U16 FIBA Championship | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U16 FIBA Championship

Reaction Score
This wasn't a game. I wouldn't even call it a practice. I put these types of games in my..."not much to see here" pile. It's the same pile I put the player hype videos where everyone looks like Michael and Kobe. Oh...and Globetrotter highlights are here too. lol

Reaction Score
Cassandre Prosper from Canada is really impressive. She’s got great length and athleticism, and she uses it well.

I’d assume a lot of high major schools will express interest in her.
I'm really keen on her from what I've seen since she was 13/14. I've heard there has been interest but the family keeps it private. I don't believe she's on social media either.

I'm hopeful that the OSBA league will have a season. She's listed on the roster of Capital Courts in Ottawa. They're the same program which developed Merissah Russell. I am also a big fan of the coach, who is also assisting the U16 squad, Fabienne Blizzard. Has been very successful in Canada. I hope she gets a chance to coach internationally.

Reaction Score
My point was not the overall % of team shots, it was individually (Her 20 shots vs 7 shots for the next highest player(s))
Okay, then maybe it's the phrasing. My brain went to division because you noted 2/3.

I interpreted as percentage out of total shots for the team. Either way, she does shoot the most out of the whole team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't understand why people are so quick to label Watkins as a ball hog. Yes she may like to have the ball in her hand... but she is what, 15? 16? Obviously if she comes to UConn, Auriemma will set her straight. Players only become ball hogs if the coaches allow it.

Also, Chile was not a strong opponent. Like may have said, it's hard to get a read on players until they play stronger opponents.
I don't understand why people so quickly and easily mischaracterize what is being said here. I'm well aware how old Watkins is ( she 16 BTW) and don't remember anyone calling her a ball hog. The assessment was based on "fit for UCONN". Players that "like" to have the ball in their hands or "need" to have the ball in their hands to be effective are not a good fit for UCONN. Are you disagreeing that Watkins it that type of player?
Captain Obvious GIF by memecandy

Reaction Score
More of the same. USA vs Argentina, 32-4 after 1st quarter. I guess we'll have to wait for the Canada game to see any competition.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Williams and Watson play extremely well together.

Cambridge continues to impress.

Dudley does a lot well as the youngest on the roster.

Olson does many things well too.

Booker shows real versatility but her shot needs some work.

Been impressed with Jaydan Donovan too.

Reaction Score
Juju actually had quite a well-rounded game tonight. She led the team in scoring but decently down the list in re: to shots attempted. Also, lead in fg %, steals, blocks, +\-, and efficiency. And pretty much up there in rebounds and assists. What nobody has really discussed is the energy and thought she puts into difference. Obviously competition is on the lower end, but she really has developed a well-rounded game beyond just the ability and desire to score.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Williams and Watson play extremely well together.
Olson does many things well too.
I'm assuming you mean Watkins & I've been predicting for a while that Watkins would end up staying home @ UCLA. If she does that would be quite the backcourt for UCLA and possibly give Cori another #1 recruiting class to squander.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My point was not the overall % of team shots, it was individually (Her 20 shots vs 7 shots for the next highest player(s))
Reading is fundamental! ;)

Reaction Score
Juju actually had quite a well-rounded game tonight. She led the team in scoring but decently down the list in re: to shots attempted. Also, lead in fg %, steals, blocks, +\-, and efficiency. And pretty much up there in rebounds and assists. What nobody has really discussed is the energy and thought she puts into difference. Obviously competition is on the lower end, but she really has developed a well-rounded game beyond just the ability and desire to score.
Meant thought and energy put into *defense (not difference :) )

Reaction Score
The USA plays Costa Rica today at 12:30 pm.
Costa Rica might have the weakest team in the tournament. They lost to Canada by 87 points. We'll see if the USA coaches decide to apply a full court press for the entire first half, like they have in their previous games.
I'm curious what the opinions are here on The Boneyard.
Should the USA apply a full court press, for an entire half or more, against a hopelessly outclassed opponent ?
Or do you think it would be patronizing to not play the most effective strategy ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interestingly, according to the boxscore, Cambridge and Arnold haven't played in the first half.
I don't remember seeing them in the game either. Injured ?
Semi finals Satuday, finals on Sunday.

Reaction Score
The USA plays Costa Rica today at 12:30 pm.
Costa Rica might have the weakest team in the tournament. They lost to Canada by 87 points. We'll see if the USA coaches decide to apply a full court press for the entire first half, like they have in their previous games.
I'm curious what the opinions are here on The Boneyard.
Should the USA apply a full court press, for an entire half or more, against a hopelessly outclassed opponent ?
Or do you think it would be patronizing to not play the most effective strategy ?

The full court press is dominant at this age of play. I would have been more interested to see half court basketball to be able to evaluate the players and see who is better and what they bring.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
None of these games really interest me. The kids are too young, they don't play team basketball, its just a chance for kids to try to outdo their teammates as well as their opponents. When they get to be juniors in HS, thats when the interest peaks. Really hard to watch.

Reaction Score
Looking at the stats, she had 20 shot attempts while being on the court for less than 20 minutes. That will give people the impression she's a "get my shot" type of player.

I agree that Chile is not a strong opponent, however this seems to be her style of play. I've watched during the EYBL championships and she seemed to be the primary person with the ball. Ball hog? I didn't take it that way, however others may see it differently.

That estimate seems a little high. For this game, it looks to be about 20% (20 out of the 93 shots taken).
What was her shooting percentage, where her shots in the flow of the game, and was she forcing her shots. Nobody should care how many shots you take if they go in.

Reaction Score
What was her shooting percentage, where her shots in the flow of the game, and was she forcing her shots. Nobody should care how many shots you take if they go in.
My response was to someone who noted she was shooting two thirds of the teams shots. I saw the numbers differently. Regarding her shooting percentage, flow, etc., I can't speak to that.

I do disagree with your premise that nobody should care about number of shots. Balanced scoring has its advantages. If her shot attempts were majority of the team's attempts, I'd be concerned. In this case, it doesn't look to be the case because she took 20% of the shot attempts. It seems balanced if you look at the percentage from that perspective.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interestingly, according to the boxscore, Cambridge and Arnold haven't played in the first half.
I don't remember seeing them in the game either. Injured ?
Semi finals Satuday, finals on Sunday.
Arnold left the last game with a leg injury.
Not much of a game! USA and Canada are the two teams completely dominating the competition and USA has scored almost 60 pts more and given up 30 less.
66-8 at the half. Those who took Costa Rica and 100 are sweating it out !
And they would have lost their bet USA minus 108 was a winner!

Reaction Score
I'm watching USA vs Mexico in the semi final. To me, Cunningham is the outstanding player so far.
She's easily the best big in the tournament, and it's not close.
Other players have played well but haven't stood out as much, among their peers, as Cunningham has.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The US edged Mexico 121-30 in the semifinal Saturday. Thought Watkins, Williams, Olson, Donovan, and Cunningham were the best players though the latter went 2-10 from the foul line. Booker was really good too. Just about everyone contributed.

Title game against Canada Sunday night.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Some assist to turnover ratios for the US team with one game left:

Williams: 23 A, 2 TO

Watkins: 21 A, 4 TO

Olson: 14 A, 2 TO

Booker: 13 A, 5 TO

Arnold: 8 A, 8 TO

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Canada has been dominant in their group play and in the Medal Rounds. Do they have a chance against Team USA?

Reaction Score
Canada has been dominant in their group play and in the Medal Rounds. Do they have a chance against Team USA?
A chance, yes. Will they win ? Probably not. Not enough height for team Canada. They'll get beat on the boards.
I expect Cunningham to lead the way to a USA win.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I believe this is a good indication of USA and Canada:
USA points for (5 games) 600, points against 144 MOV 456 (have scored 4.17X more that opponents)
Canada: 446 , 203, MOV 243 (2.2X opponents)

Canada has played defense in the same way as USA - lots of full court pressure. USA has played better and more consistent offense.

Reaction Score
A chance, yes. Will they win ? Probably not. Not enough height for team Canada. They'll get beat on the boards.
I expect Cunningham to lead the way to a USA win.
I am interested in seeing how the Canadian team fares against the US. For majority of these players, this will be the toughest competition they've faced so far to date.

How they handle the pressure and respond is what I'll be focused on. They haven't faced adversity and for a lot of these players, it's their first real competition in well over 16 months. It will be a big learning experience regardless of the end result.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom