UCF is going First | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCF is going First

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Hey, looks like Marinatto is being diplomatic about his conference acquiring teams. What a concept.

Reaction Score
Hey, looks like Marinatto is being diplomatic about his conference acquiring teams. What a concept.

It is the classy thing to do. Let's CUSA know that they need to start looking for replacements ASAP. I don't know if it would be practical when you are talking about BCS leagues consuming each other though. We might as well designate CUSA as the official minor league of the Big East.

Reaction Score
It is the classy thing to do. Let's CUSA know that they need to start looking for replacements ASAP. I don't know if it would be practical when you are talking about BCS leagues consuming each other though. We might as well designate CUSA as the official minor league of the Big East.
And the Big East the official minor league of the ACC, sadly.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
well I guess if we've learned one thing from expansion, its that everyone who said, "we don't need to take UCF until we absolutly need them, because they'll still be there" was right.

Gotta disagree. The premise wasn't to take UCF so that no one else could scoop them up. The premise was to get them in to the fold early to legitimize their position as a BCS caliber team and program.

No one was suggesting that if we didn't grab UCF that the ACC or SEC would. It was to get them in to the league so when expansion occurred they were already viewed as legit.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I feel like we're talking baseball organizational structures.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Locking down the I-4 corridor is huge for the league.

Tampa-Orlando is nearly a seamless MSA and while the schools don't have the tradition and history of FSU or UF, they are pumping out grads like Octomom shoots out infants.

All the benefits are known- massive recruiting grounds, guaranteed 1 game a year for all teams in central Florida, another huge media market and two groups of alumni who despise each other.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
He looks like he's been working hard. He needs a shave and about 10 hours of sleep.

Reaction Score
Locking down the I-4 corridor is huge for the league.

Tampa-Orlando is nearly a seamless MSA and while the schools don't have the tradition and history of FSU or UF, they are pumping out grads like Octomom shoots out infants.

All the benefits are known- massive recruiting grounds, guaranteed 1 game a year for all teams in central Florida, another huge media market and two groups of alumni who despise each other.
No it's not. It just proves were C-USA 2.0.

Reaction Score
Gotta disagree. The premise wasn't to take UCF so that no one else could scoop them up. The premise was to get them in to the fold early to legitimize their position as a BCS caliber team and program.

No one was suggesting that if we didn't grab UCF that the ACC or SEC would. It was to get them in to the league so when expansion occurred they were already viewed as legit.

How they are "viewed" doesn't matter. Perception is irrelevant in this regard. No matter how well the Big East did in the computer rankings (and we had a year where we were only behind the SEC), we were always viewed as the weakest BCS conference. Even when the results proved otherwise.

UCF joining two years ago wouldn't have changed much if anything. What matters is computer rankings. They were more likely to get higher rankings playing in a weaker conference and getting more wins.

They finished in the top 25 last year, which will help the big east. They may or may not have done that well with a full BCS conference schedule. But they went 1-2 against BCS teams last year, losing to NC State, K. State, and beating Georgia. It's hard to imagine those results would translate to an 11-3 record and top 25 finish if you substitue UAB, Buffalo, Marshall, Rice, Tulane et al for UConn, Pitt, WVU, USF, Louisville etc.

Reaction Score
Only if you are looking in the past. Both UCF and USF will be light years ahead of Pitt or SU in a decade football-wise.

I agree. I honestly don't see SU really getting good again any time soon. Pitt maybe, but I think they will continue to underachieve.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Only if you are looking in the past. Both UCF and USF will be light years ahead of Pitt or SU in a decade football-wise.

I can see that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree. I honestly don't see SU really getting good again any time soon. Pitt maybe, but I think they will continue to underachieve.

Agreed. Pitt should be solid in the nACC, Syracuse will struggle no matter where they are.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Add SMU and Houston to this equation and the strategy behind a rebuilt Big East may have some teeth.

Two members on the state of Florida and two members on the state of Texas could become a formidable lineup in just a few years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Add SMU and Houston to this equation and the strategy behind a rebuilt Big East may have some teeth.

Two members on the state of Florida and two members on the state of Texas could become a formidable lineup in just a few years.

I agree (Not that what is happening is anything near what I would prefer).

However, the center of college football and the viewing populations and media markets are moving south and west.

For the majority of Husky fans in the northeast, this expansion stuff sucks. But for TV viewing and TV markets Orlando, Houston, Texas all beat SU or Pitt.

DFW- 5
Houston-10
Orlando-19
Pitt- 23
Hartford- 30
SU- 81

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

Plus, a guaranteed game every year in both Florida and Texas doesn't hurt. It's not like a ton of fans make it to any road game besides Syracuse or Rutgers. Since 2008 I've been to road games at UNC, USF, Louisville and Vandy and USF is the only game where we brought more than 1,000.

Reaction Score
UCF
Houston
SMU
Air Force
Navy
BYU or Boise (if neither of those 2, Temple)

Reaction Score
Plus, a guaranteed game every year in both Florida and Texas doesn't hurt.

Knowing the BE they will screw up the scheduling and have us play 2 games in Florida in the same year and none on alternate years. Just like we play WVU and Pitt away this year and SU and RU home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom