U19 Gold Medal Game - Russia vs USA - 4/30

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Presume game will be streamed on ESPN3.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
USA was visibly exhausted at the end of the game against Japan today.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
On Sunday, Russia will face the USA in a repeat of the 2015 Final which they lost on home soil in Chekhov. They were led by their leading scorer forward Raisa Musina (6'4" 190). Musina is ready to combine with Maria Vadeeva to lead unbeaten Russia to glory at the FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup 2017.

The duo have been the driving force behind Russia's stunning six wins, which culminated in their jaw-dropping 65-41 destruction of Canada in the Semi-Finals today, as the team lit it up from long-range. Musina stepped up in a big way with an impressive 22 points (3x3's), 16 rebounds and 3 assists - a performance which thrust her back into the All-Star Five reckoning. One or both of our BIGS are going to have to step up tomorrow. Musina cannot be allowed to have a similar game tomorrow.

This is not going to be a "walk-in-the-park" game for the US. They must be able to defend the perimeter, as well as stop the Russian guards from penetrating the paint. They've got to out hustle Russia for every loose ball the entire game. Russia has some height. Besides the 6'4" Musina, the also have 3 players at 6'2", and one other player at 6'4". They have been a very aggressive team so far tin this tournament.

Our girls said they're going to Italy to bring back the gold, let's see if they can. They're 40 minutes away from accomplishing that goal. If they win this game, it will take them all 40 minutes to do it. At times, team USA looked a little tired today, as did Japan. I think Russia will prove to be their toughest opponent so far.
If team USA brought their A+ game, tomorrow would be a good time to break the seal on it, and employ it.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Whatever "it" is in this case, team USA is still looking for "it." They've had some good moments, but mostly their play has been rather uninspiring.

Still, here's hoping for a big USA win.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Russia vs USA Stats Comparison: United States of America v Russia - 30 Jul - FIBA.basketball

Keys to the Game. IMO USA cannot start the game shooting poorly. If they do, unlike other teams they've faced Russia will get out to a double digit lead. USA has to keep the game close until they can use their superior depth to get a lead and win the game. USA needs contain Musina (#4) and Vadeeva (#7). They are Russia's go to players and stars. Both are strong front court players who have dominated other team, especially Vadeeva. Hebard and Homes both need to be at the top of their game if USA is to win this game.

Russia and USA are the best teams in this tournament and Russia may be playing the best team ball which has enabled them to easily win most games. Only Australia played them a close game. Russia winning 67-65. USA has the most talent, but in just about all their game, USA has exhibited lackluster play for long stretches. But they have the superior depth and talent to overcome this lackluster play to put away teams. Can't afford to do that today as Russia will take advantage of it.

If USA can keep the game close, they'll end up winning the Gold Medal. However, if they allow Russia to get out to a double digit lead early, I think USA team play will break down and players will attempt to win the game by their individual play. If that happens Russia easily wins the game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We have to score the ball, play teenacious defense and get out in transition. :D

Reaction Score
I do not know who is the HC for the USA team. But it seems to me the team is reflecting and/or showing the HC personality and passion. Geno's team is a reflection of his personality.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Canada beats Japan 67-60 to win the Bronze Medal. A great showing by Team Canada.
Australia loses to France 67-65 to finish 6th. A disappointing tournament for them. They expected to medal and probably thought good shot at Gold.
Spain loses to China 74-56 to finish 8th. Another huge disappointment as they also hoped to Medal.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The Head Coach is Suzie McConnel-Serio the current head coach of Pittsburgh.

Bio: Suzie McConnell-Serio

I do not know who is the HC for the USA team. But it seems to me the team is reflecting and/or showing the HC personality and passion. Geno's team is a reflection of his personality.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA out to a quick 9-2 lead after 2:30 minutes of play. Crystal with 5 points. Great Start for Team USA

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
link please, I dont feel like searching around

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Team USA offense seems to consist of either a fast break, or in the half court, 4 players stand absolutely still while the one with the ball moves. Pretty pathetic for a team as talented as USA. On the positive side, Danger sure has found her shot early on!!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am watching USA vs Russia via youtube. The score is 16-8. Crystal is the leading scorer so far.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
USA need to rebound. They have missed some shots, and were one and done. The score is now 22-17...USA way.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Russia is keeping it close because they actually run offense. Team USA seems to play a bit like an all star team - "if I'm open for second and you get me the ball, I will drive to the basket or shoot it, never mind if it's 5 seconds into the shot clock and I have to force up a crazy shot"...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
22-17 at the end of the 1st QTR. Team USA jumped out front on Russia hard and fast. Dangerfield hit her first 3 3 point shots, and she's playing some great defense.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA leads 22-17 end of 1st quarter. USA Relaying on Jump Shots. Russia getting better looks in the low post
VaDeeza of Russia is owning Hebard both offensively and defensively.
USA doesn't have an answer for Musina of Russia
Musina and VaDeeza have 14 of Russia's 7 points. Have stop these two players.
Crystal has 10 points in 1st quarter.
USA shooting 43%

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Russia leads 28-26 with 5:11 left in half.

USA cannot stop Musina. She has 13 points. Russia has great ball movement. 7 assists on their 12 made baskets vs 4 for USA on 12 made baskets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom