Tyler Polley | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I've not been in the chats much so I don't know if it's been discussed much there, but the improvement in Polley is immense. Instead of just floating around hoping to shoot a wide open 3, he's actually driving and aggressively attacking the rim. His defense is also vastly improved over last year. I think we're going to see great things from him over the next 3 years.

Reaction Score
I've not been in the chats much so I don't know if it's been discussed much there, but the improvement in Polley is immense. Instead of just floating around hoping to shoot a wide open 3, he's actually driving and aggressively attacking the rim. His defense is also vastly improved over last year. I think we're going to see great things from him over the next 3 years.

Yeah he’s improved a good deal. Long way to go but the positive development is really nice. His defense is better too minus the tough assignment on Cook.

A mid range game will be real important as he develops offensively. His handle also but he’s slowly becoming confident out there a good sign.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It's amazing what can happen when a 6'7" kid who is athletic and can shoot is properly coached.
Having said that, I think Sid and Mamadou will snatch minutes away from him eventually (although his shooting ability is quite valuable). And then who knows if we go big game hunting at the forward positions for 2019...
I love Polley though, I'm looking forward to seeing him continue to improve, and think he will just keep getting better and better.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Shooting 40% from 3 this year after shooting 41% from 3 last season. Hard to take someone off the floor that can stretch the D like that.

True, but if someone plays better D, and I've a hunch Sid will, then they'll get their share of minutes. D's paramount imo.

Reaction Score
True, but if someone plays better D, and I've a hunch Sid will, then they'll get their share of minutes. D's paramount imo.
No idea if Sid will play better defense, but Polley has been really good defensively. I don't see him losing many minutes because of defense. Maybe he goes from 25 to 20 but he's so important

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No idea if Sid will play better defense, but Polley has been really good defensively. I don't see him losing many minutes because of defense. Maybe he goes from 25 to 20 but he's so important

He's been OK, but against more athletic faster kids, he just doesn't have the foot speed.

Reaction Score
Last year Polley was shoot or pass. This year he is shoot, pass, or straight line drive, Big improvement so far. We need him to eventually develop some patience with the ball and the ability to make a jump stop and shoot a mid range or a floater. Even on fast breaks which he usually finishes, he is flying to the rim straight ahead and they all look awkward. We need Jalen or AG to teach him a euro step or at least a jump stop. I think he has some skill but a lot of the development depends on confidence.

Reaction Score
On the one hand, Polley lacks athleticism -- a completely immobile upper body and a shuffling step -- but on the other hand, that is not totally unlike DeAndre, who became a confident baseline driver as well as a corner sharpshooter. The current Polley will suffice on the 20-win team that UConn is beginning to look like, but if we aspire to more, we must hope that Sid is an improvement. In the best case scenario, our January edition will have Sid and Mamadou at the corners. That is our potential tournament team, in my view

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Yeah he’s improved a good deal. Long way to go but the positive development is really nice. His defense is better too minus the tough assignment on Cook.

A mid range game will be real important as he develops offensively. His handle also but he’s slowly becoming confident out there a good sign.
Agreed. However, I think Cook would of been a tough go for anybody the he played. I forget who they just played but they dismantled them. Ugly score.

Reaction Score
Shooting 40% from 3 this year after shooting 41% from 3 last season. Hard to take someone off the floor that can stretch the D like that.

He's gonna have some hot shooting games. He's not taking any bad shots, just letting the offense come to him, sharing the ball. On the break he's aggressive, not awkward, he's just finishing from 4 ft out with his length.

Reaction Score
Biggest difference from last year is his controlled confidence. When he has a good shot available, he takes it. However, his ego will never make him think he can take over a game and force a bad shot. I also like his willingness to take a hit, despite his frame.

I don't expect him to ever lead this team, but after his four years, he'll be a guy who we remember and say, "he was a pretty good player". With his size and range, reminds me a bit of Giffey. A quality four-year player.

Reaction Score
On the one hand, Polley lacks athleticism -- a completely immobile upper body and a shuffling step -- but on the other hand, that is not totally unlike DeAndre, who became a confident baseline driver as well as a corner sharpshooter. The current Polley will suffice on the 20-win team that UConn is beginning to look like, but if we aspire to more, we must hope that Sid is an improvement. In the best case scenario, our January edition will have Sid and Mamadou at the corners. That is our potential tournament team, in my view

Well said. Polley is much improved, and can be the 5th starter on a team competing for the AAC and a slot at the back of the Top 25, but is not talented enough to help us get all the way back.

That having been said, this team is not a great team. Competing for the league championship and a Top 25 ranking is the goal this year. Then let's see what the Staff can do when they start bringing in their classes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Polley's biggest need is strength. He's not going to be a quick perimeter lock down three. His best fit (assuming he fills out) will probably be as a three/stretch-four combo, who defends at the four.

As someone said above, he needs to slow down. This will come with experience, and the entire game slows for him, and subsequently, as his confidence grows. I'm not worried about that.

His growth from last year to this one is comforting. I was not sold on him last year, but if he continues this trajectory, he could be a very nice player as a Jr/Sr. A quality backup combo forward to guys like Akok/Sid.

Reaction Score
I think Polly has a lot more potential than many think. He is 5 games into sophomore year, and 5 games with a real coach.

I see so many people with this amazing belief that Sid Wilson is a huge upgrade. Where is this coming from ?? He has not played 1 second of college ball. Some keep saying once we get Sid he is going to take mins. Lets see him on the floor. I am sure he will be a solid player but he is not stepping on the floor a game changer. I think some will be disappointed.

Diarra is who he is... lets see him stay on the floor for 12 mins without fouling out..

We have a great foundation and Hurley is building something here. But Sid and Mamma are not Ray and Donyell

Reaction Score
If Jalen can play like Bazz and Gilbert like Boat, Polley can do a good enough imitation of Deandre to get deep into the tournament. Need Jalen to get to the foul line and make the half court offense work and Gilbert to be able to drive and finish/pass/get fouled. Polley is pretty young, he will be 20 about Final Four time, Deandre was about 22 when they won the championship as a junior (2 years older even though just a junior in 2013-14). Expect with effort and coaching and playing time Polley will more than hold his own on however good a UConn team he is on. Sid better be able to play to get minutes from Polley (maybe some of Sid's minutes come from Vital).

pj

Reaction Score
If Jalen can play like Bazz and Gilbert like Boat, Polley can do a good enough imitation of Deandre to get deep into the tournament. Need Jalen to get to the foul line and make the half court offense work and Gilbert to be able to drive and finish/pass/get fouled. Polley is pretty young, he will be 20 about Final Four time, Deandre was about 22 when they won the championship as a junior (2 years older even though just a junior in 2013-14). Expect with effort and coaching and playing time Polley will more than hold his own on however good a UConn team he is on. Sid better be able to play to get minutes from Polley (maybe some of Sid's minutes come from Vital).

Wish I could believe this analogy to the 2014 team, but Tyler is at least 2 years away from being a shorter Deandre. Sid Wilson/Brendan Adams/Vital are at least 2 years away from being Giffey, and we have no 7 foot rim protector like Brimah.

Reaction Score
I see some Jeremy Lamb comparisons with Polley. With confidence he could develop into something special. Hurley will take advantage of his length/wing span on defense and the mismatch he presents on offense.

When he has that breakout game, which he is capable of, this team will becoming a force. The good thing is that he is surrounded by a group of players who encourage him, and keeps him engaged. Would be nice to see him improve his handle and play some wing (3) position. Then who can handle him?

I just can't want to see him get mean and nasty, abusing opponents on both ends!

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Agree with some excellent posts on this thread. I was not a believer in Polley last year... to weak physically, limited athleticism. Like others, I have been surprised by his progress this year. If he can become a consistent knock down three point shooter and develop a mid range shot, he will be a player we remember well. There is one factor that has not been raised yet, I noticed it the first time I saw him this year... his hair cut and the goatee make him look bad-ass... I almost didn't recognize him from last year's wide-eyed, clean cut freshman look. The look fits his new game. Given Hurley's ability to develop kids in the right ways, he probably advised this as a first step in gaining confidence and toughening him up.

Reaction Score

Wait, Chief says he hasn’t shown he can hit a jump shot. How can this be?

Reaction Score
With his body type-tall and lean- Polley should be sprinting down the floor on the break. Going right to the rim. Still needs to up the energy level. Being a reliable threat from 3 fills a big need for us.

Reaction Score
You all are severely underrating Polleys potential. He can be a better version of Giffey. And Giffey started on a championship team

Polley has huge upside. Maybe the highest cieling on the current roster. I love Giffey, but Polley's upside is higher, in my opinion. I will enjoy watching him develop. A little strength and confidence and he could wind up being a legit star.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom