U18 Brazil vs USA Gold Medal Game Live 8:15 tonight | Page 8 | The Boneyard

U18 Brazil vs USA Gold Medal Game Live 8:15 tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I do hope that Geno uses Stewart on Griner. She undoubtedly pick up a foul or two and will most likely be tired on the offensive end.

For the same reasons that I said (in another thread) that Stewart isn't a 5, I don't think that Geno should use Stewart at that position against BG, as the primary defender. Stef, Heather and Kiah in that order should be the bodies with primary responsibility playing between BG and the basket.

Stewart should be the help defender from the top and side to harass BG whenever she is in the area. Stef and Heather have the strong base needed to play primary defense behind BG. Would be a mistake to put a freshman BStewart in that position.

Reaction Score
I see no way that Stewart plays in back of BG because she won't be strong enough to keep BG from backing her deep into the paint. I see Dolson in back and Stewart in front. In the Stanford game that landed both O sisters in foul trouble. It's not an easy task no matter who it is.

Dolson, Stokes and Buck will be the ones bodying Griner from behind and keeping her from establishing low position.

This game should be a real chess match, and Game 1 won't show all the moves...it will probe for weaknesses, map tendencies and maybe throw in a lullabye or two...can't wait!

Reaction Score
Something Breanna brings to the table, most other 6-4 players don't, is the ability to rebound and lead the fast break. She'll throw the outlet, if the pass is there, but won't stand, and wait to hand the ball to a guard.

Reaction Score
Not sure anyone is obssessing in this case - simply disagreeing with you when you say Stewart is "such a natural PF". To me she is more of a natural SF who can also be great at PF (especially on defense), which is, again, where I see her playing the majority of her minutes at Connecticut. Just not the 99% you envision.

From what I have seen--most recently in the FIBA games--she doesn't finish like a classic PF when she is in close to the rim with bodies on her. She is at her best (read: extraordinary) with a little space. Her little jump hook for example is most effective when she comes from the wing, makse a couple of steps to find a seam, and elevates. Am I saying she can't make great plays in the lane, in traffic, back to the basket, with bodies around, etc.? Of course not. I just see someone who is as comfortable with her face-up game as she is her post-up game, if not more so. A sharp contrast with a player like Stokes who is a natural 5/4 for sure and is only just starting to develop a comfort level facing up away from the basket. With Kiah on this team, I would keep Stewart at the 4 or 3 barring injury or foul trouble for both Stef and Kiah.
She's a natural SF...who never plays SF? Got it.

You know whose game you just described? Kevin Garnett (not coincidentally, that's who Geno compared Stewart to). Garnett, also, doesn't particularly like contact inside, and his strength offensively is his mid-range jumper. That makes him a face-up PF - in fact, he's one of the 5 best PFs to ever play the game - not a natural SF.

Does Stewart have the offensive skillset to play some SF? Sure, but that same skillset makes her a gigantic matchup problem against opposing PFs. In addition, playing her on the wing takes away from her tremendous rebounding ability and paint presence.

Stewart will not spend even 1% of her UConn career playing SF. Nor should she.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Something Breanna brings to the table, most other 6-4 players don't, is the ability to rebound and lead the fast break. She'll throw the outlet, if the pass is there, but won't stand, and wait to hand the ball to a guard.

She better watch doing that. CP3 was labeled as selfish for doing that during the Olympics.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Dumb question: why is Candace Parker CP3? Every time I read that, I have to take a second and think, "wait, that's Candace, not Chris Paul." You can't just jack someone else's nickname, even if you have the same initials/number.

Reaction Score
Dumb question: why is Candace Parker CP3? Every time I read that, I have to take a second and think, "wait, that's Candace, not Chris Paul." You can't just jack someone else's nickname, even if you have the same initials/number.

.. . . . . . . . . You can say THAT again, pal!

c3po-star-wars-protocol-droid.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe she has been CP3 as long as Chris Paul. It dates back to her sophomore year. Something like 7 years ago. I, actually, thought Chris Paul hijacked it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Parker is the original - and it helps us spelling challenged from getting the Candace/Candice wrong!

Reaction Score
IMHO, if she doesn't suffer an injury, Morgan Tuck will own the 4 spot for the next for years.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Is that the 4 spot on the bench? I'm pretty sure she'll be a freshman and experience is worth quite a bit in the real world of elite WCBB. Not likely to own anything this year. (With that said - I'm hoping she does own an NCAA championship at the end of the year)
Is it possible to get over the shiny new thing infatuation?

Reaction Score
Is that the 4 spot on the bench? I'm pretty sure she'll be a freshman and experience is worth quite a bit in the real world of elite WCBB. Not likely to own anything this year. (With that said - I'm hoping she does own an NCAA championship at the end of the year)
Is it possible to get over the shiny new thing infatuation?

Most of this thread has focused on how great Breanna is/will be, I thought it might be appropriate to remind folks that Morgan Tuck is also in the house.

Since neither of them have yet to experience their first Div. 1 practice.

And as I said in a different post, IMO Morgan's skill sets makes her a natural at the 4 spot.

Further, IMO, until Breanna bulks up, if she ever does, her skill sets might make her more comfortable and more effective on the wings. (As I recall, a number of posters have made similar observations. The problem with Breanna at the 3 spot is that it is currently occuppied by KML!)

Many BYs have noted that the upcoming season will present a number of PT and player position problems for coach A resolve. How he manages the addition of 3 AA freshmen, who all want/expect to play, an AA, two AAs in-waiting, and Kelly Faris should make for some very interesing discussions this season at the BY.

Oh, I didn't forget Caroline, Brianna and Heather I just don't see how they will get many meaningful minutes in important games.

With a 10 players roster, we should all pray for an injury free season!

Don't forget that we are all just speculating.

Well, a few BYs might be projecting a little bit.

Peace,

John Fryer

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Most of this thread has focused on how great Breanna is/will be, I thought it might be appropriate to remind folks that Morgan Tuck is also in the house.

Since neither of them have yet to experience their first Div. 1 practice.

And as I said in a different post, IMO Morgan's skill sets makes her a natural at the 4 spot.

Further, IMO, until Breanna bulks up, if she ever does, her skill sets might make her more comfortable and more effective on the wings. (As I recall, a number of posters have made similar observations. The problem with Breanna at the 3 spot is that it is currently occuppied by KML!)

Many BYs have noted that the upcoming season will present a number of PT and player position problems for coach A resolve. How he manages the addition of 3 AA freshmen, who all want/expect to play, an AA, two AAs in-waiting, and Kelly Faris should make for some very interesing discussions this season at the BY.

Oh, I didn't forget Caroline, Brianna and Heather I just don't see how they will get many meaningful minutes in important games.

With a 10 players roster, we should all pray for an injury free season!

So forget that we are all just speculating.

Well, a few BYs might be projecting a little bit.

Peace,

John Fryer
so, saying that Doty, Buck, and Banks won't see meaningful minutes isn't projecting some? And Tuck owning the 4 for 4 years? Doubt it. Eventually? Maybe.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
A
I think Parker is the original - and it helps us spelling challenged from getting the Candace/Candice wrong!
ctally, I know fron cruising Checkerboard Sqrare (when it was free) that her name is actually "Candance".

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I believe she has been CP3 as long as Chris Paul. It dates back to her sophomore year. Something like 7 years ago. I, actually, thought Chris Paul hijacked it.

:rolleyes:

From wiki

During the second season of ESPN's It's the Shoes, Paul revealed to Bobbito Garcia that the "CP3" nickname came from family tradition. The combination of his initials and jersey number is strictly a coincidence. His father (Charles Paul) and older brother (C.J. Paul) are nicknamed CP1 and CP2, respectively. Paul also notes that all three men's initials are CEP."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

From wiki

During the second season of ESPN's It's the Shoes, Paul revealed to Bobbito Garcia that the "CP3" nickname came from family tradition. The combination of his initials and jersey number is strictly a coincidence. His father (Charles Paul) and older brother (C.J. Paul) are nicknamed CP1 and CP2, respectively. Paul also notes that all three men's initials are CEP."
I don't know about personal family names, only speaking of public and board uses I was aware about.Mi do not remember Paul being called CP3 in college. He may have but I don't remember it.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

From wiki

How does someone named "C.J. Paul" have initials CEP?

Reaction Score
I think everyone will get plenty of playing time. With all that talent on the bench, defensive pressure will be greater than ever before. No need to conserve energy and a need to "show what you've got" while you're in there. Perhaps the first 200 point game on offense, and single digit points allowed on defense (if I may be allowed a touch of Tony C).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't know about personal family names, only speaking of public and board uses I was aware about.Mi do not remember Paul being called CP3 in college. He may have but I don't remember it.

He is a local kid.... so I knew about him in high school. And of course he went on to play for Wake Forest.... so I heard/saw alot about him in college. I dont recall ever hearing the CP3 name associated with Parker until the last few years on messageboards. Personally I think she should change her moniker to CPW :cool:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
He is a local kid.... so I knew about him in high school. And of course he went on to play for Wake Forest.... so I heard/saw alot about him in college. I dont recall ever hearing the CP3 name associated with Parker until the last few years on messageboards. Personally I think she should change her moniker to CPW :cool:
As I said I remember it from her sophomore year. Courtney Paris has, also, been referred to as CP3 but that was after Candace.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought it was Courtney Paris. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01