Tyrese Martin. He has played incredibly well without Bouknight. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin. He has played incredibly well without Bouknight.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It is annoying that Bouk got hurt, but helped clarify roles and when he comes back I think our Offense will be very well-balanced.

Option 1 : Bouk off screens or off dribble
Option 2 : Tyrese Iso or spot up
Option 3 : Pitch it to Sanogo for a post move
Option 4 : Polley off screens or spot up

All 4 of those options/plays are high efficiency and diverse, so a defense can't really key on any one thing for too long. And of course we can grab 40% of our rebounds which is even better.

What's nice is that you can basically craft rotations so that 2 of the 4 are always on the court, which will also balance our bench lineups.

Its not a guarantee, but you can see the makings of a sweet 16/elite 8 run with those weapons and solid defense if things break right.
Re: option 4, I’d love to see Polley’s FG% when he takes one dribble either to his left or forward. It’s gotta be at least 60%

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I wouldn't exactly say Khalid was out of shape. At 5'10 sure he was stocky but he was a great athlete. You have to be pretty quick if you're only 5'10". Some athletes can carry a few extra pounds and still be in great shape.

Note: Midway through the video they gave the play of the game to vonteego cummings. oops.

Agreed. It also brings back memories of John Bagley and it was a marvel how unathletic and out of shape he looked and yet he could really take it to you. Also, the "round mound of rebound" at Auburn (C. Barkley)

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
It is annoying that Bouk got hurt, but helped clarify roles and when he comes back I think our Offense will be very well-balanced.

Option 1 : Bouk off screens or off dribble
Option 2 : Tyrese Iso or spot up
Option 3 : Pitch it to Sanogo for a post move
Option 4 : Polley off screens or spot up

All 4 of those options/plays are high efficiency and diverse, so a defense can't really key on any one thing for too long. And of course we can grab 40% of our rebounds which is even better.

What's nice is that you can basically craft rotations so that 2 of the 4 are always on the court, which will also balance our bench lineups.

Its not a guarantee, but you can see the makings of a sweet 16/elite 8 run with those weapons and solid defense if things break right.
Tyrese has been hitting quality open looks off screens as well. His defender usually goes under the screen and he always gets a good look. It's great to have these options with Cole as a tertiary scorer as well.

Reaction Score
Imagine where UConn would be if Martin didn't get the waiver to play immediately? Remember, some on here actually wanted him to redshirt.

Never mind asking about a red shirt Hoop, there were those who were asking him to head back to URI after 2-3 games on here and the chatroom because "he's not a high major player." Feel free to step up if you did? LOL

He has been finishing better the last couple but would even have more room to work if Bouk were back. Now that he's comfortable in DHs system it would be exciting to have those 2 on the court together healthy.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Go on, fill out the roster.

Reaction Score
He’s a great get for us and matches up well against shorter teams. He doesn’t have soft hands but can get it in the vicinity enough on his bunnies where they mostly/sometimes go in. He has a better outside shooting touch than you would think, with good arc, and I don’t mind him taking 5 or so tres a game. He’s tuff. Wouldn’t want to get into a bar fight with him. He struggles with taller teams because he’s more of a rock and doesn’t glide or hang well like a lighter player would. Love having him. Not many of the opposition will chirp around him.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that this has been talked about, but I'm lazy. Is Tyrese ok? I assume it was just cramps at the end of the Butler game? Thanks

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I'm sure that this has been talked about, but I'm lazy. Is Tyrese ok? I assume it was just cramps at the end of the Butler game? Thanks
Yep. TM said it was minor cramps after the game.

Reaction Score
I love Martin. I'm thrilled we have another year with him, he's wildly exceeded my expectations. But he just doesn't have great touch, particularly around the rim. It's less a matter of him improving against Butler and more that sometimes his shots are going to fall and sometimes they're not.

You can tell when he tries to score at the rim with his left hand, for example, half the time the ball is coming off the heel of his palm and he's just sort of launching it at the backboard. When they fall, he looks great, when they don't, he seems like he has the yips.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Never mind asking about a red shirt Hoop, there were those who were asking him to head back to URI after 2-3 games on here and the chatroom because "he's not a high major player." Feel free to step up if you did? LOL

He has been finishing better the last couple but would even have more room to work if Bouk were back. Now that he's comfortable in DHs system it would be exciting to have those 2 on the court together healthy.

It's interesting that a guy who seems not to have a real position, can be such a weapon. He plays 2-4 for us and finds a way to exploit mismatches no matter which role he's in. That's where I think he has gotten comfortable. Before Bouk was out, he was never playing guard, but then he had to. I've been impressed with his ability to switch who he defends and what his role is on offense every time we sub somebody in. Adams goes out, Martin is a 2, unless Gaff is in, then he's a 3. Polley in and Whaley or Sanogo at 5, Martin is a 4. He does it seamlessly now.

Reaction Score
We would have been happy to have him under normal circumstances but with the injuries and no Akok he's become indispensable.

Reaction Score

really hope coachmike stays a while, dudes a magician

I am sure Coach Mike is amazing, but those pictures could have been taken on the same day. Notice how his shoulders are back in the "before" and forward in the "after". This exaggerates the traps and shows the arms at a different angle. Martin looks beastly nowadays, so I am not criticizing his condition. Just saying there is some trickery afoot in those photos.

Reaction Score
I am sure Coach Mike is amazing, but those pictures could have been taken on the same day. Notice how his shoulders are back in the "before" and forward in the "after". This exaggerates the traps and shows the arms at a different angle. Martin looks beastly nowadays, so I am not criticizing his condition. Just saying there is some trickery afoot in those photos.
They very clearly are not taken on the same day. Just look at the tan line in the first photo.

Reaction Score
This explains why I was shocked by Martin’s size at the begging of the season. He looked like an average sized wing at URI. Now he’s a beast.

Reaction Score
They very clearly are not taken on the same day. Just look at the tan line in the first photo.
I wasn't suggesting they were literally taken on the same day. I'm sure the dates are accurate. I merely contend that a person who looks like the "before" picture could pose in such a way that he looks like the "after" picture.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

really hope coachmike stays a while, dudes a magician

He really seems to like new innovative S&C ideas. He’s not stuck in a way of doing things.

Reaction Score
Get a clue not a job. Trickery lol. If you can’t see the difference you can’t be helped. Confirmed

Reaction Score
He has played incredibly well without Bouknight. It is really hard for a #2 option to become the #1 option overnight because not just does the player have to player better, but he has to do that while becoming the focus of the opposing defense and learning the ISO plays from the perspective of the person being ISO'd. It is not easy to replace a primary scorer that was over double the #2 in terms of PPG. We had trouble doing this even going back to some of our really good teams, like the 2004 team. Whenever Okafor was having back problems, that team's offense ground to a halt.

Even when a new #1 option steps up after an injury, you typically see that player's scoring go up and shooting percentages go down as he takes more shots but also draws the other team's top defenders and help D. Martin has gone the opposite direction. He is shooting better and getting to the line more since Bouk got hurt.

This is really impressive.
Agree with this mostly, although I have to say I don’t recall the 2004 team’s offense grinding to a halt when Okafor was out. Gordon led that team in scoring and we had Rashad, Denham Brown, Villanueva, Boone, etc..I thought that team had plenty of options on offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom