U17 Team Announced | The Boneyard

U17 Team Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
congrats to Harper, McCall and 2014 Turner (UCONN targets) as well as the rest of the team. any surprise cuts? Sort of surprised Jannah Tucker and Courtney Ekmark didn't make the team, altho Courtney is from 2014...

Reaction Score
Cooper, Drummer, Gray, Mavunga, Tucker, & White all added to the U18 Trails roster. So they're not done. Yet.

Reaction Score
Which "evaluators"? I don't respect what they have to say usually, and I don't pay any attention to Flynn... anyone else?

I don't know Flynn but is he just wrong a lot, biased, or what? In regards to why you don't pay attention.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I don't know Flynn but is he just wrong a lot, biased, or what? In regards to why you don't pay attention.

I think he just too full of himself. Also very biased toward kids in his AAU programs vs. kids in other AAU programs, as evidenced by his ranking of Sue Bird around #20 in HS, just because she was not in his program. I have zero respect for him.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz, BlueStar Reports (Mike Flynn) and even Kenny Kalina have competing agendas to make college coaches and others believe they are the most creditable when evaluating HS players. This causes turf wars.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Cooper, Drummer, Gray, Mavunga, Tucker, & White all added to the U18 Trails roster. So they're not done. Yet.
If they didn't make the U17 team, do they have a shot at U18?

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I am curious and wonder if anyone knows the answer:
Why do kids try out for teams older than they are, i.e. Sonya Chong? Why not try out for a team more age appropriate? I understand you have to be invited, but why are some kids invited to trials that matches their age and others to older ages? DD is a good example of this, too. Her last two years she has been on U18 and U 17 teams. This is the first year she tried out for , and made, the roster with her age appropriate peers.

Thoughts?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Why do kids try out for teams older than they are, i.e. Sonya Chong? Why not try out for a team more age appropriate? I understand you have to be invited, but why are some kids invited to trials that matches their age and others to older ages? DD is a good example of this, too. Her last two years she has been on U18 and U 17 teams. This is the first year she tried out for , and made, the roster with her age appropriate peers.

Thoughts?

Chong is probably too old for U17 team. DD was slotted by USA Basketball in prior years in older teams, presumably because she was thought to be good enough. This year, the U17 team will have tougher competition in Europe, so she is needed there, as I have read somewhere.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
Saniya was too old for the U17 team.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?

It has to do with which youth team is participating in the more important event. A world championship will typically draw the best players who are eligible for that team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If they didn't make the U17 team, do they have a shot at U18?

Tucker, Cooper and Gray all made the U18 team. It looks like this was more about getting them to the next level of talent than not wanting them on the U17 team.

Reaction Score
Tucker, Cooper and Gray all made the U18 team. It looks like this was more about getting them to the next level of talent than not wanting them on the U17 team.

It was about them not making the U17 team (No. 1 priority this summer), but being able to make the U18 team (No. 2 priority this summer).

They were not moved up because they were better -- at least, in the minds of the powers that be at USA Basketball -- than the girls who will be playing U17 this summer.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I wonder how Chong did against the competition! I'm sure it was a great experience for her! I hope we get some report on how she did!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Didn't Sierra Calhoun participate? I'm a bit surprised she didn't make the 17U team.

JS

Reaction Score
It has to do with which youth team is participating in the more important event. A world championship will typically draw the best players who are eligible for that team.
To elaborate, U17 gets to play against the best European teams in a world championship format. U18 will be a PanAmerican cycle in which USA should romp.

So for those good enough and of the right age to make either team, the more attractive option is U17. And the flip side of that preference is, for those younger players who fail to crack the more desirable U17 field but still have outstanding talent, they may get a second chance with a try-out for U18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom