U17 World Championships: USA v Mali (7/22/18) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U17 World Championships: USA v Mali (7/22/18)

Reaction Score
Just love the ball in Horston's handles in the open floor. Always the right powerful pass. This time is was 1/2 the length of the court to Paige. BTW Horston has Gabby Williams esqe versatility. Yesterday she led the team in rebounding and today she led the team in assists.

Horston displays great athleticism and a nose for the ball. Unselfish.

Reaction Score
It been that way for two years now. Last year Cooke was actually the starting PG. Lately Carla's rotation at PG has been Fudd as starter, Cooke and then VanLith then Osborne. Cooke has been the most inefficient of the PGs by a wide margin having led the team in TO in the first two games. Van Lith is coming hard but this is her first year on the team. Clark was not fully healthy at the time of the trials. I don't expect to see any changes in the rotation unless these games get significantly more competitive.

Hailey Van Lith is a baller. As with Paige, you can just sense her eyes up court seeking out the next pass (assist). Really impressed with how Paige has been making thing happen.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Defending champs Australia up on Latvia 25-11 at halftime. The Sapphires play tough defense but really struggle to score. Magbegor, Simmons and Shelley are not walking through the door.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Argentina beat Spain 76-67 in OT. Big win for Argentina.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Haley Jones’ mid-range jumper is money. Plays completely under control and runs the floor well. A lot of fun to watch her play.

based on the two games, i see two standouts: jones on one end of the spectrum and cooke the other.

if i was 'management' i'd tell cooke 'no shooting except for wide open layups' and 'only make the most simple passes' or be forever on the bench (and ideally off the team). it would be beneficial to her future in the sport if she were taught that lesson.

boston, fudd, bueckers, very good ... van lith great and like that she's very active all the time, but she's too much into dribbling ... horston shows a lot but seems to be somewhat off her game for now ... taylor impresses with her hustle

Reaction Score
based on the two games, i see two standouts: jones on one end of the spectrum and cooke the other.

if i was 'management' i'd tell cooke 'no shooting except for wide open layups' and 'only make the most simple passes' or be forever on the bench (and ideally off the team). it would be beneficial to her future in the sport if she were taught that lesson.

boston, fudd, bueckers, very good ... van lith great and like that she's very active all the time, but she's too much into dribbling ... horston shows a lot but seems to be somewhat off her game for now ... taylor impresses with her hustle

something tells me Cooke's minutes will be more limited when the USA plays tougher competition

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Australia beat Latvia 60-41. Last week USA beat Latvia 103-38 in the tournament in Latvia.

Canada up on Angola 49-31 in the 4th Qtr.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The offending party is picture here horn in his left hand someone needs to evict him from the stadium. Not very sportsman like because he was blowing the horn during a Mali foul shot attempt.
View attachment 33115
I’m sorry to say that the guy with the horn sure looks like Azzi’s dad. :(

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm sorry to say you may be right and i believe Mom is seated to his left.
r242356_800x450_16-9.jpg

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I just wonder why Cooke is the first back court sub. I would think Carla could see beyond the athleticism and occasional play.
The reason I don't watch men's basketball anymore is I'm not moved / impressed / excited by that type of play or player. Cooke made a play early in the first game that had me "WOWED". Then she forced the next five or six possessions.
I'm clearly not there and know very little about what goes on but if she made the team she'd be at the end of the bench.
Just think I'd prefer to have Caitlin Clark even though she seems similar to Hailey Van Lith.
Bronx23

I'd said pretty much the same thing just at the start of the Italy game. Personally, I think Clark is different than Hailey Van Lith or Cooke...in my mind, she's the more traditional point guard here, playing the field general and keeping the overall machine (team) going. Great pull-up jump and can play at pace, although you really notice her in the half-court. Pin-point passer, to boot.

I am transformed watching Paige and enjoy Hailey Van Lith's moxie, but personally think Clark is a person MM could easily hand the keys to the car to if she's looking for another PG in 2020.

Reaction Score
I'd said pretty much the same thing just at the start of the Italy game. Personally, I think Clark is different than Hailey Van Lith or Cooke...in my mind, she's the more traditional point guard here, playing the field general and keeping the overall machine (team) going. Great pull-up jump and can play at pace, although you really notice her in the half-court. Pin-point passer, to boot.

I am transformed watching Paige and enjoy Hailey Van Lith's moxie, but personally think Clark is a person MM could easily hand the keys to the car to if she's looking for another PG in 2020.

OK........................I think I've said this before............. you can have Clark...................we'll "settle" for the other two

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
uh oh..does that count under Geno's parental misbehavior protocol?.....

Maybe there's one exception to every rule, especially when the offending parent's daughter has superstar written all over her.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry to say that if you are correct (and at the first game of guess the same person had a different but just as annoying horn) I hope that they stop their recruiting of Fudd.
That was and is amongst the most obnoxious behavior I've ever seen. If that's what Dad's modeling for his ultra/talented daughter, she needs to go elsewhere. Once you accept that no matter how great the player is you're starting down a very slippery slope.
There are other extremely talented players in the next three graduating classes that we can survive not having her.
While I'm very dissappointed to let her go now, the sooner the better!
Bronx23

Reaction Score

in all seriousness, I have assumed that Clark's Midwest proximity and apparently deep religious beliefs make ND her team of choice...............has ND's status as a religious institution had any effect on ND WBB recruiting in recent years that you are aware of?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm sorry to say that if you are correct (and at the first game of guess the same person had a different but just as annoying horn) I hope that they stop their recruiting of Fudd.
That was and is amongst the most obnoxious behavior I've ever seen. If that's what Dad's modeling for his ultra/talented daughter, she needs to go elsewhere. Once you accept that no matter how great the player is you're starting down a very slippery slope. There are other extremely talented players in the next three graduating classes that we can survive not having her.
While I'm very dissappointed to let her go now, the sooner the better!
Bronx23
Let me get this right? UCONN should stop recruiting Fudd because of something her father did in Belarus?
shake-my-head-gif-23.gif

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
in all seriousness, I have assumed that Clark's Midwest proximity and apparently deep religious beliefs make ND her team of choice.....has ND's status as a religious institution had any effect on ND WBB recruiting in recent years that you are aware of?

Are you asking from a "religion as a positive inducement?"

If so, I can cite a Class of 2019 commit. Anaya Peoples mentioned it as a reason for her committing to the Irish during her sophomore HS season.

“They were a lot of factors that me and my family talked about,” Peoples said. “The main thing was going to a Christian-based university and that was important to me. Their academic excellence is top-notch and the relationship with the coaches have been amazing and it is a bond that cannot be broken already.

“Another factor is the winning tradition as they are the top three in the nation. Also, the location is not too far from home but not too close either and that was a pretty big factor.”

Katlyn Gilbert went to Heritage Christian in Indianapolis but I have not found her focusing on religion as a specific reason.

Peoples and Gilbert are long-time AAU teammates, although Gilbert is year ahead of Peoples. Anaya has said that Gilbert was quite consistent in her talk about ND with Peoples, so that could be one instance where being friends had a positive influence.

Numerous soccer players have cited the fact that ND is a faith-based school as being a positive in helping them make a decision.

Reaction Score
Are you asking from a "religion as a positive inducement?"

If so, I can cite a Class of 2019 commit. Anaya Peoples mentioned it as a reason for her committing to the Irish during her sophomore HS season..

yes a positive influence...........I'm amazed by the number of top recruits that quote bible verse in their social media...........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom