Tyrese Martin and Donny Marshall | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin and Donny Marshall

Reaction Score
Someone in the game chat compared Martin to Donny Marshall. Whoever said it, feel free to take credit. I thought it was a very nice comparison. Martin may have a bit more skill. Which for the most part has gotten Martin into trouble. Not tonight though. He was under control most of the game.

Tonight when I Watched Martin I saw a player who's life could go in two directions.

If Martin puts in Ray Allen caliber effort he may be a 1st round guy. Second round definitely.

If he puts in Jalen Adams effort he'll be trying to sneak in the back door of the NBA. Like Adams and a few other KO guys.

Reaction Score
Someone in the game chat compared Martin to Donny Marshall. Whoever said it, feel free to take credit. I thought it was a very nice comparison. Martin may have a bit more skill. Which for the most part has gotten Martin into trouble. Not tonight though. He was under control most of the game.

Tonight when I Watched Martin I saw a player who's life could go in two directions.

If Martin puts in Ray Allen caliber effort he may be a 1st round guy. Second round definitely.

If he puts in Jalen Adams effort he'll be trying to sneak in the back door of the NBA. Like Adams and a few other KO guys.
Said it in the Hartford game chat - first game. He showed it even more tonight. Donny had a decent career in the league, but it's different now. Like you said, he definitely has a shot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Donny and Martin have a similar gait or motion when they are on the floor that stands out from the other players. It’s as if a tight end was moonlighting on the basketball team. Donny liked to play it close to the line with the zebras and caused Calhoun agita. Martin is more like the Dude (“sometimes there’s a man and well he’s the man for his time and place. He fits right in there and that’s the Dude”).

Reaction Score
It is a good comp, particularly when you consider that Donny at his best also played a good 2nd to 3rd fiddle to our star at that time (Donyell).

The more important point though is this... if Tyrese can play like this consistently (and no, I am not saying we need 22 pts. and 10 boards every game, but 12 to 16 points and more than 5 rebounds as a floor on most nights) then we become a legit Top 25, Top of the Big East and serious threat to make it to the Sweet 16 and beyond come tourney time.

This is potentially a very positive and exciting development for the future ceiling of this team, indeed.

Reaction Score
Donny Marshall was a blur, one of the fastest Huskies ever to lace them up.

Martin is more like Giffey. Not as good of a shooter (not many are) but a guy who does everything, plays defense , rebounds, dunks, gets steals, is an intelligent player and is a good outside shooter.

Glue guy. Swiss Army Knife.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think the comparison begins and ends for me with "floor presence" . They are both tenacious on floor and with toughness. Donny I dont think was even a 2nd ,3rd, or 4th option offensively. He was who he was by being a guy who knew his role, and that role was to be mentally tougher than everyone on the floor. and to sprint the floor on breaks. And that was a perfect piece on those UConn teams because in that period we were the ultimate fast break team. Donny was a track star and our games then were track meets. Always at his best when games were chaotic. In the 1/2 court We werent running stuff for Donny, he was opportunistic. Donny was an "intangibles" guy , always made the team better by being what he was.

Martin has more 1/2 court offensive potential, but he does have that similar "intangibles" feel to his game.

Its not a bad comparison. It works in many different manners. I think it just sells Martin a little short on shot making potential.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I said it and then someone else said it like 3 or 4 pages later.

Reaction Score
Martin is a skilled tough guy and the type of player Hurley loves. We haven't had those in a while. Hell, I'd bring him to a pick-up basketball game and rough house everyone and hide behind him whenever someone tried to start something with me.

Reaction Score
Tyrese plays very maturely. He is physically developed and has unwavering focus. He played superb last night. He really could be that second go to guy we have been looking for and his rebounding and overall toughness are proving to be very impactful.

Thrilled to have Tyrese in a UConn uniform.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Said it in the Hartford game chat - first game. He showed it even more tonight. Donny had a decent career in the league, but it's different now. Like you said, he definitely has a shot.
Spot on; last night it really jumped out as he was hitting threes too. Similar builds, similar games, similar demeanor. I think Donny was quicker down the floor on the fastbreak, but the similarities here with the rebounding, the shooting, and the versatile game are kind of uncanny.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
People are jumping the shark with NBA talk. Those same people are going to say he’s an A10 talent when he doesn’t put up more than 5 points in a game.

He’s a great rebounder and a tremendous piece on a winning team. He’s not currently someone who can create his own offense or facilitate others offense. At his size, that will never get you into the first round. Just let him live with having a great game and potentially big impact on the team’s success.

I would be surprised if he’s our second leading scorer throughout the season but he doesn’t need to be to have a huge impact. Again, his rebounding is really impressive.

Reaction Score
People are jumping the shark with NBA talk. Those same people are going to say he’s an A10 talent when he doesn’t put up more than 5 points in a game.

He’s a great rebounder and a tremendous piece on a winning team. He’s not currently someone who can create his own offense or facilitate others offense. At his size, that will never get you into the first round. Just let him live with having a great game and potentially big impact on the team’s success.

I would be surprised if he’s our second leading scorer throughout the season but he doesn’t need to be to have a huge impact. Again, his rebounding is really impressive.
I guess you missed his dribble drive from top of the key yesterday. He can definitely dribble drive and create his own shot but just needs to be more assertive. He definitely has a better handle than Donny and is also a better defender. Just give him more time to figure out his place in the offense and you will be seeing a dynamic second scorer. He has just been deferring a lot to his teemates as be is new and doesn't want to step on anyone's toes.

Reaction Score
Martin is a dog. I love this kid. You can tell from his body language on the court and the way he plays that he is all about the team and winning, and doesn't care about being the star. He seems like a grown man on the court - I don't anticipate him getting rattled in a big game.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I guess you missed his dribble drive from top of the key yesterday. He can definitely dribble drive and create his own shot but just needs to be more assertive. He definitely has a better handle than Donny and is also a better defender. Just give him more time to figure out his place in the offense and you will be seeing a dynamic second scorer. He has just been deferring a lot to his teemates as be is new and doesn't want to step on anyone's toes.
I’m judging based on everything we’ve seen on him not one dribble drive. By that logic Polley is a guy who we can rely on to score on dribble drives.

People need to stop taking one piece of data and extrapolating to the moon...in both directions

Reaction Score
I’m judging based on everything we’ve seen on him not one dribble drive. By that logic Polley is a guy who we can rely on to score on dribble drives.

People need to stop taking one piece of data and extrapolating to the moon...in both directions
No he has done it in a couple other games too. I think he is hesitant still as he is still figuring out his place. I'm thinking that Hurley got on him after the Creighton game and be more aggressive and look for his offense.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Martin is a dog. I love this kid. You can tell from his body language on the court and the way he plays that he is all about the team and winning, and doesn't care about being the star. He seems like a grown man on the court - I don't anticipate him getting rattled in a big game.

No. He doesnt seem like he would And that is the kinda guy that rubs that off on teammates. They take his lead.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
So, who is the Pam Webber comp?
1609440735700.png

Reaction Score
Donny Marshall isn't a terrible comparison. I think any of use would have sign up for that type of player for the next two years.

The more recent guy I thought of in addition was Shonn Miller. Martin is actually rebounding better than Miller did, although Miller's rebounding numbers were insane at Cornell. Miller was a bit more efficient offensively (compared to Martin's five games so rate states really mean nothing) and had more blocks and steals. Of course, Miller played the 4, and Martin is a 3 who plays 4 in small lineups. But in terms of overall ability and value as a plus plus role player, I don't think it's that far off.

Even though we were legitimately a top-30 or so team who didn't too terribly in the tourney, I can't help but think that 2016 should have done better. I think this year's team could realistically make the Sweet 16, and Martin will be a big part of getting us there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom