U17 World Championships: USA v Mali (7/22/18) | The Boneyard

U17 World Championships: USA v Mali (7/22/18)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The few opening USA possessions were just beautiful basketball!
Then Carla sub's in Cooke and immediate TO!

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Belibi running the floor and finishing really well 3 baskets so far.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The beeping horn should be banned permanently. How utterly annoying.
The offending party is picture here horn in his left hand someone needs to evict him from the stadium. Not very sportsman like because he was blowing the horn during a Mali foul shot attempt.
upload_2018-7-22_9-10-5.png

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Fudd leads with 14 points (4/5 on 3s) while Boston and Belibi chipped in 9 points each.

21 assists on 25 baskets.

Mali is not good.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
USA not sharp coming out of the break. 4 straight empty trips down the court.
Make that 6.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Samantha Brunelle getting some nice things done on the floor now.
5 straight productive touches:
  1. Assist to Taylor.
  2. Defensive rebound
  3. Made baseline jumper.
  4. Assist to Belibi.
  5. Made wing three ball.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Nice passing by the 2nd unit in the 3rd quarter: Brunelle to Taylor (one more around the three-point line) and to Belibi (inside lane); and, Taylor to Brunelle for a weak-side jumper. Sam then nailed a three.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just love the ball in Horston's handles in the open floor. Always the right powerful pass. This time is was 1/2 the length of the court to Paige. BTW Horston has Gabby Williams esqe versatility. Yesterday she led the team in rebounding and today she led the team in assists.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Samantha Brunelle getting some nice things done on the floor now.
5 straight productive touches:
  1. Assist to Taylor.
  2. Defensive rebound
  3. Made baseline jumper.
  4. Assist to Belibi.
  5. Made wing three ball.

I'm sure they're having fun now too!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Didn't watch the game, but two concerns stand out from the box score to me beyond the turnovers - 10 missed foul shots and 18 personal fouls. USA teams quite often have a problem with adjusting to international refs (allow more body contact but call more hand/arm fouls.) and if games get tight it can become an issue.
The PF was much improved today against Mali. US had only 7 total. The foul shooting continues to be an issue USA was only 5 for 12 at the line in this game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Just love the ball in Horston's hands in the open floor. Always the right powerful pass. This time is was 1/2 the length of the court to Paige. BTW Horston has Gabby Williams esqe versatility. Yesterday she led the team in rebounding and today she led the team in assists.

It's funny, I was thinking of Gabby while watching her play too. Head always up. This kid loves passing the ball. With Horston and Jones you have a team that can run the break the with the PF having the ball in her hand. That's very familiar.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It's funny, I was thinking of Gabby while watching her play too. Head always up. This kid loves passing the ball. With Horston and Jones you have a team that can run the break the PF having the ball in her hand. That's very familiar.

That would be a great get for UConn to have her come to Storrs and be anywhere near Gabby's productivity. As I've mentioned here many times, the player I was most aware of when the Huskies played the Irish over the last few years was Gabby. Whatever it took, she did. And then some....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I once sounded the horn on how I wanted SB in Storrs. Not so much anymore. Not impressed with her production at this level. Maybe she was a big fish in a little pond. Thoughts?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I once sounded the horn on how I wanted SB in Storrs. Not so much anymore. Not impressed with her production at this level. Maybe she was a big fish in a little pond. Thoughts?
She was the biggest fish in the pond two years ago and remains a big fish today. Since then quite a few lesser fish named Jones, Jackson, Horston, Amihere & Boston , may have surpassed her. I still think she's going to make a solid player for ND, just think the other player are going to be more dynamic, versatile and impactful players in college.

Reaction Score
Cooke is in. Turnover.
I just wonder why Cooke is the first back court sub. I would think Carla could see beyond the athleticism and occasional play.
The reason I don't watch men's basketball anymore is I'm not moved / impressed / excited by that type of play or player. Cooke made a play early in the first game that had me "WOWED". Then she forced the next five or six possessions.
I'm clearly not there and know very little about what goes on but if she made the team she'd be at the end of the bench.
Just think I'd prefer to have Caitlin Clark even though she seems similar to Hailey Van Lith.
Bronx23

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just wonder why Cooke is the first back court sub. I would think Carla could see beyond the athleticism and occasional play.
The reason I don't watch men's basketball anymore is I'm not moved / impressed / excited by that type of play or player. Cooke made a play early in the first game that had me "WOWED". Then she forced the next five or six possessions.
I'm clearly not there and know very little about what goes on but if she made the team she'd be at the end of the bench.
Just think I'd prefer to have Caitlin Clark even though she seems similar to Hailey Van Lith.
Bronx23
It been that way for two years now. Last year Cooke was actually the starting PG. Lately Carla's rotation at PG has been Fudd as starter, Cooke and then VanLith then Osborne. Cooke has been the most inefficient of the PGs by a wide margin having led the team in TO in the first two games. Van Lith is coming hard but this is her first year on the team. Clark was not fully healthy at the time of the trials. I don't expect to see any changes in the rotation unless these games get significantly more competitive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom