U18 Player Reviews | The Boneyard

U18 Player Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
The more I read on our incoming class the more I am anxiously awaiting to see them suit up.

Jefferson, Stewart, & Tuck are going to be great players to watch and support.

GO UCONN!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's a nice write up on all the kids. one player i'm particularly interested in seeing progress (as far as non-UCONN kids goes) is Imani Stafford - i'm not sure if UCONN was every in play for her, but at 6'7", she's hard to miss. it seems that either bad timing (or injuries?) has prevented her from really impacting anywhere... at least from what i've read. and the elite teams she's been on, she's been relatively a non-factor. but they raved about her and i'm curious to see how she will do at Texas...

Reaction Score
Curious as well about Stafford. Her pelvic injury that removed her from last year's national team hindered her for awhile. She played under a couple older posts in the U17 World. That team had E. Williams, Stewart, Tuck, Burdick and a slew of impact guards like KML, Loyd, and Massengale. Not going to read too much into her stats since she only played about 9 mins a game. My understanding is that she had a recent significant growth spurt too that was taking some time to adjust as far as her coordination. Teenagers can be awkward to begin with, but to then shoot up to the 6'7 range at 15/16 I imagine was difficult. I'm more intrigued that she stuck with the Texas commitment despite the odd coaching hire and that she didn't go to UNC despite her aunt being an assistant. Great athletic family with all of her mother's accomplishments and her brother being in the NBA.

Reaction Score
But from what I understand, Imani wasn't able to lead her HS team very deep in the HS playoffs, which is somewhat telling to me. A 6-7 player who is that good would likely do so. I understand there are all sorts of circumstances, but most great players led their HS teams fairly far.

Reaction Score
I
But from what I understand, Imani wasn't able to lead her HS team very deep in the HS playoffs, which is somewhat telling to me. A 6-7 player who is that good would likely do so. I understand there are all sorts of circumstances, but most great players led their HS teams fairly far.

I understand that thought process, but it happens. Reimer's HS team in IN was undefeated and lost in the first round of the local sectionals. She's a legit player. Don't have any idea what the circumstances are with Stafford's HS team. We've seen a college team with an unstoppable 6'8 center that forgets for long stretches to get her the ball.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yep. If her team didn't have anyone to get her the ball, it could be tough. I imagine she was double and triple teamed as well, and if they didn't have any outside shooters to keep teams honest, she might not have been able to do much. It's much easier to dominate in high school if you are a great guard/forward, in my opinion. Posts just take longer to develop.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I

I understand that thought process, but it happens. Reimer's HS team in IN was undefeated and lost in the first round of the local sectionals. She's a legit player. Don't have any idea what the circumstances are with Stafford's HS team. We've seen a college team with an unstoppable 6'8 center that forgets for long stretches to get her the ball.

Yes we have. Baylor tends to get a lead and then go away form BG until the game gets tight. This also happened to BG in her final HS game. She was about 7 inches taller than any player on the opposing team and her teammates still couldn't get her the ball.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Except Stafford played with Canada as PG who was on the previous USA team!!!!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Staffords team, Windward HS, made it to the Championship game for their Divsion in the Southern Section CIF playoffs. The Southern Section is the biggest and top level of overall teams. Windward lost in double OT. They also have three other players, at least, who will be D-1 players after graduatuing HS. Jordin Canada/pg, as mentioned in the previous post, Courtney Jaco, another guard, and Kristen Simon, a PF. Windward HS also made it to the State playoffs where they went a few rounds but Stafford and Simon were suspended for at least one game of the state playoff rounds. I believe Simon may no longer be at the school, at least that is a rumor in So Cal.
Stafford, at 6'6' or 6'7"(she is tall) averaged only 9.7ppg in her senior year, while playing nearly all of her teams games. In her Junior year she missed a lot of games, for supposed personal reasons. I have seen her play on numerous occasions and feel she "might" develop into a top player, but IMO is not ready for "top college level" play. The last time I saw her play was in March in the 2OT loss, so it is almost as recent as possible. IMO, a 6'7" should be dominating play, especially surrounded by talent. B. Stewart is a dominant player, and showed it in HS(without the top talent around her that Stafford has), and on Team USA teams. Stafford didnt and was not that good at posting up. I saw her try too often and was outmuscled by players who were 6'1".
In Staffords defense I think there is more to the situation, I just dont know what. She was a lock to go to USC. She was at nearly every home game that I was at and always went into the locker room after the games. She was being helped, at times, by Lisa Leslie, who is friends with Michael Cooper, the USC coach. Her mom played at USC. Why she suddenly switched to Texas, I dont know. It appears it was best for her to get away. If so I wish her the best at UT. I hope she doesnt have to face BG when UT plays Baylor. It wont be pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom