u18 usa VS vENEZULA 1:30 Pm | Page 2 | The Boneyard

u18 usa VS vENEZULA 1:30 Pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She is not squaring up to the basket on her jump shot either. Look at this photo, her uniform numbers & feet should be in alignment with the direction the ball is being launched. not pointing off to the side.

XubdKjKw1kOyCdVHxC0erg.jpg
You were taught that just like every other older person. She's actually shooting the correct way as far as being taught today. I got destroyed by a few on this board when I said that walker wasn't much better than Richards and Westbrook. Now you all are able to watch her game and not the rankings. Judge for yourself instead of what others who have not played the game tells you. She is a good player but to many people put her up there with Moore and Stewie. She's not that.

Reaction Score
You were taught that just like every other older person. She's actually shooting the correct way as far as being taught today. I got destroyed by a few on this board when I said that walker wasn't much better than Richards and Westbrook. Now you all are able to watch her game and not the rankings. Judge for yourself instead of what others who have not played the game tells you. She is a good player but to many people put her up there with Moore and Stewie. She's not that.

MW's abilities go far beyond scoring...............her shot is not broken but she clearly needs some work in that area............while the two other players you mentioned are also very talented, I have a feeling the majority of coaches out there would still choose to take MW if they had to pick only one of the three....................

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Anyone could've told you that. In fact, I did. Not many players on that level, ever.
Not ever anywhere, during any time period. Clearly an unfair comparison. Ben Simmons is a "good player, but too many people put him up there with" LeBron and Magic. "He's not that". Obviously not. Just unfair.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll let that older person remark slide! Are you telling me there are people out there teaching kids NOT to SQUARE up on the shot? Megan has been number 1 in the class since she was a Freshmen. That is plenty of time for Richards and Westbrook to catch up. Any comparison of MW on this board to MM was always immediately challenged, just like your notion about Richards-who has the most broken jump shot Hitch I have ever see. Must be a younger person teaching her to shoot-is that you by any chance?

JordyG

Reaction Score
I can't but agree. I don't mind so much the slew of young women launching shots from their shoulders (even though the longer the release point the greater the possibility for error). But the idea that shooters are taught not to square up for their shot just isn't true. I would like Skilledup to name just one respected coach/trainer/guru that teaches this.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In reality I can't wait to see her play WCBB period. She's a deserving young lady with her head seemingly on straight. I've a feeling however in Kim's system development of an outside shot will be stunted. That may prove to be a hindrance when, not if, she moves on to the WNBA. However having a hint of this young lady's character, she'll work on that anyway.

She will be playing the 4 a lot and will be encouraged to shoot from the outside. Brown and Mompremier will be down on the block, giving Cox more freedom to shoot that 15 to 20 footer.

I watched BG in many pre-game warmups at Baylor drain 3-pointer after 3-pointer but I think she was allowed to take one 3-pointer in her career, which she made. However, she is just now being given the freedom in Brondello's system to step out and take the foul line jumper. She's shooting 80% from the charity strip and really has beautiful form.

Coaches seem to like it when 6-8 players play close to the basket. It will be interesting to see how often Geno has BG shooting anywhere other than 5 feet from the basket. Something tells me he will use her exactly the same way Mulkey did.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
She will be playing the 4 a lot and will be encouraged to shoot from the outside. Brown and Mompremier will be down on the block, giving Cox more freedom to shoot that 15 to 20 footer.

I watched BG in many pre-game warmups at Baylor drain 3-pointer after 3-pointer but I think she was allowed to take one 3-pointer in her career, which she made. However, she is just now being given the freedom in Brondello's system to step out and take the foul line jumper. She's shooting 80% from the charity strip and really has beautiful form.

Coaches seem to like it when 6-8 players play close to the basket. It will be interesting to see how often Geno has BG shooting anywhere other than 5 feet from the basket. Something tells me he will use her exactly the same way Mulkey did.
From what I've seen of Cox throughout her career and during FIBA games over the years, she is a low block player with not much of a shot beyond 8 feet; and she seems to have the best shooting form out of the three. If Kim wants to play all three consistently teams that move the ball well, spread the floor, run the floor well, shoot the three well will take full advantage of this. Those teams like Oregon State that use a variety of screens off the high post will also take full advantage of this. Out of the three of them Cox is easily the best passer. I think Cox will play the 4/5 alternating with Brown, who emerged as the more effective player during the NCAA's last year. I think Mompremier will ultimately be the odd woman out in Mulkey's scheme, and I have little faith that this will set well with Beatrice. This with Cave and Davis still getting their fair share of minutes. Good luck keeping these over recruited positions happy.

