Tyrese Martin Appreciation | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin Appreciation

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
I don’t open threads too often, but I just needed to show Tyrese Martin some love after what he did for his team this week. I feel like he occasionally gets overlooked (Cole, Sonogo, Whaley are our leaders, of course), but he has been an absolute rock for us this season. The man is a rebounding machine, knows his role on the team, and he has NO fear - we probably don’t make it to OT against Auburn without a couple huge shots from Martin when our offense died at the end of regulation.

Sure, he makes some bonehead decisions occasionally…that MSU turnover was painful. But you really gotta respect the passion and fight this kid brings game after game. He is tough as nails; dude was getting assaulted for much of the VCU game and he shrugged it off and got right back in their faces. He brings a fire that our teams have been missing for a few years (shout-out to Andre on that front, too), he’s vocal with his teammates, and you can tell he just loves the game.

On top of what he brings to the court, he just sounds like a really incredible kid. Worked in a warehouse to help his mom during COVID, already giving back to his community in Allentown, PA. I imagine he’s a great mentor to his younger teammates. I just really admire and appreciate what Tyrese brings to UConn basketball, and I’m extremely proud to have him be a representative of the university.

Reaction Score
He's the first guy I can remember since Jerome Dyson, who I worry about holding up an entire season, not because he's not strong, but he plays so physical all the damn time.

The announcers talked about how there was no foul on Sanogo's short shot near the end, but it wouldn't have mattered. The ball was already on its way of going through the hoop because Martin had rebounded it and put back in off the board all in one motion. Either way, it would have been 2 points for UConn.

Reaction Score
Hear hear! Martin has been a true Husky, someone who you just know is going to fight like hell every second he's on the court. That stretch in the Michigan State game where he physically and emotionally dominated the other team while clearly being hurt was something to behold. His game isn't perfect but he's a freakin rock out there.

Reaction Score
Tyrese needs to start hitting his midrange jumpshots and stop hitting the front rim but he knows that. What I like is he brings a toughness to our team and no one has challenged him yet. He just gives them the look. And Tyrese never changes his facial expression. Warrior!

Reaction Score
I don’t open threads too often, but I just needed to show Tyrese Martin some love after what he did for his team this week. I feel like he occasionally gets overlooked (Cole, Sonogo, Whaley are our leaders, of course), but he has been an absolute rock for us this season. The man is a rebounding machine, knows his role on the team, and he has NO fear - we probably don’t make it to OT against Auburn without a couple huge shots from Martin when our offense died at the end of regulation.

Sure, he makes some bonehead decisions occasionally…that MSU turnover was painful. But you really gotta respect the passion and fight this kid brings game after game. He is tough as nails; dude was getting assaulted for much of the VCU game and he shrugged it off and got right back in their faces. He brings a fire that our teams have been missing for a few years (shout-out to Andre on that front, too), he’s vocal with his teammates, and you can tell he just loves the game.

On top of what he brings to the court, he just sounds like a really incredible kid. Worked in a warehouse to help his mom during COVID, already giving back to his community in Allentown, PA. I imagine he’s a great mentor to his younger teammates. I just really admire and appreciate what Tyrese brings to UConn basketball, and I’m extremely proud to have him be a representative of the university.
So we admire and root for the kid for the reasons stated alone plus on the court he's a true warrior, tough as they come. Lucky to have him here.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Hey Tyrese…
I Appreciate You Dj Khaled GIF

Reaction Score

I dont like the bonehead plays as he should know better by now but it comes from a good place of trying to make a play and playing hard. Hes one of my favorite players on this team for sure.

Reaction Score
it's a shame that we lost the msu game, because he was so, so good (outside of a couple of boneheaded turnovers). the sequence where he skied to block brown's shot, then tapped it ahead, grabbed it, and jumped to dunk it from outside the circle was one of the best uconn plays i have seen in a while.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Martin is such an odd two guard. His rebounding is beyond elite for a guard. He runs the court hard and can get those dunks in transition.

His TO's for a senior are mind boggling. More lapses in concentration than lack of knowledge. The missed layups and poor FT shooting. Really good in the pist against smaller players.

At this point he is Johnnie Selvie territory for me. You have to accept those odd head scratching plays because you will get some great production from effort and hustle.

Reaction Score
Kid was banged up on both hands and still was great. A true warrior. James has had his hands full this week.

Reaction Score
Always liked what Tyrese brought to the table, to think before the season started many yarders were very down on him and I'm very surprised now how admired he is at this point. The Bonyard?

Reaction Score
Hurley should consider keeping either Cole or Martin on the court together or separately with every other combination of units. Martin specifically is a better post option than everyone but Sanogo and he keeps the ball moving when Gaffney is running the point. Foul trouble may throw a wrench into this equation but I think it would balance out most lineups.

Reaction Score
Martin is such an odd two guard. His rebounding is beyond elite for a guard. He runs the court hard and can get those dunks in transition.

His TO's for a senior are mind boggling. More lapses in concentration than lack of knowledge. The missed layups and poor FT shooting. Really good in the pist against smaller players.

At this point he is Johnnie Selvie territory for me. You have to accept those odd head scratching plays because you will get some great production from effort and hustle.
He's shooting better than 70% on close 2's this year. The missed layups are largely a thing of the past.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom