Tyrese Martin and Donny Marshall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin and Donny Marshall

Reaction Score
Said it on Dec. 20th. ((I looked it up. Wanted to be sure) I think Martin is naturally more gifted offensively. Donny really worked though to improve and you saw it gradually each and every season. I don't think either is/was short on confidence and both seem to play with a bit of a chip on their shoulder.

I love Martin though. He's going to be a touch match up for many teams, and I love that he knows where to be to compliment Bouknight. He just seems to have the instincts that a lot of players lack.

Reaction Score
Someone in the game chat compared Martin to Donny Marshall. Whoever said it, feel free to take credit. I thought it was a very nice comparison. Martin may have a bit more skill. Which for the most part has gotten Martin into trouble. Not tonight though. He was under control most of the game.

Tonight when I Watched Martin I saw a player who's life could go in two directions.

If Martin puts in Ray Allen caliber effort he may be a 1st round guy. Second round definitely.

If he puts in Jalen Adams effort he'll be trying to sneak in the back door of the NBA. Like Adams and a few other KO guys.
Great Post I was thinking Kevin Freeman w/ better "O" Haven't see enough to know if he has Kevin's Heart or maybe Gavin Edwards Heart.... he can be a difference maker

Reaction Score
Best Martin play vs DePaul was his pass from the low block to a wide open Gaffney (I believe) in the corner for a wide open 3. When was the last post player we've had who has court vision like that?

Reaction Score
Donny Marshall was a blur, one of the fastest Huskies ever to lace them up.

Martin is more like Giffey. Not as good of a shooter (not many are) but a guy who does everything, plays defense , rebounds, dunks, gets steals, is an intelligent player and is a good outside shooter.

Glue guy. Swiss Army Knife.

I was a big Donny Marshall fan when he was here, but...a blur? I think Martin compares favorably to Donny. He runs the floor, rebounds, and has some shooting touch. He allows Bouknight to play the 2 while also having the size to slide to the 4 and allowing Gaffney or Adams to join a three guard lineup. He's only going to get better as he plays.

Reaction Score
I was a big Donny Marshall fan when he was here, but...a blur? I think Martin compares favorably to Donny. He runs the floor, rebounds, and has some shooting touch. He allows Bouknight to play the 2 while also having the size to slide to the 4 and allowing Gaffney or Adams to join a three guard lineup. He's only going to get better as he plays.

Donny was very, very fast. At 6-7, he was like a sprinter. So, yeah, he was a blur, for a 6-7 forward.

Jim Calhoun called him "the fastest frontcourt player in the country." Anyone who watched him play (I did) was impressed by his speed.

"I don't know if he's our best player and I would never say that," Calhoun said. "But I know one thing: based upon the needs of our team, he probably is our most indispensable player. We don't have another one like him. When he's into the game, when he's emotional, when he's the fastest frontcourt player in the country, he makes us a very difficult matchup."

Reaction Score
Calhoun made comments about Donny his Jr year to the effect of he’s making shots he wouldn’t have taken a year ago, and would have needed written position to take his freshman year. Martin isn’t the same player as Donny. But as was Donny, he’s very athletic, has a decent shot and can score in a variety of ways. He does a lot of things well and nothing poorly. Superstar? No. The kind of guy you need to have a championship ball club, absolutely.

Reaction Score
Donny was very, very fast. At 6-7, he was like a sprinter. So, yeah, he was a blur, for a 6-7 forward.

Jim Calhoun called him "the fastest frontcourt player in the country." Anyone who watched him play (I did) was impressed by his speed.

"I don't know if he's our best player and I would never say that," Calhoun said. "But I know one thing: based upon the needs of our team, he probably is our most indispensable player. We don't have another one like him. When he's into the game, when he's emotional, when he's the fastest frontcourt player in the country, he makes us a very difficult matchup."

Fastest front court player is something different from fastest Husky ever. I agree with the fact that speed was an asset for Donny, especially in the era in which he played.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Don't really see martin as an nba level talent. Especially first round. Maybe I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Fastest front court player is something different from fastest Husky ever. I agree with the fact that speed was an asset for Donny, especially in the era in which he played.
Since I never said he was the fastest husky ever, that is a complete straw man. I mean, really, what's your beef. Donny could fly on the court. He would be considered a sprinter in any era even today.

Here's a quote from an opposing NCAA Tourney player. "All week in practice, we worked on getting back [on defense]," Tennessee- Chattanooga's Brandon Born (23 points) said. "But I had no idea those guys could get out and run like they did. Donny Marshall, he's something else. I've never seen a guy run like he can."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There commonality is high energy / intensity only. But Martin seems more in control.
They also have different skill to athleticism ratio’s . Martin is more balanced.
Donny was so intense he could become irrational at times.There was a year we were worried about a season ending suspension.
We loved him opponents hated him There was zero grey area with Donny.

Reaction Score
I think hes a more natural offensive player than DM ever was. DM was rarely a threat to put up 25 or even 30 on a given night while TM is capable of doing it on any given night. I think he can put up 12 and 7 a night in his sleep. He will help ease the blow of Ajaxs` injury and development and give us a solid all around guy that we can depend on night in and night out.

Reaction Score
Part of TM;'s value to this team is as a rebounder. Has a nose for the ball.. Will be critical in BE play.. Partly why our offensive rebounding numbers are so high on a national level.

Is a very good two- way player.. Like his defensive instincts.. Hope Andre is taking notes..

KFree making an impact..

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Martin and Marshall are good comps.

Marshall is faster. Donny didn't have the quickest first step, but there were few college forwards faster than him when he got to full speed. Remember all the times UConn would run transition off made baskets with Donny finishing on the other end? Martin is fast too, but he doesn't have Donny's top speed.

Martin is good defensively, but Marshall was a phenomenal defender that could match up with almost anyone. Donny played next to Travis Knight, who was not a stellar defender, and Donny would frequently be checking guys much taller than him. Martin is not as good yet, but if he really works on his game he might get there.

Both players are explosive jumpers. Like Donny, Martin's dunks seem to come out of nowhere. Both are physically strong players, although Martin is not at Donny's level of physicality yet. It takes years of dedication in the weight room to get to the level of sinewy strength that Marshall had in his prime.

Offensively, neither player is dominant but both are good contributors. Martin can improve his jumper like Marshall did over time, but I don't think either will ever be great shooters. Donny's shooting percentages actually declined quite a bit his senior year as he was asked to be the lead scorer. It gets harder to keep percentages high when the defense is keyed in on you.

Donny was maybe an inch taller than Martin, which matters a lot in terms of NBA potential.

Last edited:

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I was very young when Donny Marshall played. The player I like to compare Martin to is Kevin Freeman. I’m sure Coach Freeman is having a lot of fun teaching this kid.

Reaction Score
I told Tyrese’s parents that if they had a child, he would be like Donny Marshall, so they did.

Reaction Score
So, who is the Pam Webber comp?
1609713571396.png

Reaction Score
When I think of Donny Marshall I also think of Kevin Freeman. I always thought Kevin had more potential than his professional career results.
Definitely reminds me of Freeman. High energy, physical, an athlete.

Reaction Score
DM was rarely a threat to put up 25 or even 30 on a given night while TM is capable of doing it on any given night.

Marshall averaged 24 per game in the ‘95 tournament. Don’t sell him short offensively.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Marshall averaged 24 per game in the ‘95 tournament. Don’t sell him short offensively.

I think people generally forget just how good that '95 team was. That team could score at will. They scored 100, 96, 99 and 96 points in the NCAA Tournament. Brian Fair averaged 9.6 ppg and he was only playing 17 mpg because he was always in Calhoun's doghouse. Knight only averaged 23 mpg because he was usually sharing space in that doghouse with Fair.

Even with all that, the team was amazing offensively. Allen shot 44.5% from 3, which is impressive, but Fair was 45.3% from 3. Sheffer was a respectable 36.5%. This is the mid-90's, so those percentages are amazing. 4 of the top 8 players in minutes shot over 50% from the field, including Kevin Ollie at 50.5%.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
So...this thread but for Polley, right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member