Reaction Score
I can't but agree. I don't mind so much the slew of young women launching shots from their shoulders (even though the longer the release point the greater the possibility for error). But the idea that shooters are taught not to square up for their shot just isn't true. I would like Skilledup to name just one respected coach/trainer/guru that teaches this.
I am sorry for the late response. Look at this video.....Walker is shooting just like they do in this video. I was taught the same thing you all are saying but like they say in the video, it's changed.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
From what I've seen of Cox throughout her career and during FIBA games over the years, she is a low block player with not much of a shot beyond 8 feet; and she seems to have the best shooting form out of the three. If Kim wants to play all three consistently teams that move the ball well, spread the floor, run the floor well, shoot the three well will take full advantage of this. Those teams like Oregon State that use a variety of screens off the high post will also take full advantage of this. Out of the three of them Cox is easily the best passer. I think Cox will play the 4/5 alternating with Brown, who emerged as the more effective player during the NCAA's last year. I think Mompremier will ultimately be the odd woman out in Mulkey's scheme, and I have little faith that this will set well with Beatrice. This with Cave and Davis still getting their fair share of minutes. Good luck keeping these over recruited positions happy.

Hey, if Mompremier leaves we will still have Brown and Cox. Still not a bad position to be in. But I'm not sure anyone will want to transfer out the season after winning a national championship, although that did happen at UCONN, so you never know. The prospect of a championship is not always enough for a player to stick around.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Hey, if Mompremier leaves we will still have Brown and Cox. Still not a bad position to be in. But I'm not sure anyone will want to transfer out the season after winning a national championship, although that did happen at UCONN, so you never know. The prospect of a championship is not always enough for a player to stick around.
And I say toe-maa-to. I think once again Mulkey's poor coaching decisions and on court antics will relegate this talented team to a quarterfinal loss. She'd better beat Dawn this year because the Husky's will return in 2017-18 with a vengeance.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And I say toe-maa-to. I think once again Mulkey's poor coaching decisions and on court antics will relegate this talented team to a quarterfinal loss. She'd better beat Dawn this year because the Husky's will return in 2017-18 with a vengeance.

LOL. Your hatred for Mulkey amuses me.

Reaction Score
I think I see the gap here as far as what squaring up is. Many years ago, it was thought that squaring up meant getting the shoulders and chest square to the target. But that's an unnatural position that causes shooting from the side by the shoulder. The correct technique involves getting the elbow, forearm, and palm forming a relatively straight line up and down in line with the target while the eyes are square to it. Go to YouTube and pull up Larry Bird in the NBA 3 point contests from the 80's, that would be a good example.

JordyG

Reaction Score
LOL. Your hatred for Mulkey amuses me.
Not hatred. Sports is fantasy, and although I love fantasy I've no room in my heart for hate. I do intensely dislike her continuing snipes about Geno and UConn in general. I however am amused by her on court decisions and lack of self control. And yes, I think she is a brilliant recruiter and and a highly overrated coach.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think I see the gap here as far as what squaring up is. Many years ago, it was thought that squaring up meant getting the shoulders and chest square to the target. But that's an unnatural position that causes shooting from the side by the shoulder. The correct technique involves getting the elbow, forearm, and palm forming a relatively straight line up and down in line with the target while the eyes are square to it. Go to YouTube and pull up Larry Bird in the NBA 3 point contests from the 80's, that would be a good example.
Indeed that is squaring up. The alignment between your hand, elbow and eyes with your feet set. Here there is no argument from this corner.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not hatred. Sports is fantasy, and although I love fantasy I've no room in my heart for hate. I do intensely dislike her continuing snipes about Geno and UConn in general. I however am amused by her on court decisions and lack of self control. And yes, I think she is a brilliant recruiter and and a highly overrated coach.

OK...I have to call you out on this one. Give me an example of when Mulkey has ever sniped at Geno or UCONN. I cannot remember ONE example of Mulkey speaking a negative word about Geno or UCONN. Are you confusing her with "she who cannot name players" from Duke?

Does anyone else know when Mulkey has taken a shot at the UCONN program? If she did I missed it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am sorry for the late response. Look at this video.....Walker is shooting just like they do in this video. I was taught the same thing you all are saying but like they say in the video, it's changed.

Changed for the worst IMO. No wonder why so many kids are coming to college not knowing how to shoot. Some kids must be as confused as I am because this guy talk about other sports boxing and baseball as much as he does basketball. Herb Magee "The Shot Doctor" has been teaching shooting the same way for 50 years or so now. In this video he talks about the lead leg being pointed and centered on the basket. In the picture Megan's right leg is pointed almost 90 degrees away from the flight of the ball.

BTW Kevin Durant in your video is the definition of being squared up.

Reaction Score
She alone is worth the price of admission. And you may even get a free jacket thrown your way.

I haven't seen enough of Baylor to know but I would think that half the crowd ends up watching her instead of the kids on the court when she goes into attack mode................................

JordyG

Reaction Score
OK...I have to call you out on this one. Give me an example of when Mulkey has ever sniped at Geno or UCONN. I cannot remember ONE example of Mulkey speaking a negative word about Geno or UCONN. Are you confusing her with "she who cannot name players" from Duke?

Does anyone else know when Mulkey has taken a shot at the UCONN program? If she did I missed it.
I think the first side eye was when she down played the 2-18-13 matchup when Baylor was 1 and UConn was 2. Calling it unimportant as compared to a conference championship, which Baylor easily had wrapped up by then. The refusal to play UConn anywhere these last years combined with the comment after losing to Oregon State raised my brow. That of "It doesn't last forever, so enjoy it now." Of course nothing is forever. But if that's so, why refuse then to play UConn? To me she seems to hold little grudges: The refusal to ever play a Blair team again. Never scheduling Louisville after that tourney stomp. Not playing UConn after the last loss. Okay, maybe it's just my silly projection, but I've always seen her behavior as petulant and slightly jealous.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think the first side eye was when she down played the 2-18-13 matchup when Baylor was 1 and UConn was 2. Calling it unimportant as compared to a conference championship, which Baylor easily had wrapped up by then. The refusal to play UConn anywhere these last years combined with the comment after losing to Oregon State raised my brow. That of "It doesn't last forever, so enjoy it now." Of course nothing is forever. But if that's so, why refuse then to play UConn? To me she seems to hold little grudges: The refusal to ever play a Blair team again. Never scheduling Louisville after that tourney stomp. Not playing UConn after the last loss. Okay, maybe it's just my silly projection, but I've always seen her behavior as petulant and slightly jealous.

You are REALLY stretching with these "examples." I would hardly categorize any of this as "continuing snipes." Here is the definition of snipe that I found: to attack a person or a person's work with petulant or snide criticism. None of your "examples" meet this criteria.

I would like to see a link to where she said "it doesn't last forever, so enjoy it now" in reference to UCONN. I think you are creating incidents in your mind.

Not playing UCONN is not in any way making a negative statement about UCONN. Your main issue seems to be that you don't like the fact that she didn't play UCONN.

And so what if she downplayed a non-conference game. That is no slap in the face to UCONN. She has always said that her first objective when the season starts is winning the conference championship. You are just peeved that someone would say that a game against UCONN is the not most important event of the year.

If you don't like Mulkey for various reason I can certainly understand that, but don't try to say that she has ever been disrespectful to Geno or UCONN when there is no evidence of that. And all Baylor fans have immense respect for Geno and what he does at UCONN.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

And now that I have said what I needed to say I am letting you join my "wall of honor."

JordyG

Reaction Score
You are REALLY stretching with these "examples." I would hardly categorize any of this as "continuing snipes." Here is the definition of snipe that I found: to attack a person or a person's work with petulant or snide criticism. None of your "examples" meet this criteria.

I would like to see a link to where she said "it doesn't last forever, so enjoy it now" in reference to UCONN. I think you are creating incidents in your mind.

Not playing UCONN is not in any way making a negative statement about UCONN. Your main issue seems to be that you don't like the fact that she didn't play UCONN.

And so what if she downplayed a non-conference game. That is no slap in the face to UCONN. She has always said that her first objective when the season starts is winning the conference championship. You are just peeved that someone would say that a game against UCONN is the not most important event of the year.

If you don't like Mulkey for various reason I can certainly understand that, but don't try to say that she has ever been disrespectful to Geno or UCONN when there is no evidence of that. And all Baylor fans have immense respect for Geno and what he does at UCONN.
As for "It doesn't last forever so enjoy it now" please listen to her conference after the Oregon St. game. As for making your wall of honor, first and foremost I would like to thank God. I would like to thank my costars who are too numerous to name. You know who you are. Finally I would like to thank my parents who stood by me through my debilitating fight cheesecake addiction. This award is for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom