U17 World Championships: USA v Mali (7/22/18) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

U17 World Championships: USA v Mali (7/22/18)

Reaction Score
I will say it again and probably again! And some very strong, well known voices here, will talk and talk about the things that have been pillars of the success of the U Conns women's basketball program and surely one has been manner in which the young women learn to behave on and off the court. But now that maybe the next DT or MM (or better) comes along throw it out the window because all that matters is we must get and have that recruit and of course might not win as much without them.
Let me explain my thinking on this one and I do have one aspect of it that I'm not sure about.
It says a huge amount about a person who would go to another country, at a international tournament and purposely and continually create sounds that effect every person at the game and watching or hearing it can not help being impacted by! If this was done by a parent of anyone other than a superstar player, we wouldn't even be having this conversation! If I were present, crazy as I am, I would have surely done something to tell him to stop. Of course, first of all he probably was not asked or told by anyone, whether it be someone in the stands or a member of the USA basketball hierarchy to stop. The obnoxiousness and annoyingness of continually trying to disrupt the other teams offense throughout the game, surely strongly points to his not giving a damn about what anyone thinks. Of yes, he's Azzi Fudd's dad, so what might you have to say? This is one very clear example of what Geno talks about that makes it so much harder to coach now then years ago. The entitledness of such behavior is as loud as the noises he perpetuated on all, and the only choice one has is leave the arena, turn off the volume if watching from afar, or confront him and cause more of a mess.
I truly feel sorry for Azzi Fudd that her Dad can't control whatever drives and drove such behavior. On many levels, I feel why should she be punished for her fathers behavior? But if you don't expect decent behavior and common sense from him, what might very likely comes along with accepting such?
I am and have been a loud, sometimes inappropriate voice at my daughters sporting events years ago and I now regret that behavior. Of course, she couldn't come close to shining Azzi Fudd's basketball shoes. And of course, the child is not responsible for their parents behavior? Unfortunately if you just accept it, especially from a parent of maybe an all time great players father, what might likely be coming with it over the next X years, and how does that impact your handling of other players and their families? A parent of another star recruit who has worked hard to behave appropriately when at times they might have thought otherwise, what's the message to them and more importantly to their kids, especially the star players. Actually some parents might use accepting or rejecting such behavior as an important part of where they wish their child to attend college and be the primary basketball role model of their daughter from before they arrive until after they leave.
I could and already have gone on way too long!
I will finish by stating that tolerating such behavior is enabling such behavior. It is one of numerous elements of what's happening throughout our society that puts us firmly where we are today.
I've moved on from Azzi Fudd and I hope U Conn has as well. As adults, children watch and hear not only what we hear and say, but what we DO!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Let me get this right? UCONN should stop recruiting Fudd because of something her father did in Belarus?
shake-my-head-gif-23.gif
Hasn't that happened numerous times previously for a lot less obnoxious, disrupting behavior!
Or maybe there needs to be special rules for extra special players?
Please don't try to mock or minimize my comments! You'd do better re-considering yours!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I will say it again and probably again! And some very strong, well known voices here, will talk and talk about the things that have been pillars of the success of the U Conns women's basketball program and surely one has been manner in which the young women learn to behave on and off the court. But now that maybe the next DT or MM (or better) comes along throw it out the window because all that matters is we must get and have that recruit and of course might not win as much without them.
Let me explain my thinking on this one and I do have one aspect of it that I'm not sure about.
It says a huge amount about a person who would go to another country, at a international tournament and purposely and continually create sounds that effect every person at the game and watching or hearing it can not help being impacted by! If this was done by a parent of anyone other than a superstar player, we wouldn't even be having this conversation! If I were present, crazy as I am, I would have surely done something to tell him to stop. Of course, first of all he probably was not asked or told by anyone, whether it be someone in the stands or a member of the USA basketball hierarchy to stop. The obnoxiousness and annoyingness of continually trying to disrupt the other teams offense throughout the game, surely strongly points to his not giving a damn about what anyone thinks. Of yes, he's Azzi Fudd's dad, so what might you have to say? This is one very clear example of what Geno talks about that makes it so much harder to coach now then years ago. The entitledness of such behavior is as loud as the noises he perpetuated on all, and the only choice one has is leave the arena, turn off the volume if watching from afar, or confront him and cause more of a mess.
I truly feel sorry for Azzi Fudd that her Dad can't control whatever drives and drove such behavior. On many levels, I feel why should she be punished for her fathers behavior? But if you don't expect decent behavior and common sense from him, what might very likely comes along with accepting such?
I am and have been a loud, sometimes inappropriate voice at my daughters sporting events years ago and I now regret that behavior. Of course, she couldn't come close to shining Azzi Fudd's basketball shoes. And of course, the child is not responsible for their parents behavior? Unfortunately if you just accept it, especially from a parent of maybe an all time great players father, what might likely be coming with it over the next X years, and how does that impact your handling of other players and their families? A parent of another star recruit who has worked hard to behave appropriately when at times they might have thought otherwise, what's the message to them and more importantly to their kids, especially the star players. Actually some parents might use accepting or rejecting such behavior as an important part of where they wish their child to attend college and be the primary basketball role model of their daughter from before they arrive until after they leave.
I will finish by stating that tolerating such behavior is enabling such behavior. It is one of numerous elements of what's happening throughout our society that puts us firmly where we are today.
I've moved on from Azzi Fudd and I hope U Conn has as well. As adults, children watch and hear not only what we hear and say, but what we DO!
Bronx23
I don't think it is wise to make a recruiting decision based on a single data point. That said, Tim Fudd's behavior does smack of entitlement, which is worrisome. In addition, it draws the attention to himself rather than to the young women who are giving their all on the court. And it is beyond tacky when the opponent is completely overmatched.

Perhaps he is just clueless and would modify his behavior if called to account. Perhaps Azzi does not have a solipsistic bone in her body. However, even when kids have their heads screwed on straight, as appears to be the case with Lonzo Ball, their parents antics and neediness can negatively affect a team and program. Again, the sample size is much too small to draw any conclusions. However ... .

Reaction Score
Maybe there's one exception to every rule, especially when the offending parent's daughter has superstar written all over her.
I take the opposite view. The more celebrated the player, the greater the potential for dysfunction. No one would care if the father of the last player off the Los Angeles Lakers bench was a boot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I didn’t watch the game, but if Tim Fudd was using an air horn, I don’t like it. In addition to being Azzi’s father, he’s also a coach, so it seems that he should be aware of what constitutes good sportsmanship. That said, I think it is one data point and shouldn’t on its own cause a school to stop recruiting her.

To tie this to the thread on who should be on the USA Senior Team and whether Skylar’s lack of international experience hurts her, I expect there to be hundreds of Spaniards with similar devices at the FIBA WC. It’s a difficult atmosphere, almost beyond comprehension.

Reaction Score
I don't think it is wise to make a recruiting decision based on a single data point. That said, Tim Fudd's behavior does smack of entitlement, which is worrisome. In addition, it draws the attention to himself rather than to the young women who are giving their all on the court. And it is beyond tacky when the opponent is completely overmatched.

Perhaps he is just clueless and would modify his behavior if called to account. Perhaps Azzi does not have a solipsistic bone in her body. However, even when kids have their heads screwed on straight, as appears to be the case with Lonzo Ball, their parents antics and neediness can negatively affect a team and program. Again, the sample size is much too small to draw any conclusions. However ... .
Correction: "boor" not "boot".

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
As a former high school softball coach (volunteer), I've seen a lot of dads who suffer from either HBS or NWS (has Been Syndrome or Never Was Syndrome) who what to think that somehow they are an important part of the game. I can remember going into the stands and telling one dad, "If you haven't been to a practice, you haven't the right to say anything now. So shut up or leave." some guys just don't get it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
in all seriousness, I have assumed that Clark's Midwest proximity and apparently deep religious beliefs make ND her team of choice.....has ND's status as a religious institution had any effect on ND WBB recruiting in recent years that you are aware of?

From an article on Ogunbowale's commitment:
She made her choice official, selecting Notre Dame over UW, Louisville, Ohio State and UCLA by pulling out a blue and gold ND cap from the podium, to the cheers of her DSHA classmates.
The tipping point, she said, was her desire to attend a Catholic university.
“I’ve gone to religious schools my whole life,” she said. “I went to a Lutheran grade school and a Catholic high school, so I wanted to keep my faith base strong.”

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I’m sorry to say that the guy with the horn sure looks like Azzi’s dad. :(

It is 100% Tim Fudd. This photo was posted by Jess Stafford (Brunelle's HS coach) on twitter and she tagged Mr. Fudd (pictured with horn) in it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. This sort of thing is allowed Europe. In America, you'd last about 15 seconds before an usher or another spectator would rip it out of your hands.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I understand and accept the comments made above.
I will slightly alter my conclusions as yes it's only one data point but a very significant one.
If the Dad pulls the same nonsense again in the next game, after I would hope he got some needed feedback about his behavior, then I would unfortunately pull the plug. If he is willing to put himself before his daughters needs and amazing ability, promise me this is a huge headache Geno, CD, the coaching staff, teammates, families of players and their fans don't need. Even if she's a once in a generation player.
Let's see if someone or anyone can get through to him.
As a social worker and therapist I very much believe in change and growth. I also have observed and dealt with people for fifty years.
This to me is a telling moment !
Bronx23

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I take the opposite view. The more celebrated the player, the greater the potential for dysfunction. No one would care if the father of the last player off the Los Angeles Lakers bench was a boot.

Don't think you have to worry about dysfunction with Azzi Fudd. Her dad's a big personality and very involved in her career. I assume UConn knows all this since they offered her.

Reaction Score
It is 100% Tim Fudd. This photo was posted by Jess Stafford (Brunelle's HS coach) on twitter and she tagged Mr. Fudd (pictured with horn) in it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. This sort of thing is allowed Europe. In America, you'd last about 15 seconds before an usher or another spectator would rip it out of your hands.

If you're ok with it, maybe one needs to see how ND, a wonderful university, women's basketball program, with one of the great coaches views this.
It might just merge another part of this thread about kids and families choosing a religious institution / college. Values, behavior and forgiveness should all be considered as one views ND's continuing interest in Azzi Fudd in light of two games of very disruptive behavior.
I wonder if Geno or MM or coach X would contact Mr. Fudd and ask him about why he would do this? Of course, his reaction would be very telling and worth knowing(although likely will never come out).
I don't plan to chill about this, if it continues. If it does stop, one needs to keep a close eye on it, moving forward in their recruitment of Azzi Fudd.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Don't think you have to worry about dysfunction with Azzi Fudd. Her dad's a big personality and very involved in her career. I assume UConn knows all this since they offered her.
I'm sure they do know!
It seems from all I've read and seen Geno and CD want young women, players and families who are entrusting their daughters to encompass the U Conn values, culture, style of play, etc. I doubt if this Dad is such a big personality and so very involved in his daughters career (and that sure has seemed to be the case) that Geno wants to hear all that likely comes with satisfying your star players Dad for four years.
I think there might well be some more background to this situation but will withhold my speculation as I'd like to see how this plays out!
Bronx23

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't plan to chill about this, if it continues. If it does stop, one needs to keep a close eye on it, moving forward in their recruitment of Azzi Fudd.
Bronx23

It's going to continue.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm sure they do know!
It seems from all I've read and seen Geno and CD want young women, players and families who are entrusting their daughters to encompass the U Conn values, culture, style of play, etc. I doubt if this Dad is such a big personality and so very involved in his daughters career (and that sure has seemed to be the case) that Geno wants to hear all that likely comes with satisfying your star players Dad for four years.
I think there might well be some more background to this situation but will withhold my speculation as I'd like to see how this plays out!
Bronx23
No need to speculate or over react. Tim Fudd has been to a UCONN games before and he knows how to act.
Tim Fudd.jpg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The sound of the horn is very irritating to me also. However, there are fans, including students of the opposing team, who do many different things to try to distract or break the concentration of the opposing team's free throw shooter. Some of those things are screaming, yelling, setting up a curtain behind the opposing team's basket and having someone in a ridiculous outfit come from behind the curtain to cause a distraction. Those are things that have been happening for a long time. Very seldom is it called showing poor sportsmanship in those situations. Saying that, I still find the horn blowing very irritating.

Reaction Score
Thanks all for your comments and responses. Some of them have made me more concerned others less so.
As I put it all together now, yes surely I don't have anywhere near the knowledge of who Tim Fudd is and might be, as Geno and his staff.
On the plus side of the coaching staff if adding these incidents and the comments made after by others here, Mr. Fudd and myself don't concern them, then maybe it will be ok. They have done this many times with thousands of kids and their families and I'm sure have figured it out who they truly want at U Conn.
On the other hand his comment about the giving the kids the support they deserve and they love it is worrisome to me at least.
There was a moment I think it was two or three seasons ago, where U Conn was winning big against some team and either Bent or maybe it was it Pulido hit a big three at the end of the game and the team went crazy. If I remember correctly, Geno's comments and / or reaction afterwards was upset that they were sort of piling on the other teams embarrassment which needed to be balanced with supporting a teammate. Choosing to go to this very noticeable manner of showing support and then saying the kids love it, is concerning. Even great kids, need careful thought before an adult chooses to escalate their support and use pleasing them as a good yardstick.
All said and done, it still concerns me greatly, but I defer to coaches who can incorporate the meaning and importance of this, into their overall and of course, evolving view of Mr. Fudd.
As often I react emotionally to things then hopefully calm down and can consider others opinions and comments. This has and continues to be a lifelong issue I struggle with.
I guess all I'm saying is Azzi Fudd appears to be an enormous talent now as a sophomore in HS, she excels against the best competition in the country and world stage against young women who are two full years older and themselves are very impressive. So of course on that basis anyone would love to have her come to U Conn or to their college. But never at the risk of endangering all of the other wonderful choices, decisions, culture, etc of what's led to this.
Obviously Geno and the staff get paid very well as well as they have built this from the first brick up, so this is just another example of how hard and complicated this work is now!
Bronx23

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm sorry to say that if you are correct (and at the first game of guess the same person had a different but just as annoying horn) I hope that they stop their recruiting of Fudd.
That was and is amongst the most obnoxious behavior I've ever seen. If that's what Dad's modeling for his ultra/talented daughter, she needs to go elsewhere. Once you accept that no matter how great the player is you're starting down a very slippery slope.
There are other extremely talented players in the next three graduating classes that we can survive not having her.
While I'm very dissappointed to let her go now, the sooner the better!
Bronx23
LOL, good one.

Bronx23

Oh, never mind, I had assumed you were trying to be funny.

tenor.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom