U17 World Championships: USA v Italy (7/21/18) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U17 World Championships: USA v Italy (7/21/18)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Both Brink and Brunelle appear to be struggling in what is essentially mop up duty.

Reaction Score
Only watched the second half and with exceptions of Hailey Van Lith & Bueckers the USA shooting has been crappy. Isn't Brunelle supposed to be a shooter? I have yet to see it. Cooke looks like she needs to be a feature player.
I guess I'll see more teamwork as they play more games but right now the second half looked a lot like playground ball, lots of drives into double teams, lots of flash and lots of missed shots. Then I didn't see Bueckers play much. :)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Bueckers and Jones are the best players on the team, IMO. Horston, Boston, Fudd, and Van Lith are a slight notch below. Osborne's a nice player. Brink's coordination hasn't caught up with her talent yet, but it will.

I also put Taylor in the nice player category. Very solid.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Both Brink and Brunelle appear to be struggling in what is essentially mop up duty.

I think the latter part of your sentence might explain the "struggling."

Neither of the two played in the first half and they were subbing for each other largely in the third and early part of the fourth before being paired with each other at extended garbage time. At that time, drives to the basket were modus operandi and a lot of the passes they got were coming off "oops, I don't have a shot, here's the ball" passes which positioned them under the basket and/or in the middle of an Italian post player.

Not being in the regular rotation for any of these players is one of those "welcome to the world" moments.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What is the latest on Cooke and recruiting? Is she considering Ohio State? She would be a good fit there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Didn't watch the game, but two concerns stand out from the box score to me beyond the turnovers - 10 missed foul shots and 18 personal fouls. USA teams quite often have a problem with adjusting to international refs (allow more body contact but call more hand/arm fouls.) and if games get tight it can become an issue.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Bueckers and Jones are the best players on the team, IMO. Horston, Boston, Fudd, and Van Lith are a slight notch below. Osborne's a nice player. Brink's coordination hasn't caught up with her talent yet, but it will.

I also put Taylor in the nice player category. Very solid.

Yes. I agree. Taylor is very smooth. A pleasure to watch (imho). I think Van Lith is on the same level as Fudd, Bueckers.

Seems impossible to me to seperate them as 1A, 1B, 1C

I would say the same about Jones, Boston and Horston. Nearly impossible to rank. Just enjoy.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Didn't watch the game, but two concerns stand out from the box score to me beyond the turnovers - 10 missed foul shots and 18 personal fouls. USA teams quite often have a problem with adjusting to international refs (allow more body contact but call more hand/arm fouls.) and if games get tight it can become an issue.
The turnovers, I think, are the result of twelve kids who have not played together that long. Plus, Berube is trying to give them all plenty of time. Plus, with the exception of one or two, they are trying to be unselfish. Passes are forced.

The fouls hopefully drop as the tourney goes on but they are so deep that it won't effect them from the personnel standpoint. In addition to the foul shooting woes, they have not, overall, shot that well from three.

I know---they won by 40. The amount of talent is ridiculous.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Now I have to again open up a can of worms. But Brunelle is either hurt, in someones doghouse, or just isn't as good as the players who are getting more minutes than her. Now, things could change as these championships get deeper in, but right now what is, is. What ain't, ain't.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
SB: 0-3, 2 rb’s, 2 A, 3 pf in only 11 minutes of play. Is she injured or under the weather?

I did not really like her body language. She did not seem that excited and intense. I actually thought Brink and Belibi looked and played with more intensity. SB has the outside shot but she needs to bring more

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
What is the latest on Cooke and recruiting? Is she considering Ohio State? She would be a good fit there.

I owe you a beer (phrase used in college when two of us were thinking the same thought or saying the same thing). That exact question and university came to mind when watching her.

Reaction Score
I owe you a beer (phrase used in college when two of us were thinking the same thought or saying the same thing). That exact question and university came to mind when watching her.

so what your saying is that Ohio State is the perfect place to be if you like to dribble and shoot too much and play somewhat questionable defense?..........;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Now I have to again open up a can of worms. But Brunelle is either hurt, in someones doghouse, or just isn't as good as the players who are getting more minutes than her. Now, things could change as these championships get deeper in, but right now what is, is. What ain't, ain't.
I'll try and say it without saying IT. Based on the couple of scrimmages and this game I think Carla has made a decision that this team is going to play at a very fast pace. Given the number of gifted ball handlers on this team (Fudd, Cooke, Bueckers, Taylor, Osborne, Horston, & Van Lith) pushing the pace makes sense. This team is in constant push mode on offense and disrupt/overplay mode on defense. Very rarely do they reset after an offensive rebound they put the o board back up immediately. Jones, Belibi and Boston can keep up so Carla rotation was basically 3 of the pace pushers plus two of ( Jones, Belibi & Boston). If you can't keep up with the pace your not going to have a good opportunity to show your other skills no matter how good those skills might be.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Some impressions on those who stood out and those who didn't. As with most young teams the guards took most of the shots because they have the ball.

Fudd and Jones just have college ready bodies. Both have large, wide lower bodies. An advantage when they post up, and an advantage on defense. There isn't much on the floor that Jones can't do. She has quick feet, a nice stroke from the arc, a good handle. Man do me likey. I was surprised by Horston's athleticism and speed. Sweet crossover, sweet handle. Much likey.

Cooke's offensive skills are terrific, but this game she did little to impress me on that end. She had her issues defensively. Paige is just a baller. She sees the floor, makes the right pass, takes the right shot. She has a slight frame and will need to get way stronger at the next level. Boston showed strength and a nice finesse game, but at the next level she'll need to power through inside once she gets the ball down low.

Hailey Van Lith has such a nice lefty stroke. Lefties have such an advantage since players are very accustomed to shots coming from a right side angle, and players going to the defensive players left. Hailey Van Lith is another with a good, strong looking body. Me likey her very much too. Taylor, although slight looking has great athleticism and a quick release. Brunelle did almost nothing to impress me, except giving up an and one. Osborne looked like a TO waiting to happen. I know Brink played, but her minutes were uneventful except for a putback.

This game has changed none of my opinions, merely reinforced them. Jones, Bueckers, Fudd, Horston, Hailey Van Lith, Boston. Want them all at Storrs.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'll try and say it without saying IT. Based on the couple of scrimmages and this game I think Carla has made a decision that this team is going to play at a very fast pace. Given the number of gifted ball handlers on this team (Fudd, Cooke, Bueckers, Taylor, Osborne, Horston, & Van Lith) pushing the pace makes sense. This team is in constant push mode on offense and disrupt/overplay mode on defense. Very rarely do they reset after an offensive rebound they put the o board back up immediately. Jones, Belibi and Boston can keep up so Carla rotation was basically 3 of the pace pushers plus two of ( Jones, Belibi & Boston). If you can't keep up with the pace your not going to have a good opportunity to show your other skills no matter how good those skills might be.

Emphasis added.

JordyG

Reaction Score
On the money. And there you have it.

Reaction Score
This was the first time I saw many of these highly touted players and of course then it's a one game sample.
Of course Jones, Bueckers, Fudd and Boston stood out and were everything I heard and read about.
From my reading and a few short individual highlight reels, I just love Hailey Van Lith. She has it all! A true point guard who also can shoot and get her own shot but first looks to create for her teammates. I sure hope Geno is going after her hard. I really liked the game Bellini, Taylor & Osborne had.
While Ive read amazing things about Horston didn't see much of anything from her today. With so much talent and the PT being spread around that easily can happen for a game or three.
Brunelle and Brink didn't show that much but are amongst the last off the bench. Brunelle doesn't seem to be what many if not most said in the last year, and maybe that's why U Conn backed off, although we may never really know.
Cooke made one phenomenal play but mostly was a hog and out of control. One of those players with great athletic ability, huge upside and lots of errors to go with it.
Don't know if I missed commenting on anyone individually.
This is a phenomenally talented group but way, way too much dribbling and forcing of the play offensively. Of course, they haven practiced or played together much. But here's just an example of what I saw just comparing two players, who coming in weren't givens as to significant playing time.
Hailey Van Lith who in the last year or so, stock has risen considerably and anyone can see why. She plays under control, moved the ball, passes both to create movement and to create teammates shots and shoots pretty darn well. All over the court defensively and trying to box out and rebound. On the other hand Zia Cooke must have shot herself four to six straight possessions or passed
reluctantly or too late. Yes she's trying to get more PT, but doubt that will earn her such.
Excited to see more of them.
Im not sure the many comments about Bueckers and Fudd following Brunelle to ND mean much of anything. If we truly can't get those two potentially greats then we need Jones, Boston, Hailey Van Lith and maybe a Horston or Griffin, and we'd be just fine.
Bronx23

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Just because Brink can't keep up with the desired pace, I don't think her skills can be ignored. She is lanky and still waiting for her coordination to match her size. She has great hands, a nice touch and oh yeah, just finishing her sophomore year. She has two years to get stronger and become a post presence. She is, no doubt in my mind, a top 5 2020 kid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom