U dont want UConn in your bracket | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U dont want UConn in your bracket

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Then NCAAs are going to be very competitive. There are alot of very good teams. I like our chances alot.. We have a aircraft carrier in the middle, some long range missle launchers from the outside, a couple of very good guards, some very good ball handlers, terrific passing and so do some other teams but I like us better.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I said we would get lulled into thinking we are invincible by beating up on the AAC and it's happening.

If I was South Carolina I would LOVE if UConn was the 2 seed in my bracket. Are you kidding? We scored two (2) points on them in the first quarter. TWO. That was extremely recently. And then we go back to playing the AAC and we are miraculously "peaking" now. Duhh?

I know - Debbie Downer. Actually I'm very optimistic. I'm not concerned about getting into the FW region - that just means we only have to beat 2 of the 3 great teams instead of all 3. Whatever - bring it!

Just got off the phone with Alan Greenspan. He muttered something about "irrational exuberance" and hung up.

Reaction Score
Louisville has 3 losses - #17 FSU by 8, Syr by 8 and OSU by 7. Are their losses better than ours?

No, you guys lost to three great teams. We lost to three pretty good teams, with one loss at home.

I'll trot out the excuses that folks here in Louisville make for those losses (loss at Ohio State immediately followed the three games in the Virgin Islands, with a travel delay thrown in; losses to Florida State and at Syracuse were without Balogun) but bottom line is, we lost those games because in all three games we shot under 40% overall and under 33% from outside. This team, like most, needs to shoot well to win.

Our best wins (Oregon at neutral site, at Kentucky and at North Carolina State) are all better than your best win (at DePaul).

You guys are playing lots better recently but that's hard for me to gauge based on the level of competition. That win at Cincinnati was definitely impressive.

Reaction Score
Then NCAAs are going to be very competitive. There are alot of very good teams. I like our chances alot.. We have a aircraft carrier in the middle, some long range missle launchers from the outside, a couple of very good guards, some very good ball handlers, terrific passing and so do some other teams but I like us better.
Agree the NCAAs are going to be very competitive. I like our chances too. But c'mon... We do not have an aircraft carrier in the middle. That's part of the problem. Kalani Brown was is an aircraft carrier. Teaira McCowan was is an aircraft carrier. Liv is not in that same size & bulk class. We'll have to do it a different way.

Reaction Score
Here we go again. Yes, UConn is playing better than they were than in the beginning of the season. More like a team. But, if you think that UConn is in the same class as Baylor, SC, and Oregon, you may be coming to the wrong conclusion. The three teams that I mentioned have also improved to this point in their season just like UConn. So has Maryland. I do not understand how anyone can say or see that this present UConn Team can compete for a National Championship. There is no Katy Lou. There is no Naphessa. There is no Morgan, Breanna, Kia, and Moriah. It just is not there. Maybe next year with that talent and the talent after that.
Again, you've got it right VOD. I find it a little difficult to measure our team due to the talent of the teams we play in the AAC. Yes, we have a winning record against all of them, but we have done this every year we've been in the league. The difference is that up to now when we played the top teams outside of the league we usually won. Not the case this year so I don't think we will have a true gauge on just just where we are or how good we are until we get into the tournament and can actually prove ourselves against the top teams.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For me its more about how we are executing and playing as a team. We are blowing out teams that we used to blow out but werent blowing out earlier in the season. The last 3-4 games we are clicking on all cylinders like the UConn teams of old. No we dont have an AA but we have 5 scorers and our defense is quick and active.

Now Liv is not Tina but she is very good and a very good shot blocker. CW is showing signs of getting out of her slump and putting up points and doing everything else. We have a bunch of sharp shooters on the outside and as a team we are very good at this point. If we continue to trust ourselves and play like we have been playing I like our chances of getting to the FF because we have balance on both sides of the ball. When you look at the games we lost we were in them. With the team we have now I think we could beat them.

It will be interesting to see how the NCAAs go this season. There are a bunch of teams who have the talent but only a few who have the talent to play as a team.

Reaction Score
For me its more about how we are executing and playing as a team. We are blowing out teams that we used to blow out but werent blowing out earlier in the season. The last 3-4 games we are clicking on all cylinders like the UConn teams of old. No we dont have an AA but we have 5 scorers and our defense is quick and active.

Now Liv is not Tina but she is very good and a very good shot blocker. CW is showing signs of getting out of her slump and putting up points and doing everything else. We have a bunch of sharp shooters on the outside and as a team we are very good at this point. If we continue to trust ourselves and play like we have been playing I like our chances of getting to the FF because we have balance on both sides of the ball. When you look at the games we lost we were in them. With the team we have now I think we could beat them.

It will be interesting to see how the NCAAs go this season. There are a bunch of teams who have the talent but only a few who have the talent to play as a team.

Tina wasn't Tina as a sophomore either. But...........I truly agree with you!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No, you guys lost to three great teams. We lost to three pretty good teams, with one loss at home.

I'll trot out the excuses that folks here in Louisville make for those losses (loss at Ohio State immediately followed the three games in the Virgin Islands, with a travel delay thrown in; losses to Florida State and at Syracuse were without Balogun) but bottom line is, we lost those games because in all three games we shot under 40% overall and under 33% from outside. This team, like most, needs to shoot well to win.

Our best wins (Oregon at neutral site, at Kentucky and at North Carolina State) are all better than your best win (at DePaul).

You guys are playing lots better recently but that's hard for me to gauge based on the level of competition. That win at Cincinnati was definitely impressive.
A win over Kentucky is not more valuable than a win over DePaul.

The level of competition in the ACC isn't that great either. The NC State team lost to an AAC-level team in North Carolina and barely stumbled past hapless Miami. Just as many question marks surround Louisville as UConn.

Reaction Score
I wonder how many of the people discounting Maryland have seen them play this month. Entirely different team than the one from November and December.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Agree the NCAAs are going to be very competitive. I like our chances too. But c'mon... We do not have an aircraft carrier in the middle. That's part of the problem. Kalani Brown was is an aircraft carrier. Teaira McCowan was is an aircraft carrier. Liv is not in that same size & bulk class. We'll have to do it a different way.

Perhaps yall have a 757 in the middle?

Reaction Score
A win over Kentucky is not more valuable than a win over DePaul.

The level of competition in the ACC isn't that great either. The NC State team lost to an AAC-level team in North Carolina and barely stumbled past hapless Miami. Just as many question marks surround Louisville as UConn.

Upon further review, I agree that a win at Kentucky is no more valuable than a win over DePaul. Heck, based on RPI you can say the same about a win at NC State, although the rankings would say otherwise.

As to question marks - there are definitely some on both sides, but we do know that both Louisville and UConn have been asked the "how do you stack up against Oregon" question. At the end of that day I've got to think that carries a lot of weight with the Committee.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Upon further review, I agree that a win at Kentucky is no more valuable than a win over DePaul. Heck, based on RPI you can say the same about a win at NC State, although the rankings would say otherwise.

As to question marks - there are definitely some on both sides, but we do know that both Louisville and UConn have been asked the "how do you stack up against Oregon" question. At the end of that day I've got to think that carries a lot of weight with the Committee.
Just to be clear: I'm not one of those arguing that UConn should be seeded ahead of Louisville.

Clearly Louisville has better wins. The win over Oregon is huge. But Louisville also has some soft losses, as well as a narrow escape over UT Martin. I don't recall UConn having to go overtime to beat a team like that. My only point with that is that question marks surround Louisville and winning the ACC isn't the great feat it used to be.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear: I'm not one of those arguing that UConn should be seeded ahead of Louisville.

Clearly Louisville has better wins. The win over Oregon is huge. But Louisville also has some soft losses, as well as a narrow escape over UT Martin. I don't recall UConn having to go overtime to beat a team like that. My only point with that is that question marks surround Louisville and winning the ACC isn't the great feat it used to be.

And I pretty much agree with you. But I'll take that ACC championship, somewhat devalued this year, but a championship nonetheless. Muffet will be back.....

(And darn you, I thought I had obliterated that UT Martin game from my 70+-year-old memory bank. It was an ugly win. Another game where we shot under 40%, with 3-14 from outside.)

Reaction Score
Tonyc hit the nail on the head. None of the top 3 teams want to have to beat Geno & UConn a 2nd time. Louisville tried last year and came up short.
No matter how the brackets end up I hope against hope that UConn will at least take down one of the big three

Plebe

Reaction Score
And I pretty much agree with you. But I'll take that ACC championship, somewhat devalued this year, but a championship nonetheless. Muffet will be back.....

(And darn you, I thought I had obliterated that UT Martin game from my 70+-year-old memory bank. It was an ugly win. Another game where we shot under 40%, with 3-14 from outside.)
UT Martin turned out to be a pretty decent team. Finished 16-2 in the Ohio Valley and floated up into the top 50 of the RPI.

I actually admire Jeff for scheduling these good mid-major teams on the road. Many, many coaches out there (cough cough Kim Mulkey) would be unwilling to schedule games like that.

Reaction Score
UT Martin turned out to be a pretty decent team. Finished 16-2 in the Ohio Valley and floated up into the top 50 of the RPI.

I actually admire Jeff for scheduling these good mid-major teams on the road. Many, many coaches out (cough cough Kim Mulkey) would be unwilling to schedule games like that.

Perhaps Mulkey doesn't know that she's allowed to schedule road OOC games. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Thanks for the well thought out response

Plebe

Reaction Score
Perhaps Mulkey doesn't know that she's allowed to schedule road OOC games. :rolleyes:
Except at UConn? :(

Seriously, I fantasize about an NCAA requirement that all teams play a minimum percentage of their OOC in road games. Hiding out at home court should be banned or penalized.

Reaction Score
I like our chances too! Think one game at a time.
Geno will adjust each game as needed!
All need to play to their best potential and not be intimidated by the top 3/4 teams. We didn’t play to our potential in those games! I like our chances a lot.

Reaction Score
Whether a win over Kentucky is more valuable than a win over Depaul depends on the teams involved along with other factors. In the case of Uconn and Louisville I would say it is. Why? Because DePaul was a really good matchup for Uconn. They are basically a very short team that Uconn could match up with really well. Louisville has beaten other top teams like Oregon for example, while Uconn has yet to beat a ranked team that they did not have a matchup advantage over. They may well do that in the NCAA's, but as of yet they have not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom