UCF postgame | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UCF postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If they call a technical on a fan, who takes the foul shots?
Just like a technical is called on the bench the opposing team picks who they want to take the shots. Unless they changed the rules that player must be in the game at the time of the technical foul.

Reaction Score
Just like a technical is called on the bench the opposing team picks who they want to take the shots. Unless they changed the rules that player must be in the game at the time of the technical foul.
I meant how do you determine which team gets the benefit of the foul shots? Do they look at the fan and say OK this guy is wearing a UConn shirt, so the foul shots will be taken by UCF?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I meant how do you determine which team gets the benefit of the foul shots? Do they look at the fan and say OK this guy is wearing a UConn shirt, so the foul shots will be taken by UCF?
99.9% of the time it is the home team, but in a tournament it is a little different. Usually the fans are warned in the first incident by the announcer any fan misconduct the person will be ejected from the arena. If the officials can identify what team that the person is associated with they may issue a technical, but in most cases they just remove the fan from the arena.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I don't see anything wrong with the UCF bench being overly exuberant. They believe they cemented an NCAA invite with their semifinal win, so they were in the mood to celebrate. When I've coached I'd rather have my bench players engaged and involved in the games than sitting on their hands being emotionless. These UCF players haven't been to the big dance. They deserve to enjoy the accomplishment.
Maybe they thought that they had every right to celebrate...it was the 3rd time when they were playing UConn that the Margin Of Victory was less than 30 points instead of the more common 40+ AAC MOV. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
My wife and I were at the game.. In the third quarter we were distracted by the excessive dancing and laughing of the UCF bench. I watched in disbelief that a team down by 23 were acting like that, like the were pulling out a 3 point win... Whenever I looked Coach Abe had her back to her team as she was coaching, I thought maybe she did not know what was going on behind her. I said to my wife the players were acting like coach abe had Promised to buy them ice cream if they hit 40 points......

I began to get upset when I saw them strongly mock Meagan when she was called for a travel near their bench... They laughed and pointed and a couple of them rolled their arms with the travel signal and pointed at Meagan. The tall women with a gold-ish shirt was really into it with the 3 bench players who still had their warm-ups on. The woman could have been an assistant coach or grad assistant, she always had a clipboard in her hands. I was surprised this would happen with Sales on the bench. I thought she would know this was not a correct way to act.

When the game ended we could not find geno... he had rushed through the line before we could see him... CD was with the team and It seemed she stopped to give coach abe a piece of her mind... It looked like last year when Jeff Waltz stopped Muffet to teach her Durr's name. Coach Abe seemed to be very surprised by what CD said to her....

We were sitting a few rows behind and between the two benches and I was very close to going down and telling Coach Abe her team had embarrassed itself. My wife would have killed me if I did. I almost said the same to a few UCF fans/parents that were walking out as we watched the ceremonies . I did not do that either, not wanting to get into a needless altercation at 67....

The game was rough, UCF plays... Phee and Olivia were pounded most of the game. When Crystal was pounded on the block we expect a flagrant 1, and were surprised we only got the ball out of bounds (when we got home we quickly went to that play on our DVR and clearly the UCF player had all ball with her hand which surprised us by how crystal's body had started to flip... then we saw the upper arm of the girl drag across crystal's head flipping her down... a sure foul call that did not happen). Then later in the game we checked the DVR to see what happened when crystal dove for the ball and a UCF girl jumped on top of her, only to have the ref call the foul on crystal.. and of course Irwin being roughed up. At least she got to shoot a couple of FT...

The refs were poor, beginning from the start when Meagan was hit in the face and had to play with cotton stuffed up her nose(again no call).

We checked the end of the game on our DVR as to what happened to Geno and I never saw him bolt so fast to the other team, without his team behind him.. on TV you could see him muttering at Coach Abe, but he did not slow down for any response from her. TV did show CD's talk...

Anyway it was the MOCKING that bothered us. Not the cheering for their teammates, though the dancing was a bit much. I hope they enjoyed their ice-cream

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do not know how they do it but the team did not react to any of this crap, I am so PROUD of them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I do not know how they do it but the team did not react to any of this crap, I am so PROUD of them.
Well they are pretty well trained, and it helps when you're winning/winners.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I said to my wife the players were acting like coach abe had Promised to buy them ice cream if they hit 40 points.

I hope they enjoyed their ice-cream
No sprinkles for them though. :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know it's been mentioned a few times, but UCF's bench behavior was a total embarrassment to the school and the team. It was disturbing to me that Lobo said she liked it. I just don't get that. It wasn't so much the cheering and jumping around in support of UCF's positive plays, although you'd think that would be tempered by the 20 point deficit. It was the outlandish mugging and mocking UConn turnovers, etc. If I'm the UCF AD, I have a conversation with the coach about that. I thought that behavior was more egregious than the hard trap on Kyla. I think Geno overreacted a bit to that.
My apologies for not reading your response more carefully. It actually took me another three pages and a post from @meyers7 and @MSGRET to point out the "mocking" by the UCF bench players.
Like you I was disappointed in "50" for condoning that type of behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom