U19 World Championship Gold Medal Game 2:30 USA vs Australia | Page 3 | The Boneyard

U19 World Championship Gold Medal Game 2:30 USA vs Australia

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A standing ovation to team USA....job well done!

1629059303564.png

Reaction Score
2-10 oof dissapointing for Fudd, many in the forum have said she not starter opening day and I think this just affirms she is not ready. Deberry idk what happened to her might be a year for her just to learn from the bench. My top 3 players of the tournament: Betts/Citron/Clark

Carnac

Reaction Score
Diamond Johnson showed up BIG for team USA off the bench today. lead the team with 15 points. Azzi didn't have to shoot. She was setting up her teammates who were getting it done. She was on the floor almost the entire 2nd half. Close did very little substituting in the second half. She had her BEST players on the floor for this game, especially in the second half. She wasn't trying to win friends, just a gold medal. ;)

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

ESPN has blocked both USA games that they carried. I haven't liked ESPN for about the last 5 years and the only time I watched them was when they were covering a UConn game or watched ESPN3 to see UConn. I liked it last year when FOX carried the SNY games as part of the Big East packet nationwide. The AAC games are mostly covered on ESPN+, with a few games on the network. I'm just tired of ESPN (Disney) trying to monopolize the sports like they will with the SEC.

Carnac

Reaction Score
ESPN has blocked both USA games that they carried. I haven't liked ESPN for about the last 5 years and the only time I watched them was when they were covering a UConn game or watched ESPN3 to see UConn. I liked it last year when FOX carried the SNY games as part of the Big East packet nationwide. The AAC games are mostly covered on ESPN+, with a few games on the network. I'm just tired of ESPN (Disney) trying to monopolize the sports like they will with the SEC.
I was NOT going to pay to see this game. I simply began to look around at all of the possible sites hoping to catch the game. I got lucky. I saw only the second half, But I saw it live!! I posted it as soon as I got it. I hope others could use it too.

Reaction Score
I was NOT going to pay to see this game. I simply began to look around at all of the possible sites hoping to catch the game. I got lucky. I saw only the second half, But I saw it live!! I posted it as soon as I got it. I hope others could use it too.
I also would NOT pay to watch, so..... I "read" the "Play by Play" on the basic
FIBA WBB U19 web page. One has to draw the line somewhere!
The MVP on this team.... was ... THE TEAM. == " D" - FENCE . No problem with Caitlin Clark winning the MVP = 9 points 8 assists 8 rebounds. But the final was also due to defense , two blocks for Betts, and Rebounds 14 rebounds by Betts. I counted 5 rebounds for BETTS in the FOURTH QUARTER and two assists
by Betts in the FOURTH QUARTER. A great way to contribute when you only have a 4 point scoring day.
According to the STAT sheet = Diamond Johnson had 15 points in
14 minutes and 40 seconds ( could that be correct??)
REMEMBER: U 18 WBB FIBA 3X3 starts on August 24th, where?
IN HUNGARY, of course. Go AYANNA!! Congrats to Hungary winning Bronze at home!

Reaction Score
Diamond Johnson showed up BIG for team USA off the bench today. lead the team with 15 points. Azzi didn't have to shoot. She was setting up her teammates who were getting it done. She was on the floor almost the entire 2nd half. Close did very little substituting in the second half. She had her BEST players on the floor for this game, especially in the second half. She wasn't trying to win friends, just a gold medal. ;)
Yes Azzi didn’t have to shoot, but she did in this game and honestly I expected her to make more. Offensively this tournament Azzi really didn’t impress me at all. I kind of expected more after all the hype. This is just my opinion and only my first time watching full games she played. I did like her defense though and thought she looked very strong in that area.
Congrats to Clark and Citron on their awards, well deserved.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I also would NOT pay to watch, so..... I "read" the "Play by Play" on the basic
FIBA WBB U19 web page. One has to draw the line somewhere!
The MVP on this team.... was ... THE TEAM. == " D" - FENCE . No problem with Caitlin Clark winning the MVP = 9 points 8 assists 8 rebounds. But the final was also due to defense , two blocks for Betts, and Rebounds 14 rebounds by Betts. I counted 5 rebounds for BETTS in the FOURTH QUARTER and two assists
by Betts in the FOURTH QUARTER. A great way to contribute when you only have a 4 point scoring day.
According to the STAT sheet = Diamond Johnson had 15 points in
14 minutes and 40 seconds ( could that be correct??)
REMEMBER: U 18 WBB FIBA 3X3 starts on August 24th, where?
IN HUNGARY, of course. Go AYANNA!! Congrats to Hungary winning Bronze at home!
Players can do lots of things to help their team win that don't necessarily show up in the box score. Sometimes just setting up your teammates, playing defense and not turning the ball over is all that is needed. :)

Looking forward to seeing Ayanna play. I'm putting this out here now........................I'm extremely biased where Ayanna is concerned!! :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes Azzi didn’t have to shoot, but she did in this game and honestly I expected her to make more. Offensively this tournament Azzi really didn’t impress me at all. I kind of expected more after all the hype. This is just my opinion and only my first time watching full games she played. I did like her defense though and thought she looked very strong in that area.
Congrats to Clark and Citron on their awards, well deserved.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with Azzi once she takes the floor with her UConn teammates. Sometimes it's difficult to shine amongst a team full of All-Stars. No doubt the role she played on THIS team will be different than the role Geno will have her play for him.

If she did what her coaches told her to do, she was a success. Bottom line: she played a lot of minutes, and they won the gold. She made a 3 point shot in the closing seconds of the game to put a "bow" on it. This was a good experience for Azzi and Amari. Personally, I'm happy team USA won the gold, hopefully no one got hurt, and everyone returns home safely. ;)

Did we ever find out what happened to Jewel Spear? :eek: She played in the first game (Italy), and was not seen after that.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

I'm watching the game through this portal for free, I hope you can too.

A note on watching the game today. I turned on my "VPN" switch, and the game was visible to me through this portal. I routed it through a European country. I've since turned it off, and a notice says the game is not available in your country. If I turn the VPN back on, I can see the game. Oh well, I tried.

U.S. women beat Australia to win Under-19 FIBA World Cup

Try this. I copied it from the YouTube site. This one works for everyone for free. Enjoy. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think you'll be disappointed with Azzi once she takes the floor with her UConn teammates. Sometimes it's difficult to shine amongst a team full of All-Stars. No doubt the role she played on THIS team will be different than the role Geno will have her play for him.

If she did what her coaches told her to do, she was a success. Bottom line: she played a lot of minutes, and they won the gold. She made a 3 point shot in the closing seconds of the game to put a "bow" on it. This was a good experience for Azzi and Amari. Personally, I'm happy team USA won the gold, hopefully no one got hurt, and everyone returns home safely. ;)

Did we ever find out what happened to Jewel Spear? :eek:She played in the first game (Italy), and was not seen after that.
Yes I have to agree. You can tell she’s a very high IQ player who listens to her coaches. I think she’ll do really well under Geno and in UConn’s system. Great experience for the two of them.

Reaction Score
A note on watching the game today. I turned on my "VPN" switch, and the game was visible to me through this portal. I routed it through a European country. I've since turned it off, and a notice says the game is not available in your country. If I turn the VPN back on, I can see the game. Oh well, I tried.
I have Norton antivirus and they have different VPNs to select including European countries. I will try if this is working I will not renew the new ESPN+ contract. Thanks for this information.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I have Norton antivirus and they have different VPNs to select including European countries. I will try if this is working I will not renew the new ESPN+ contract. Thanks for this information.
I posted a link just above to today's game from YouTube that works for everyone, and it's free.

Reaction Score
Not sure how Betts didn't make all tournament team.
Betts was the secret/unsecret factor in USA team winning, but, I cannot
disagree with C Clark and S Citron on the all tournament team.
I think there is a limit on how many players from one team
can be on the ALL TOURNAMENT TEAM??

Reaction Score
U 19 EFFICIENCY RATINGS per FIBA WEB SITE:
For ALL players # 3 Sonia Citron
# 5 Lauren Betts
# 8 Caitlin Clark
For ALL GUARDS # 1 Sonia Citron
# 3 Caitlin Clark
# 4 # 5 # 6 ( a tie): all from TEAM USA!
I think AZZI was one of the # 6 Guards.
NICE GOING to everyone!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Betts was the secret/unsecret factor in USA team winning, but, I cannot
disagree with C Clark and S Citron on the all tournament team.
I think there is a limit on how many players from one team
can be on the ALL TOURNAMENT TEAM??
Bit surprised Caitlin got MOP. I thought Citron /Betts were the best players overall but I guess there was so little seperation in the players overall. Congrats to all.

Reaction Score
2-10 oof dissapointing for Fudd, many in the forum have said she not starter opening day and I think this just affirms she is not ready. Deberry idk what happened to her might be a year for her just to learn from the bench. My top 3 players of the tournament: Betts/Citron/Clark
I agree with Betts/Citron/Clark in that order. Betts was MVP! Azzi was the 6th guard for the USA in this tourney behind Citron/Clark/PauPau/Verlquist and Johnson.
Delightful were the two folksy British announcers who did the play-by-play for the FIBA U19 World Cup games. A breath of fresh air.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I was in NYC buying a new suit for my son's upcoming wedding at 2:30 EDT, so I taped it on ESPN+. Just watched. Some thoughts:
  • It looked like both teams had played multiple games in too few days. Many drives and short-range jumpers were hitting the front of the rim. Tired legs. Fudd, Clark, Citron all missed shots they normally put down.
  • Johnson was pistol hot in the first half and PaoPao was consistent throughout.
  • Close played whom she wanted to win a championship with in the 2nd half: Citron and Fudd played nearly identical minutes and seconds--just under 32 -- to lead the team.
  • Verhulst had a good tourney as a substitute.
  • Ware played well today. She has soft hand (Volleyball background?).
  • Thought Betts was a major influence on the tournament. Perhaps pick an all-star five and have the MVP be in addition?

Congrats to U.S. and all concerned.

Reaction Score
Bit surprised Caitlin got MOP. I thought Citron /Betts were the best players overall but I guess there was so little seperation in the players overall. Congrats to all.
The first few games Betts was the best one and the last few games Citron was the better one. The overall I would choose Citron be the MVP.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Betts came off the bench today. Ware started. I didn’t realize Ware is 6’5”. She doesn’t look that tall on TV. She’s entering her sophomore year at Arizona. I like her, and will keep an eye on her and the rest of her wild cats teammates this season.

Stanford, UCLA, Oregon and Arizona should be the class of the PAC-12 this year. Stanford is the reigning national champion, but I don’t expect them to run “roughshod “ over the rest of the league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom