U17 Gold Medal Game: US defeats Spain 77-75 (merged) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

U17 Gold Medal Game: US defeats Spain 77-75 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
With all due respect,No you gage going head to head with another big girl.That type game ONLY GIVES A BALL PARK IDEA.The TRUE test is BIG ON BIG.And being old I have seen more basketball (boys and girls) than the other gentleman to this point in his life. And a am fully confident withthat statement.Now I am not going on and on with you .Finished.You ask Geno what he thinks.When he attends these games ,he tries to see the player against other GOOD BIG players to get the proper gage.NOT against the POOR SMALL OR SLOW. teams and poor players.Your buddy Slu and you think about it the last sentence.And I am NOT SAYING the team she played is poor but MATCH UP WAS NOT THERE in the game.THE MATCH UP WAS NOT IN THAT GAME.ByBy Got to head out to Starbucks with my boy,Westy.

You are not the only old guy on this board. I am 82 today (honest!) and I am from the heart (and soul) of Western Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh. A true Yinzer!

I think I have probably watched as much basketball as you and I guarantee I have had more people on this board disagree with my opinions than you have. Also been deleted more often. You can't imagine how often I have had to post "I concede the point" when proven wrong.

But I take it all in stride and I enjoy the Boneyard immensely. I suggest you relax, knock down an Iron City Beer, and enjoy yourself. And keep posting!

Good luck.

Last edited:

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
You are not the only old guy on this board. I am 82 today (honest!) and I am from the heart (and soul) of Western Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh. A true Yinzer!

I think I have probably watched as much basketball as you and I guarantee I have had more people on this board disagree with my opinions than you have. Also been deleted more often. You can't imagine how often I have had to post "I concede the point" when proven wrong.

But I take it all in stride and I enjoy the Boneyard immensely. I suggest you relax, knock down an Iron City Beer, and enjoy yourself. And keep posting!

Good luck.

Happy Birthday Kib..!!!
You may have to "concede" on occasion, but you get extra credit for finding a talented Canadian nurse (Mrs. Kib) way before Geno ever did...;)

Reaction Score
I like Lauren Cox. I do not want to offend anyone, but she must be a decent player just by her rankings.
Every scouting service I have seen has her at # 1 or # 2. I know you can't tell how good she will be in college, but some of these services have very capable people judging talent. I have said this before, she is as fundamentally sound as any pure posts I have seen recently.

I do not believe you should compare players in different years, although we all love to do so. I don't see how you can compare players who play different positions. One might be a TRUE back to the basket center, and one may be a power forward who roams a little bit.

I personally would offer Lauren Cox right now. I don't know if Geno has offered yet, but I bet he likes what he sees.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Good luck.

You da best Kib - Happy Happy birthday!!! <3

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
That's baloney. You can tell if someone is a player. I'll go way back to when I was in high school when our team played against Mike Gminski. He was 6'10' or so and our center was 6' 2". He scored over 40 points and didn't miss more than a couple shots. Yeah, he was dominant size-wise. Even so you tell that the guy was freakin' good.
Not trying to make any point, but although Mike Gminski's Masuk High School beat every team in it's league, they were unable to win a state title in any of the three years that Mike was there. ( He graduated early.) I believe they usually bowed out early in the state tourney, but not sure about that.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Wow great to know another from Pitt.How did you get involved with UCONN girls team.You a Grad from there?

After concluding my Army career (then two years in Saudi Arabia, where I met my wife), I came to Connecticut to live, work, then retire again. Once I spotted those teams coached by Geno, I was hooked. Then I discovered the Boneyard and it's been Nirvana ever since.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
After concluding my Army career (then two years in Saudi Arabia, where I met my wife), I came to Connecticut to live, work, then retire again. Once I spotted those teams coached by Geno, I was hooked. Then I discovered the Boneyard and it's been Nirvana ever since.

Nirvana? Seriously? :p

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
wallman said:
WPF does have a point, if I watch a kid I am looking for better competition, like against like. But of course everyone has their own opinion.
While it would be nice to see her compete against another great 6-4,6-5 player, there really aren't that many out there.

And 1) she just competed against/with some of the best U17 in the world
2) even in games where the talent level is much lower, people who really know basketball (I.e. Not just "old" and been around forever) can still evaluate talent. People who really know what they are looking for can see talent. They are not just looking at stats.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kibitzer said:
Ok Kibs, Talk about laying off the beer. Nirvana ? Hmm never thought of like that. (Although I have thought of shooting myself on the head many times. ) (oh no he didn')

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
While it would be nice to see her compete against another great 6-4,6-5 player, there really aren't that many out there.

And 1) she just competed against/with some of the best U17 in the world
2) even in games where the talent level is much lower, people who really know basketball (I.e. Not just "old" and been around forever) can still evaluate talent. People who really know what they are looking for can see talent. They are not just looking at stats.

You are correct also IMO, so I went back and looked at the games both exhibition and tournament where she played against those players. But all the games prior to the final game she was 22 of 67 thats 32%. So thats 9 games against that competition and 1 game 8 for 14. So I do have to concede something to WPF.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
WPF does have a point, if I watch a kid I am looking for better competition, like against like. But of course everyone has their own opinion.

Wallman, it was the Boo Williams EYBL tourney. The competition was first rate. If you're looking for Cox to be matched up against other premium 6-4 girls, well, there's Tori McCoy and that's pretty much it. She's rarely going to face tall talents that are similar to her to so there's no point waiting for it to happen.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
As long as you can still inhale and exhale there is still hope.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Wow this is getting confusing, China, France etc etc had some pretty good height, they were the games I was referring to.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Happy Birthday Kibs, y'ol coot!! I am really glad you posted that; I thought I was the oldest coot on the board.

Reaction Score

Good luck.

Happy Birthday Kib! At 68 I guess I'm a youngster compared to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom