UCF Fiesta Bowl Tickets Sales | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCF Fiesta Bowl Tickets Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Road Dog said:
UCF is a commuter schools with "students" too poor and too stupid to get into a real school.

That's harsh. "A" students with average to above average SAT scores are getting rejected from UCF this year.

Reaction Score
Ohio to Florida is driveable as CT to FL would have been if we hadn't been sent to Arizona. I'd like to see what Ohio St would have sold if they got sent to Arizona. When the big boys start to struggle it shows how the business model needs to be re worked. Some consideration of distance should be part of the process.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Bit more global w/ the usual UConn tap to the nads (i think we'll have plenty of company in that bucket soon enough): http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...eason-of-giving-unsold-tickets-back-to-bowls/

i think its interesting how they write "UCF returned 10,000 tickets" while they write in the next sentence "Ohio State sold 7000 of its 17500 allotment". The two statements give off totally different vibes as saying how many tickets a university sold is completely different than talking about how many it didn't sell.

Reaction Score
Florida being a bowl state it's tough to get reasonably priced pkane fix. When uconn was in fiesta I shopped hard and the best I could find was 750 a person. I assume that is the biggest hindrance. What were the ct to Arizona plane fix Priced ?

Reaction Score
Price gouging. Hotels. Bars. Restaurants. Stadium Tickets. Trains (In the distant past - Butch style). Airfare currently.

College football post season is a big, big business. College football is a dirty business. Dirty. All you got is your reputation.

I can't wait for the next bowl game that we make. UCONN fans gonna find a way to represent. We learned from the Fiesta. Big time.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Price gouging. Hotels. Bars. Restaurants. Stadium Tickets. Trains (In the distant past - Butch style). Airfare currently.

College football post season is a big, big business. College football is a dirty business. Dirty. All you got is your reputation.

I can't wait for the next bowl game that we make. UCONN fans gonna find a way to represent. We learned from the Fiesta. Big time.

Our fans need to represent, but we will really need to work through the marketing department and foundation arm to do better…

For the Fiesta bowl, UConn ended up buying many tickets. If they had decided up front that they wanted butts in seats, they could have subsidized the seats, taken a loss there to try and get fans to purchase. Also, they could have subsidized 'giveaway' seats that were given to charities and the military. That would have softened the financial losses and upped the sold ticket count.

I bought my seats through the school because I knew the deal and really wanted to sit in the middle of UConn folks. The travel and the rest? I shopped, skimped and found ways to get there, and had plenty of fun without the huge vig paid to the travel agency.

Reaction Score
i think its interesting how they write "UCF returned 10,000 tickets" while they write in the next sentence "Ohio State sold 7000 of its 17500 allotment". The two statements give off totally different vibes as saying how many tickets a university sold is completely different than talking about how many it didn't sell.

Someone heard you ;)

UCF Owes Fiesta Bowl $3.4 Million For Unsold Tickets, But Still Sold More Than Ohio State For Orange Bowl
http://thebiglead.com/2013/12/23/uc...ll-sold-more-than-ohio-state-for-orange-bowl/

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's a tough year for the poor bowl organizers. The two major holidays fall on Wednesdays this year. It's tough for people to take meaningful time off, while minimizing vacation days.

Does anyone have the overnights for the Beef O'Brady's Bowl? It was played yesterday afternoon. I watched parts of the New Mexico Bowl on Saturday, just because it was on and I was home. Who the H3ll was the target audience for the game on a Monday Afternoon?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Someone somewhere has to be asking why schools still participate in this absurd system.

Plenty of people are asking. It's just not the right people, yet.

Until the people who have to write the checks, solicit fundraising funds and explain budgets to legislators nothing will happen.

Reaction Score
Someone somewhere has to be asking why schools still participate in this absurd system.

Plenty of people are asking. It's just not the right people, yet.

Until the people who have to write the checks, solicit fundraising funds and explain budgets to legislators nothing will happen.

University presidents have to take back control of the post season from the BCS/Delaney/Slive and the commissioners..not too mention ESPN which sponsors 7 of the bowls and has the huge TV contracts.
When the university presidents realize that the budgets of their schools would be helped, not squandered, and the state legislators stop funding the mess known as the bowl system..Nelson and Chin are right on
in their comments. The schools are losing approximately $880mm to $1BB of monies lining non charitable pockets. Very enlighteneing and good read for the facts: "Death to the BCS" by Dan Weitzel.

Reaction Score
Just heard a report that the only Bowl where the participants had sold out their alloments was the Rose and much of that was attributed to the fact that 1. it was the Rose Bowl, and 2. Michigan State was making its first trip in 25 years. Part of it is the dates. part he wackiness of the setups, Central Florida to Arizona? Really? Part of it is there are too many games...You want to spend how much to watch a 6-6 8th place finisher play a 7-5 9th place team? And some of it is about location. Its one thing ot go to Disneyland or the beaches of south Florida in Decmber or January, but Shreveport, Louisiana or Birmingham Alabama? Or the Bronx? Detroit? People don't go there by choice in good weather. They're going to do it on vacation?

Reaction Score
Just heard a report that the only Bowl where the participants had sold out their alloments was the Rose and much of that was attributed to the fact that 1. it was the Rose Bowl, and 2. Michigan State was making its first trip in 25 years. Part of it is the dates. part he wackiness of the setups, Central Florida to Arizona? Really? Part of it is there are too many games...You want to spend how much to watch a 6-6 8th place finisher play a 7-5 9th place team? And some of it is about location. Its one thing ot go to Disneyland or the beaches of south Florida in Decmber or January, but Shreveport, Louisiana or Birmingham Alabama? Or the Bronx? Detroit? People don't go there by choice in good weather. They're going to do it on vacation?

Both teams in the Pinstripe Bowl (in the Bronx) sold out their allotment of 10,500 tickets.

Reaction Score
Both teams in the Pinstripe Bowl (in the Bronx) sold out their allotment of 10,500 tickets.

Word is Rutgirls bought out the thousands of unsold tickets and gave them away. This is what they do with their home tickets to pretend they actually have fans in the stands.

Reaction Score
The racket continues w/ a new wrinkle (not that that statement is a revelation):

“@Schrotenboer: When bowl games sell tickets on Groupon, schools & leagues often pay the price
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/29/bowl-ticket-discounters/4242757/

>>To fill empty seats, the Holiday Bowl in San Diego tried a new strategy, offering $80 seats for $40 through an online discounter.

It's a good deal for fans, but not for the two college football teams in Monday's game: Texas Tech and Arizona State. Both schools and their respective conferences are required by contract to buy 10,400 full-price tickets at $70 to $90 each. If they can't find enough buyers, they're stuck with the full-price cost anyway.<<

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Clemson has cut ticket prices. Baylor gave back 5,000 tickets. Alabama sold out a game just two states over that features an opponent that is also only 2 states away.

Michigan State and Stanford sold out the Rose Bowl in the first appearance for Michigan State in over 25 years.

So the lesson is, if the game is more than 2 states away, you better be the Rose Bowl with a team that has not been in years or be the National Championship.

Does anyone question whether a game would sell out or need ticket subsidies if it was a first round playoff game played at the higher seeds home field?

Reaction Score
Clemson has cut ticket prices. Baylor gave back 5,000 tickets. Alabama sold out a game just two states over that features an opponent that is also only 2 states away.

Michigan State and Stanford sold out the Rose Bowl in the first appearance for Michigan State in over 25 years.

So the lesson is, if the game is more than 2 states away, you better be the Rose Bowl with a team that has not been in years or be the National Championship.

Does anyone question whether a game would sell out or need ticket subsidies if it was a first round playoff game played at the higher seeds home field?

Exactly! More regional bowl consideration along with an 8 team playoff first round home for the higher seed. Semi's and final at rotating Bowl venues. But I've been saying this for years. And now that we've extended the bowl season, playing 3 games in 5 weeks is doable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Word is Rutgirls bought out the thousands of unsold tickets and gave them away. This is what they do with their home tickets to pretend they actually have fans in the stands.

They didn't have any unsold tickets. I know several people that tried to buy tickets through Rutgers and were told there were none available because of excess demand. None of these people were Rutgers fans mind you and I'd be surprised if half Rutgers' tickets were sold to people rooting for Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I think in the end the playoff system will be expanded but the games won't be at neutral sites. it will be much more like the NFL with higher seeds hosting home games until the Final. the reality is that nobody is traveling to Miami one weekend and then on to Phoenix for another round. And the basketball model doesn't work because A. you only have 1 game per weekend, not potentially 2 games, and 2, you can't split the gate 4 or 8 ways. If you've been to NCAA 1st or 2nd round games, it isn't exactly a full house most of the time, even though the venue might "sell out." biggest crowds tend to be late in the 2nd half of the first game of the session when the crowd for Game 2 starts to arrive. The other problem I see is the SEC. First time Florida or Alabama loses a game on a freezing day with snow or sleet, there's going to be a push to move games to the warmer team's home. Unlike the NFL, where Miami and San Diego regularly play in places like Buffalo and New England late in the year, Florida State and LSU never ever play in Michigan or Minnesota or Connecticut in December. Imagine if UConn where hosting a home game against Florida on the weekend of the CIAC finals. And while that might be unlikely, they've had similar weather in Ohio and Michigan.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Road Dog said:

It's the first intelligent thing I've heard of RU AD ever doing.

Don't know why every school (conference) doesn't do this? They are paying for the tickets anyway. Fill the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom