Tyus Battle Enjoys UConn Visit | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyus Battle Enjoys UConn Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was this kind of thinking that led to a talent abyss for UConn football. To be the best, you need to get your fai share of the ones that the other top programs are after - not be "satisfied with who ever signs with us". Lets follow the Geno approach, and get as many top 20 players as possible, they seem to pan out well.
For the woman game that works but in the men game getting top 20 recruits help but not a guarantee NC. Look at last year Kentucky team. They had way more talent than UConn but to be fair they was mostly freshman's but they was still better, well we thought lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We sound a little like jilted lovers who must now lower expectations, and so we desperately need to find a mole on a pretty girl that we're on a blind date with.
It's not the finding of mole on a pretty girl, it's the seaching for it. those things turn up in the darnedest places.

Reaction Score
I am totally on board with this. Frankly, I'm shocked that we never thought of this approach before.

It amazes me that the coaches would sit around in their recruiting meetings and not think of it. I can see it now:

Miller: KO, I have a crazy idea. Maybe this year we should try to recruit the top ranked players. Like really good ones. The guys that everyone in America wants.
KO: Glen, that's stupid. We should only go after marginal players; guys who are "under the radar" and, of course, Germans.
Miller: You're right. Getting the best talent just makes things more complicated.

Reaction Score
For the woman game that works but in the men game getting top 20 recruits help but not a guarantee NC. Look at last year Kentucky team. They had way more talent than UConn but to be fair they was mostly freshman's but they was still better, well we thought lol
dont forget that team was an 8 seed for a reason and before the championship game they had won on last possession plays like 3 straight games

Reaction Score
Yeah worked out terrible for Kentucky, they only made the championship game. And with a few returnees, they seem to be doing alright this season.

Reaction Score
Good idea, not sure why we don't just sign the top 5 guys each year... That would make things better for sure.
Missing the point. I was merely pointing out the falicy offered by many of UConn's football loyalist, who contend "we'll just like the players we do sign".
Who a program signs matters. Sign lesser talent, get poorer results. Not saying UConn is gonna land every top recruit but recruiting at a high level matters.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Who a program signs matters. Sign lesser talent, get poorer results. Not saying UConn is gonna land every top recruit but recruiting at a high level matters.
I think you are really on to something here.

Reaction Score
Yeah worked out terrible for Kentucky, they only made the championship game. And with a few returnees, they seem to be doing alright this season.
Good point. I know we win the Championship games, but we should not lose sight on how great it is to play the last game of the season. It does count for something, fortunately we don't know how it feels to lose that game. The Final Four, and more importantly to be the last two teams standing is an accomplishment and validation to a successful season for all teams. One more than all the others of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom