybe not. But I am guessing he is sending a message to every player when he speaks about an individual. His tactics can be questioned, but his success as a coach over many years with many different kids gives me pause. I could not have done what he has done. And I do not feel qualified to second guess him. When he has three losing seasons in a row, I'll give him a call. :)

it seems rather interesting that a program that takes such pride and effort in only recruiting the best of the best for their specific system ends up with so many players with obvious limitations as pointed out by the person who picked them...........

Reaction Score
Reporter's are supposed to ask questions on the mind of fans. Since the BY has devoted lots of energy and a relatively busy thread on Mikayla, it is on the minds of many and the question should be asked. Geno was also asked about Batouly being used in a game where physicality is critical and while his answer was not as dismissive, he got his point across. " I would love to use Batouly if we figure out how to stop her from fouling every other play".
Touly, CW, ONO are tryin very hard to play defense--not familiar territory for them--so, like all other Frosh before them--they foul.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
it seems rather interesting that a program that takes such pride and effort in only recruiting the best of the best for their specific system ends up with so many players with obvious limitations as pointed out by the person who picked them......
Yes, it is almost like they never won a championship at all! Oh but wait, they have won 11 and have produced some great pro players, and Olympians. Like I said, I could not have done what he has done. So I will continue to reserve my criticism. Obviously, you have a different approach. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yes, it is almost like they never won a championship at all! Oh but wait, they have won 11 and have produced some great pro players, and Olympians. Like I said, I could not have done what he has done. So I will continue to reserve my criticism. Obviously, you have a different approach. :rolleyes:

love the sinner hate the sin................

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
it seems rather interesting that a program that takes such pride and effort in only recruiting the best of the best for their specific system ends up with so many players with obvious limitations as pointed out by the person who picked them......
Yeah. No wonder Geno's coaching career has been such a failure.

Reaction Score

not my judgement............according to the coach some of his current players just aren't cutting it................what does that have to do with 11 past championships?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When, when, when...does it ever help to motivate someone by criticizing them in public?
For the entire time UCONN has been coached by Geno. 1985 to be more specific.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It seems rather interesting that you think UCONN is the only place where some recruited players don't meet expectations.

Reaction Score
It seems rather interesting that you think UCONN is the only place where some recruited players don't meet expectations.

nope it's one of the only places where the coach seems to derive great pleasure describing the deficiencies of his players to the press..............I have no problem with the critiques but believe it should be kept in house.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
nope it's one of the only places where the coach seems to derive great pleasure describing the deficiencies of his players to the press....I have no problem with the critiques but believe it should be kept in house....
There are 300+ other programs out there that would be delight with your patronage!
Start with your State University- I hear they are on the come-up!

Reaction Score
No anger. Just making a point.

listen, all I hear about is a UConn recruiting strategy that regularly eliminates the vast majority of the top one hundred players in the country yet the coach acts as if he is surprised by the inherent faults of players he spent months selecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom