Tyler Polley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Agree with some excellent posts on this thread. I was not a believer in Polley last year... to weak physically, limited athleticism. Like others, I have been surprised by his progress this year. If he can become a consistent knock down three point shooter and develop a mid range shot, he will be a player we remember well. There is one factor that has not been raised yet, I noticed it the first time I saw him this year... his hair cut and the goatee make him look bad-ass... I almost didn't recognize him from last year's wide-eyed, clean cut freshman look. The look fits his new game. Given Hurley's ability to develop kids in the right ways, he probably advised this as a first step in gaining confidence and toughening him up.

The new look makes him look enough like Isaiah Whaley that I thought he was in the game for a split second.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think he has improved parts of his game offensively in that he has become more of a moving target and is following up on his shots. He also has a better touch around the rim.
Defensively, discounting the Cook assignment, to my observation which is live vs TV, he is lacking side to side speed, allows his man to shoulder by him, and gets lost via separation when assigned to active players. I really haven't seen that much improvement.
Yeah he looked better vs Cornell but his assignments were a good 6" or more smaller than he is. That is the rare exception vs the rule. Average 4s and agile 3s cause him issues.
Overall he is a more active and less hesitant player than his freshman year
Not close to being better than Giffey - not close
But I think he will continue to improve and by his senior year he may be a really good player for UConn

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You all are severely underrating Polleys potential. He can be a better version of Giffey. And Giffey started on a championship team

Dunno about that. I mean, come on, Giffey was far more athletic and strong; he guarded 5's on occasion, never mind 4's.
Polley can't even sniff Giffey defensively technique-wise.

And kids like Precious will always start over him.

Reaction Score
I dunno he was a top 125 player so he doesn’t suck. He’s only a sophomore. There’s still time to add strength. I’d agree - he’s not an elite athlete - but he’s already a solid starting college basketball player. With two years to go, he should get better. I’m buying.

I think we need better talent but he’s going to see a lot of minutes the next few years and out of Ollie’s random grab bag of orts - he’s probably the best.

Reaction Score
Dunno about that. I mean, come on, Giffey was far more athletic and strong; he guarded 5's on occasion, never mind 4's.

Defensively, Giffey was relentless and could guard the 3, 4, or 5. He was a HUGE piece of that 2014 Championship team. 3 and D. Glue guy. Will always be one of my favorite Huskies along with Boat and Bazz. Where Polley has a higher cieling is scoring in a variety of ways. I predict we see a day where Polley goes off for like 27 points, possibly next season. The kid oozes potential, imo.

C

Chief00

I think he has improved parts of his game offensively in that he has become more of a moving target and is following up on his shots. He also has a better touch around the rim.
Defensively, discounting the Cook assignment, to my observation which is live vs TV, he is lacking side to side speed, allows his man to shoulder by him, and gets lost via separation when assigned to active players. I really haven't seen that much improvement.
Yeah he looked better vs Cornell but his assignments were a good 6" or more smaller than he is. That is the rare exception vs the rule. Average 4s and agile 3s cause him issues.
But I think he will continue to improve and by his senior year he may be a really good player for UConn
Tyler perhaps benefits from Hurley’s system more than anyone else in terms of minutes. Danny likes his flexibility and I agree it starts with defense. Chief expects more improvement, especially if Sal can succeed in making Tyler significantly stronger.

Reaction Score

Well by the time he was a senior for sure and as a junior major improvement. But Giffey wasn't confident at all doing anything with the ball as a sophomore either and his defense was similar to Polley at that point also. Not sure whether you've seen Polley block shots, get into passing lanes pretty well etc.. He's not great yet but shows very good potential as a defender and will be ok offensively at least unless he finds more. I love Niels but these 2 as 2nd year players are very similar Niels just was on a better team and saw less time.

Just my take.

Reaction Score

Another great post. He is not the defender as a Soph that Giffey was as a Frosh. And I'm not sure he ever will be. Again, happy with his improvement and he's contributing. But it's a long, long trip from contributing to a team at our current level to contributing to a team that's looking to make the Final Four.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Polley does need to work on his lateral quickness, because if he can guard the 3 that will make opponents have to deal with his length at that spot. He also needs to be a bit more aggressive looking for his own shot, particularly pick and pop. He’s dangerous from 3, and if the D closes out hard he should be able to drive.

Reaction Score
On the one hand, Polley lacks athleticism -- a completely immobile upper body and a shuffling step -- but on the other hand, that is not totally unlike DeAndre, who became a confident baseline driver as well as a corner sharpshooter. The current Polley will suffice on the 20-win team that UConn is beginning to look like, but if we aspire to more, we must hope that Sid is an improvement. In the best case scenario, our January edition will have Sid and Mamadou at the corners. That is our potential tournament team, in my view
DD was very reluctant to put the ball on the the floor and was bashed brutally on the board for 2 1/2 years. I probably was one of his biggest defenders but even I thought that showing a strong move to the hoop would give him better looks.
In my post in “who are we sleeping on thread “ I thought Polley was the guy specifically because after reviewing his Prep films I was amazed how comfortable he was putting it on the floor.. In combo with a nice touch that’s a rare find.
He Obviously needs to get stronger but he is only 19 years old as is Carlton.
We’re recruiting kids who will be freshman next year about the same age as those two so adding strength is pretty normal in that age.
If Diarra , Wilson, Whaley can’t develop a 15 footer they will be situational players only . When your game is predicated on guard penetration allowing the D to compress is shooting yourself in the foot.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well by the time he was a senior for sure and as a junior major improvement. But Giffey wasn't confident at all doing anything with the ball as a sophomore either and his defense was similar to Polley at that point also. Not sure whether you've seen Polley block shots, get into passing lanes pretty well etc.. He's not great yet but shows very good potential as a defender and will be ok offensively at least unless he finds more. I love Niels but these 2 as 2nd year players are very similar Niels just was on a better team and saw less time.

Just my take.

[while I respond to Giffey vs Polley below, I think the far better and more interesting comparison is between Polley and DeAndre Daniels]

Some truth there, but I did see Giffey getting some defensive assignments in 2011 on Kemba's team. Even in Maui. He was far ahead (imo) defensively than Polley coming in. 2011 was a strong team, but he still got 10mpg; Polley wouldn't even have seen the floor that year.

Giffey's fundamental technique was there from the start. I'm not saying he was elite defensively coming in, but he was a useful tool, enough so that the Yard was excited. His defensive versatility was damn near elite by the time he was a senior.

Polley has some things to work with defensively, but he's not there yet. And he will always be much more limited defensively from a versatility perspective. Niels could defend 1 through 5, depending on the player in question--for example, he was defending Peyton Siva or anything, but he could Wilbekin if needed.

I sometimes think people overrate Giffey on here as some kind of UCONN legend, but I do feel he was a very well rounded player that could be a very effective piece on ANY championship team. We wouldn't have won the 2nd title without him.

Polley has a chance to be very effective in his role, but that slow foot speed will always limit that role defensively. He can be a disrupter down low, and if he fills out, an effective defender of the four.

As someone mentioned, he has the chance to be a more versatile scorer than Giffey was. I don't know if he will be like Giffey passing or not, as Niels was, to use classic white guy terminology, a heady plaer.

And Giffey is flat out a better rebounder in terms of position, strength, quickness, instincts, etc. Underrated there.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Polley does need to work on his lateral quickness, because if he can guard the 3 that will make opponents have to deal with his length at that spot. He also needs to be a bit more aggressive looking for his own shot, particularly pick and pop. He’s dangerous from 3, and if the D closes out hard he should be able to drive.

Just my opinion Hoop, but I don't see him ever being able to guard a quicker three (maybe like Sid?) well.

Those guys will put it on the floor and blow by him. Sure he might be able to recover with a come from behind block, but that's not sound basketball.

If he fills out, he will thrive at blocking perimeter shots of bigger slower fours (like the typical Kansas guys). He'll be able to use his length to get in the passing lanes, and maybe seal off that type of player too.

I'm not trying to insult him with this statement, but: he would THRIVE in Boeheim's Zone. Perfect player for that.

I think Hurley makes him effective enough defensively in our system, by maximizing his assets (length/shot blocking) and minimizing his weaknesses (foot speed).

Reaction Score
It's amazing what can happen when a 6'7" kid who is athletic and can shoot is properly coached.
Having said that, I think Sid and Mamadou will snatch minutes away from him eventually (although his shooting ability is quite valuable). And then who knows if we go big game hunting at the forward positions for 2019...
I love Polley though, I'm looking forward to seeing him continue to improve, and think he will just keep getting better and better.
i can’t wait to see what diarra and sid do. i think they will be well coached by hurley

Reaction Score
[while I respond to Giffey vs Polley below, I think the far better and more interesting comparison is between Polley and DeAndre Daniels]

Some truth there, but I did see Giffey getting some defensive assignments in 2011 on Kemba's team. Even in Maui. He was far ahead (imo) defensively than Polley coming in. 2011 was a strong team, but he still got 10mpg; Polley wouldn't even have seen the floor that year.

Giffey's fundamental technique was there from the start. I'm not saying he was elite defensively coming in, but he was a useful tool, enough so that the Yard was excited. His defensive versatility was damn near elite by the time he was a senior.

Polley has some things to work with defensively, but he's not there yet. And he will always be much more limited defensively from a versatility perspective. Niels could defend 1 through 5, depending on the player in question--for example, he was defending Peyton Siva or anything, but he could Wilbekin if needed.

I sometimes think people overrate Giffey on here as some kind of UCONN legend, but I do feel he was a very well rounded player that could be a very effective piece on ANY championship team. We wouldn't have won the 2nd title without him.

Polley has a chance to be very effective in his role, but that slow foot speed will always limit that role defensively. He can be a disrupter down low, and if he fills out, an effective defender of the four.

As someone mentioned, he has the chance to be a more versatile scorer than Giffey was. I don't know if he will be like Giffey passing or not, as Niels was, to use classic white guy terminology, a heady plaer.

And Giffey is flat out a better rebounder in terms of position, strength, quickness, instincts, etc. Underrated there.

Giffey was really good at guarding bigger guys when called upon his last couple of years. So he could guard multiple positions I’m not sure a much taller Polley will be able to do that. We are looking at different players no doubt too although they are/were asked to play similar positions. Seems Polley has grown even while here an inch or so he’s probably going to need to put lbs on to guard the positions which fit his skills. Giffey was vastly improved his last 2 years for sure so I think Tyler has time to maybe do the same.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Just my opinion Hoop, but I don't see him ever being able to guard a quicker three (maybe like Sid?) well.

Those guys will put it on the floor and blow by him. Sure he might be able to recover with a come from behind block, but that's not sound basketball.

Well, I'll agree with you if you stipulate that no player has ever improved as their career advances in lateral quickness, ability to anticipate and cut off drives, and overall defensive acumen.

I don't like pigeonholing someone's entire career based on what one sees when they first emerge on the scene. Players can improve almost anything with the proper work, and that includes lateral quickness, which usually involves improved leg strength and lowering your center of gravity on defense. It also improves with court awareness and basketball IQ - you learn to read the play, and playing time helps with that. He's getting that now. It's interesting now to see people compare sophomore Polley with senior Giffey and junior Daniels. Both of those guys improved steadily year over year, and yet Polley can't? He's already improved substantially between last year and this.

Now, having said this, am I overwhelmed with his athleticism? He's not Zion Williamson, so no.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Polley is having his best game of the season tonight - not just statistically, but with the eye test as well. Making the extra passes, getting open and calling for the ball. We need him to keep this good play rolling into the weekend.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well, I'll agree with you if you stipulate that no player has ever improved as their career advances in lateral quickness, ability to anticipate and cut off drives, and overall defensive acumen.

I don't like pigeonholing someone's entire career based on what one sees when they first emerge on the scene. Players can improve almost anything with the proper work, and that includes lateral quickness, which usually involves improved leg strength and lowering your center of gravity on defense. It also improves with court awareness and basketball IQ - you learn to read the play, and playing time helps with that. He's getting that now. It's interesting now to see people compare sophomore Polley with senior Giffey and junior Daniels. Both of those guys improved steadily year over year, and yet Polley can't? He's already improved substantially between last year and this.

Now, having said this, am I overwhelmed with his athleticism? He's not Zion Williamson, so no.

Nobody said he couldn't improve. Just that there are limitations on his upside from a defensive versatility perspective.

All of those positional skills, fundamentals etc are of course critical, and while capable of being improved upon, they tend to be more beneficial on the interior, where guys don't move quite so much, and you defend with the basket/rebounds/OB always in mind. There's less space to cover, so positioning/footwork becomes far more important than pure athleticism. As you move out to the perimeter, they become less and less effective, and more vulnerable to speed and raw athleticism.

In that light, I see him being in being in the DeAndre Daniels mold of a stretch four. DeAndre at Giffey as a 'sidekick' to be able to cover the perimeter effectively when they played together.

I don't think Polley will be totally effective as a three, given his inherent limitations...UNLESS, we have a Okafor/Thabeet type shot blocking presence inside to erase all mistakes/exploitations.

pj

Reaction Score
In that light, I see him being in being in the DeAndre Daniels mold of a stretch four. DeAndre at Giffey as a 'sidekick' to be able to cover the perimeter effectively when they played together.

DeAndre is the right comp. DeAndre had more length and was better defensively, but Polley is already the better shooter, although maybe less versatile. Polley can get stronger than DeAndre. I think in a year or two he may be as good.

Reaction Score
You all are severely underrating Polleys potential. He can be a better version of Giffey. And Giffey started on a championship team

Giffey is a perfect comparison to Polley. They both know who they are and how to play within their role, have an exceptional ability to shoot the 3, and can make plays on defense.

The biggest difference is that Giffey's athleticism was his exceptional lateral movement at his size, which made him a + defender. Polley really struggles with his lateral movement sometimes, but has great strait line speed and length.

If we could only have Polley convince Vital to copy his approach and stop dribbling and just be a spot up shooter, we'd really have something going.

Reaction Score
I just want to second or twelfth the statement that Polley looks like a totally different guy out on the court this season. The confidence is visible, and even his body is already looking pretty toned compared to his stringbean situation last year. I think that Polley is going to be a Hilton Armstrong type for us in 2 more years, a guy who came in not expected to be much of an asset, and will leave an NBA first round pick with a shot in the league. He's just so efficient already, like people have said, he's not taking over games but we don't need that, he is going to be there to make the smart play and finish his shots at a high percentage. If they can continue to improve on his defense, even better!

Reaction Score

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Giffey is a perfect comparison to Polley. They both know who they are and how to play within their role, have an exceptional ability to shoot the 3, and can make plays on defense.

The biggest difference is that Giffey's athleticism was his exceptional lateral movement at his size, which made him a + defender. Polley really struggles with his lateral movement sometimes, but has great strait line speed and length.

If we could only have Polley convince Vital to copy his approach and stop dribbling and just be a spot up shooter, we'd really have something going.

Polley still has a long way to go to get to Giffey's level defensively, but on offense he reminds me a TON of Niels.

Reaction Score
My two cents....Polley is an outstanding first front line guy off the bench who can play adequate D and provide a scoring spark. IMO he does not need to start to be an important contributor throughout his career.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Agree with some excellent posts on this thread. I was not a believer in Polley last year... to weak physically, limited athleticism. Like others, I have been surprised by his progress this year. If he can become a consistent knock down three point shooter and develop a mid range shot, he will be a player we remember well. There is one factor that has not been raised yet, I noticed it the first time I saw him this year... his hair cut and the goatee make him look bad-ass... I almost didn't recognize him from last year's wide-eyed, clean cut freshman look. The look fits his new game. Given Hurley's ability to develop kids in the right ways, he probably advised this as a first step in gaining confidence and toughening him up.
Doesn’t have Lamb’s bounce or freakish length. However , I think he has a higher motor.

Reaction Score
Every good team needs a guy who touches the ball as infrequently as Polley and is still an efficient scorer. Factor in his blocks this year, and he’s a steal. Really good player.
Poor mans Akok. Imagine them side by side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom