U18 Brazil vs USA Gold Medal Game Live 8:15 tonight | Page 6 | The Boneyard

U18 Brazil vs USA Gold Medal Game Live 8:15 tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That was Bre? I thought it was Prince there at the end? Maybe there was another play because I thought Prince actually shot before the final buzzer sounded.
Yes she did - final score is 71-47, not the classiest thing to do.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yes she did - final score is 71-47, not the classiest thing to do.

Agreed. Maybe that was her reward for being put back on the court with 34 seconds left so that other players could take a curtain call. I didn't find that move very classy by the coach.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
A little too much cheesin' during the anthem, IMO, but these are high school girls after all....

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I did think that statistically Morgan Tuck had the better tournament.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
That was Bre? I thought it was Prince there at the end? Maybe there was another play because I thought Prince actually shot before the final buzzer sounded.

Must be my mistake. I thought it was Bre - but whoever it was, I didn't think the shot counted? I thought it was right *after* the buzzer sounded. No?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
A little too much cheesin' during the anthem, IMO, but these are high school girls after all....

Agreed. Like Walter Payton said, "Act like you've been there before and like you'll be there again.". Or something to that effect.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Anybody understand what they said about the three awards, one each to one player on each team? Were they Captain's awards of some sort, or was it special recognition of play?

I'm confused b/c obviously they gave the tournament MVP award to Bre but then Morgan got an award (as did one player from BRA and ARG).

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Mabrey is going to be a royal PITA hitting those 3's for the Irish.
Except I have not yet seen her create her own shot and she takes some time to get that three off.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Must be my mistake. I thought it was Bre - but whoever it was, I didn't think the shot counted? I thought it was right *after* the buzzer sounded. No?

It seemed like Prince was waiting for the buzzer and then was going to shoot after it sounded, but she released the ball almost simultaneously. Considering that she could have driven right in instead of holding the ball back I kind of think it was unintentional.

Yeah, I'll go with that.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I didn't see it that way.

What I saw was the wing people being ineffective in getting the ball inside.

Morgan had to fight real hard for her points down low.

I also think that she out scored/rebounded Breanna.

It will be interesting to see the final box score.

Peace,

John Fryer

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It seemed like Prince was waiting for the buzzer and then was going to shoot after it sounded, but she released the ball almost simultaneously. Considering that she could have driven right in instead of holding the ball back I kind of think it was unintentional.

Yeah, I'll go with that.

And I had the screen 'small' rather than full-screen at that point, so that's *my* excuse...;)

Reaction Score
Except I have not yet seen her create her own shot and she takes some time to get that three off.
Yep. You just have to put somebody on Mabrey to dog her everywhere she goes.

Does anyone remember Connecticut's recruiting Mabrey? According to ESPN, she "considered" UConn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Could be that she shot it at 0:00 and the buzzer was a tad behind.
I'll go with that as well, but I do believe it counted. (And yes it was Prince)

On MVP - I think Tuck led team in points, I think Stewart in rebounds, and close between Mabrey and Jefferson with assists for the tournament. I think Bre may have been second in points and third in assists. I think when you look at the whole package Stewart is a good MVP choice.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Anybody understand what they said about the three awards, one each to one player on each team? Were they Captain's awards of some sort, or was it special recognition of play?

I'm confused b/c obviously they gave the tournament MVP award to Bre but then Morgan got an award (as did one player from BRA and ARG).

-No se, regarding the Spanish wording, Mike, but I think I understood that following the individual medals, each team captain finally received the team trophy for 3rd, then 2nd, and finally Captain Morgan Tuck for her team’s 1st place.
-I liked the announcer’s joke, immediately after he referred to that trophy being presented to USA's ‘Mogan Tuck the Captain’ in Spanish, he then said in English:

‘That’s right… Captain Morgan! … No relation!'
Captain Morgan.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The PBP under the box score has Prince scoring at the buzzer.

Reaction Score
Yep. You just have to put somebody on Mabrey to dog her everywhere she goes.

Does anyone remember Connecticut's recruiting Mabrey? According to ESPN, she "considered" UConn.
I found this article from "Inside the Paint' from Feb 2011 by Josh Newman. I don't know how to link the article but here is a portion of what it says:

" The 800-pound gorilla in the room in this situation as it stands now is the University of Connecticut. Patti Mabrey confirmed on Tuesday evening that the Storrs, Conn. campus is the only unofficial visit her daughter has taken so far. That unofficial visit took place in the middle of September, but it should be noted that UConn head coach Geno Auriemma was not on campus. He was in Spain coaching the USA Women’s National Team in an exhibition game against Australia in anticipation of the FIBA World Championships.
How involved is UConn? They checked out Mabrey twice last summer, but that has been it so far in terms of actual live basketball. It’s been e-mails from Huskies assistants since then."

Reaction Score
Thanks for the report, Sarge! You're relieved of duty for the night!

Getting back to Mabrey, I think she'd be a lot more dangerous on last year's ND team than this year. With Peters gone from the post it should be easier to cover the perimeter shooters.

She is pretty good, though.

Reaction Score
That's true - but I think tonight also showed why she will be better at the 3 than the 4 in the early stages. She's great all over the court but she does not go up quite as strong against contact down low as some other top forwards do. She can mix it up down low but is better when she has a little space to use her length. Morgan seems more patient with her pivot. I only saw the little jump hook in the lane once tonight, whereas Tuck and Graves look more comfortable and adept at consistently sealing off the defender on their hip. Certainly part of it was that the coach was having others post up more often than Bre, with Bre making entries from the wing.
She will not play any 3 this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01