U19 Gold Medal Game - Russia vs USA - 4/30 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

U19 Gold Medal Game - Russia vs USA - 4/30

Reaction Score
I don't think that the elder USA women's game has anything to worry about. Vandersloot, McCoughtry , Parker, Griner, Delle Donne, J.Jones, C.Williams, Ogumike etc. This list goes on and on. Geno has left and DawnS has the reins. I am not worried at all.

This game was lost due to a few things coming together: Point blank misses, no adjustments (coaching), USA post play, Crystal going ice cold in the second half and the refs. You can't win if you are beating yourself. You definitely can't win beating yourself and adding shotty coaching along with questionable ref calls.

I hope that out of all of this 1) Crystal and Megan learn from this loss. You can't disappear in crucial moments. Find a way to win 2)The cream does rise to the top -C.Carter is a beast and definitely one to watch.

Reaction Score
That's a little deceiving to me. USA should have had better assist numbers but the post players missed point blank layups. Carter and Dangerfiedl should easily have 3-5 more assists each.

Russia had 25 assists on 33 made FG while the US only had 13 assists on 33 made FG. That's not deceiving at all, the team that played "team ball" won and rightfully so!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Russia had 25 assists on 33 made FG while the US only had 13 assists on 33 made FG. That's not deceiving at all, the team that played "team ball" won and rightfully so!

Not at all what I was saying. Numbers don't lie I agreed. What I was referring too was that USA missed so many layups the assist numbers should have been better!! They were sharing ball just couldn't hit shots.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The US team could have used a couple of substitutions in the fourth quarter. Some looked tired. There was some good talent sitting while their teammates were playing tired. I hope this experience will show Walker just how hard she will have to work to get meaningful playing time this season. The kind of talent that was playing ahead of her on the US team does not come close to the talent that will be playing ahead of her at Uconn. That game was just another example of how team play is superior to individual play. Thank goodness I get to watch Uconn women's basketball on a regular basis. There is nothing like it, imo.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
USA wins Silver Medal lose to Russia 86-82. It was easier for Russia to make baskets then it was for the USA.

Saw no adjustments to minimize the play of Musina and Vandeeza. USA didn't have a player to match up with either of these low post players.

You capsulized this game in a nutshell. These two players hurt the USA more than their other 3 teammates combined. I mentioned in a post yesterday that the USA could not allow these two to have a game similar to the one they had against Canada. WE didn't have any post players that could effectively stop or counter them. In an earlier post you said: "Russia's low post players are taking USA's low post player to school on both ends of the court". Game, set, match. It became painfully obvious that we were severely outmatched in the front court. They had no trouble hitting their 5-7 foot mid-range shots.

Each one of the players for the USA team will take this experience forward to their next FIBA tournament when ever and where ever that may be. They'll know exactly what it's going to take to beat other FIBA international teams teams, especially the Russians. Three cheers for our team, they fought down to the buzzer. They never quit. I'm proud of our girls. This was an experience they'll never forget. That said, I watched every game, and enjoyed them all.

Now we can turn our attention back to UConn, and their impending Italian road trip exhibitions. :)

Reaction Score
I've been saying it since last summer that Chennedy Carter was the #1 player in 2017 (not a slight towards walker). She has the full package and will certainly give A&M a boost next year.

I thought Harris should've definitely been in the game towards the end. If not for Dangerfield then for Sutton. She lead the team in assists, steals, and seemed like she wanted to get others involved before herself. It's clear I'm not the only one thinking it being she made the All -Tourney team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
USA BB needs to revamp their youth program so they are selecting the best team to compete and win Gold Medals. Lost last two World Championships and in both they had the best individual talent and were beaten by teams that played better Team Basketball.
I'm not sure I agree with either of those statement. The only possible revamp of USA basketball that would have prevented this outcome is to allow USA players to turn professional well before their 19th Birthday as Musina & Vadeeva did. The best individual talent Musina & Vadeeva was so overwhelmingly better than the other players at this age group the rest of the team pale by comparison. Kind of like when the USA had Stewie playing at this age group and lower. It's a good thing Russia is not playing in the U23 tournament next month because without the UCONN players the USA could be looking at another L.

Reaction Score
I've been saying it since last summer that Chennedy Carter was the #1 player in 2017 (not a slight towards walker). She has the full package and will certainly give A&M a boost next year.

I thought Harris should've definitely been in the game towards the end. If not for Dangerfield then for Sutton. She lead the team in assists, steals, and seemed like she wanted to get others involved before herself. It's clear I'm not the only one thinking it being she made the All -Tourney team.
I posted about C.Carter after the first FIBA game. She has a well rounded game and is not flustered. She knocks down the open shot and is pretty damn clutch. She is the type of player that can will her team to a win. She almost did today. I wish that I saw some of that in a few of her other teammates. Harris has also impressed me. I would have liked to see her later in the game as well.

With that being said, I am proud of our team. They will only get better.

I think a lot of what we are disappointed with is the inconsistency of play. Dangerfield(she knows) and Walker(soon will know) will have to consistently produce. Team USA and definitely not UCONN cannot win with extensive scoring droughts from the majority of the team.

1 or 2 talented players cannot beat team effort.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Not sold on Carter as #1 in the class yet. Carter is gifted offensively but her defensive effort and body language drive me bonkers. Harris should have been in the Game one the US fell behind and needed 3 point shooting. Surprisingly she was 40% for this tournament-2nd best on the team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Russia's center plays in the Euro league along with at least one other player. They have been practicing together for over a year.

It was a great game. Well played by both teams and as a UConn fan I'm glad that teamwork won out over individual play.

Both Vadeeva and Musina -- 2 of the best players on the court -- play in the Euroleague. They are both very skilled shot-makers who've played at a much higher level than their USA counterparts and it showed. Team USA had to rely too much on guards trying to create their own shots as there was no scoring from the post. I was surprised there was so little substitution in the 2nd half. I get shortening the rotation but both Sutton and Dangerfield needed a blow and Harris hardly played in the 2nd half.

Oh well, the kids played hard. I think we've seen the next Kelsey Plum. Carter is going to take a lot of shots in college and score a lot of points in college.

Reaction Score
The lack of adjustments made by the coaching staff is what happens when you have coaches from such perennial powers as University of Pittsburgh, Northern Colorado University, and Elon. There is a reason why they are not coaching at the highest ranks.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree with either of those statement. The only possible revamp of USA basketball that would have prevented this outcome is to allow USA players to turn professional well before their 19th Birthday as Musina & Vadeeva did. The best individual talent Musina & Vadeeva was so overwhelmingly better than the other players at this age group the rest of the team pale by comparison. Kind of like when the USA had Stewie playing at this age group and lower. It's a good thing Russia is not playing in the U23 tournament next month because without the UCONN players the USA could be looking at another L.

I beg to differ, there is certainly a lot more talent on the U23 team other then the UCONN players. Also the last time Russia played the US A'ja Wilson shredded Both Vadeeva & Musina for 30 points, 14 rebounds, and 5 blocks. Wilson btw is only 20 years old, too bad she wasn't 19 because they US definitely needed her today.

Reaction Score
[.........] It's a good thing Russia is not playing in the U23 tournament next month because without the UCONN players the USA could be looking at another L.

I love our UCONN players, I think they are the best but... ah... Have you seen the list of invitees? There is a lot of very serious firepower even without KLS,NC,GB & AZ.

I don't think USA is in any danger of catching an L.

Reaction Score
Just for reference:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 6.01.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 6.01.30 PM.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 74
Reaction Score

I think it says something about AAU BB. Seems to me it's oriented to individuals' rather than team play. Hard to change your M.O. unless you run into a hard ass like Geno who pretty much insists you learn to play team ball. Lots of little egos think they know better.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I love our UCONN players, I think they are the best but... ah... Have you seen the list of invitees? There is a lot of very serious firepower even without KLS,NC,GB & AZ.

I don't think USA is in any danger of catching an L.

Right. That invitee list is basically a who's who for WCBB right now.. USA should roll even without the UConn players. But that's why the game is played.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I watched the entire game and it was definitely lost in the paint... Musina and Vadeeva are just on another level than Hebard, Holmes and Alarie.. it's really not even a fair comparison at this point.

The Russian twin towers are very good for their age though.. professional athletes playing against players with a year or so of college experience.. Musina and Vadeeva are more comparable experience wise to the US post that are going to be selected for U23.. although they'd get eaten alive by most of them.

Reaction Score
Tennessee fans laughingon twitter at the US getting Silver because they felt Westbrook got "snubbed" and not making the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I beg to differ, there is certainly a lot more talent on the U23 team other then the UCONN players. Also the last time Russia played the US A'ja Wilson shredded Both Vadeeva & Musina for 30 points, 14 rebounds, and 5 blocks. Wilson btw is only 20 years old, too bad she wasn't 19 because they US definitely needed her today.
Couple of Questions : When A'Ja was shredding the Russians for those points her main side kick in the post was? And the PG was? And that other kid that was putting in worked on the wing was?
I"ll give you one hint they all play for the same college now.
I'm not trying to diss A'Ja but if Vadeeva & Musina were going to be in U23 tournament she would need some help because if you look at the other candidates it's been a minute since any of them have contributed at the international age group level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom