U17 Semi-Finals USA vs Australia 10 AM | The Boneyard

U17 Semi-Finals USA vs Australia 10 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Italy beat China 62-51 and are n the Gold Medal Game.

Direct Link:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Direct Link:

This link should work. don't know what happened to previous link

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Australia leads USA 16-13 end of 1st qtr. Australia did have a 9 point lead and USA scored last points of quarter.

Australia does look like the better TEAM. USA silly TO's and individual play.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Who are the UConn targets on the team?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA playing poor help defense and on their transition plays aren't passing to wide open players. Relying on Individual Play.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA trails 36-27 at the half. USA shooting 27% and 0-5 on 3 point shots. Australia playing better team ball.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA trails 59-46 end of 3rd quarter. IMHO they don't play good enough defense or offense to comeback from this deficit. Australia is the much better TEAM and they have made 5 of 10 3 point shots. USA 1 of 8 on 3 point shots. USA with 15 TO's, but it has to be more then that.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
USA getting hammered...

Reaction Score
The Aussies are clearly a better team. Dribble drive, pass, cut - you name it, they have it. Is Brunelle and Collier that bad that they don't get significant minutes? I know they are the young ones on the team, but GEESH.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
USA started the second half really well and succeeded in getting the fourth foul on the Australian starting center and then they just completely collapsed - lots of turnovers, and Williams having her worst game. So ... I would say the selection of the under 16 team last year and the selection of the under 17 this year are not likely to be the problem - personally I put it down to the coaching. And probably to the changing nature of the international scene. As the world becomes more competitive it isn't surprising that you see it at the youngest level first. I think the USA college system keeps the older groups further ahead - there is better coaching and competition and a ton more 'places' in the USA college system than anywhere else in the world, but you are seeing more international players taking advantage of that as well.
The USA AAU circuit is probably undermining the training at the younger ages as they play all those games but don't practice much - college coaches complain, and maybe it is showing now in the international competitions.
NB - given the performance this year, I would suggest that USA might have been better off keeping a lot more of the U16 team on this team - they at least had experience playing internationally and with the coaching staff so they might have been a little less 'confused'. They played one bad semi-final game in 2015, and this team is playing a bad semi this year, though I would say they have looked a little worse leading up to this game than the 2015 team looked.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA loses 73-60 and the game wasn't close. Australia is the better TEAM. Not sure if they had the best talent. USA in 4th quarter did not use any full court pressure to try to get back into the game. IMHO the biggest weakness of this team was they didn't have a TRUE PG that could lead this team. Consistently relied on their individual talent to win games.

USA 1-14 on 3 point shooting and 13 -22 on Free Throws
AUS. 6-13 on 3 point shooting and 13 of 17 on Free Throws

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just one other note - bench points: AUS 24, USA 13 - USA biggest strength has always been depth of talent, they could run hard all the time because there were always five equally talented players on the bench to spell them, and their opponents didn't have that luxury.

Reaction Score
Is anyone truly shocked by this? The team was clearly full of amazing athletes who can't shoot strait. It could be an issue of coaching and lack of time together but clearly if the US wants to keep it's superiority in basketball, changes need to be made (better coaches, identifying talents and having them train together in some kind of sports academy, etc).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Bummed for the kids but at least they get to play in the Bronze medal game. A lesson to the coaches and USNT - even if you only have a few weeks to practice together, Team USA is NOT an individual all star event.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've avoided writing anything about this team until now. However. From the first minute of the first game the US team lacked good guard play, and good team play starts at the guard position. With the exception of Williams the guards lacked the ability to find open players cutting to the basket and on the perimeter. They lacked the ability to find bigs in the lane and/or deliver the ball to them in the position and in the manner they needed. All of the bigs showed poor footwork inside on offense and defense. The bigs failed to finish once they had the ball in position and failed to consistently box out. Most of the team failed to efficiently mark their opponent, allowing the opposition to consistently cut in front of them. Perimeter shooting was awful, especially by the bigs. Some of the bigs were so atrocious at the line I had to turn away each time the whistle blew.

USA started the second half really well and succeeded in getting the fourth foul on the Australian starting center and then they just completely collapsed - lots of turnovers, and Williams having her worst game. So ... I would say the selection of the under 16 team last year and the selection of the under 17 this year are not likely to be the problem - personally I put it down to the coaching. And probably to the changing nature of the international scene. As the world becomes more competitive it isn't surprising that you see it at the youngest level first. I think the USA college system keeps the older groups further ahead - there is better coaching and competition and a ton more 'places' in the USA college system than anywhere else in the world, but you are seeing more international players taking advantage of that as well.
The USA AAU circuit is probably undermining the training at the younger ages as they play all those games but don't practice much - college coaches complain, and maybe it is showing now in the international competitions.
NB - given the performance this year, I would suggest that USA might have been better off keeping a lot more of the U16 team on this team - they at least had experience playing internationally and with the coaching staff so they might have been a little less 'confused'. They played one bad semi-final game in 2015, and this team is playing a bad semi this year, though I would say they have looked a little worse leading up to this game than the 2015 team looked.

Can any analysis of this team be any more on the money?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Remember when Geno lost coaching a US National team?

Not sure what all the doom and gloom is. College is where these kids learn to play as a team - USA Unders are a luxury to give kids experience and preps 'em for the "important" games: Worlds and Olympics.

Reaction Score
USA loses 73-60 and the game wasn't close. Australia is the better TEAM. Not sure if they had the best talent. USA in 4th quarter did not use any full court pressure to try to get back into the game. IMHO the biggest weakness of this team was they didn't have a TRUE PG that could lead this team. Consistently relied on their individual talent to win games.

USA 1-14 on 3 point shooting and 13 -22 on Free Throws
AUS. 6-13 on 3 point shooting and 13 of 17 on Free Throws
I don't see the superior US talent. Shooting is a talent and the US can't shoot. But I can see that they spend a lot of time practicing putting the ball between their legs. Also, passing is a talent and they can't pass either.

Reaction Score
This team could IMO use AEH who is actually a shooter who can hit shots from 3 and this seemed to be a weakness on this team.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I agree with several of the posts here. Shooting and guard play were definitely weaknesses... Williams was a bright spot (at times), but our guard play was pretty poor throughout the tournament. Careless turnovers, i mean ridiculously careless. At times I wondered if some of our players needed glasses.

I still think the USA is the more talented team though. They just don't know how to play together and Australia was too good of a TEAM for individual talent to take over the game. The US college system is where we separate ourselves... we're pretty even with the rest of the world during the U-whatever levels.. but once these players reach college their talent really shows (which is why so many international players now want to play college ball in the USA, that's where the talent separation begins), they get superb coaching and learn how to properly practice from coaches that are usually former college players (and sometimes olympians) themselves. That's when you see the fruits of the labor and our women's national team beats the next best team by 20 points.

6 or 7 years from now.. if these same two teams played one another I can almost guarantee the USA wins by 10-15 points.. most likely more.

Reaction Score
I agree with several of the posts here. Shooting and guard play were definitely weaknesses... Williams was a bright spot (at times), but our guard play was pretty poor throughout the tournament. Careless turnovers, i mean ridiculously careless. At times I wondered if some of our players needed glasses.

I still think the USA is the more talented team though. They just don't know how to play together and Australia was too good of a TEAM for individual talent to take over the game. The US college system is where we separate ourselves... we're pretty even with the rest of the world during the U-whatever levels.. but once these players reach college their talent really shows (which is why so many international players now want to play college ball in the USA, that's where the talent separation begins), they get superb coaching and learn how to properly practice from coaches that are usually former college players (and sometimes olympians) themselves. That's when you see the fruits of the labor and our women's national team beats the next best team by 20 points.

6 or 7 years from now.. if these same two teams played one another I can almost guarantee the USA wins by 10-15 points.. most likely more.

I disagree with your assertion about international players wanting to play at U.S. colleges. The second line players certainly want to do that, but the truly elite players stay in or go to Europe and play professionally. Duke just lost its freshman point guard, who went back to Spain to start her professional career and the two very highly ranked Italian and Russian teenagers last year didn't even entertain the possibility of playing in the U.S.

Not to belabor the point, but the top Euro professionals don't play in the WNBA anymore; it has become an almost exclusively American league. The U.S. really desperately needs to start a club system based on the European model; U.S. soccer has been doing this for years and it has resulted in much more competitive teams. The club system in Europe is actually very similar to the minor league baseball system in the U.S., with the top teams sponsoring the lower levels; the difference is that they start much younger.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't see the superior US talent. Shooting is a talent and the US can't shoot. But I can see that they spend a lot of time practicing putting the ball between their legs. Also, passing is a talent and they can't pass either.

This late (last 10-years mania) of dribbling back and forth and between your legs is a skill with little or no use to a player.
Rarely if ever encountered at UConn (does Geno ban it?).
There are far more serious aspects of the game that one can devote oneself to.
Right on Bobby.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is anyone truly shocked by this?
No.
Agree with all your observations. I'm just going to be a little more Blunt: USA talent is overwhelming. All the other teams seem better organized -offensively, defensively & with substitution. The overwhelming talent will probably prevail but I would be surprised if it doesn't.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Wasn't the U17 team the one that got all new players (or 10/12)? I could be mistaking. It could have been the U18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom