Tyler Phommachanh injury | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyler Phommachanh injury

Reaction Score
Is he playing this week or not? Why are things like this always so difficult around here?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Is he playing this week or not? Why are things like this always so difficult around here?
Not playing....not playing again this season.... usual knee type injury that far too many lose a lot of time over.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not playing....not playing again this season.... usual knee type injury that far too many lose a lot of time over.
Has it been confirmed that it is his knee?

Reaction Score
If they drag out saying he’s done for the season and call him “out indefinitely” or “day to day”, it will just be to force opponents to game plan for him.
Then why say "out indefinitely?" If that were the strategy wouldn't you just say "out this week?" Or even "game time decision"?

Reaction Score
Then why say "out indefinitely?" If that were the strategy wouldn't you just say "out this week?" Or even "game time decision"?
Sure, you could say a lot of things. However, if they have no intention of him playing again this year, they could just say it. They haven’t said it, yet I don’t think they intend to burn a year of eligibility by playing him again. So, my assumption is they want to keep people guessing for now.

Reaction Score
Yeah reading tea leaves he’s done for the year
I'm not sure. I think if he was out for the year, they would say that now. He has played in 3 games, so he can play in 1 more and keep his redshirt. And, UConn has an odd schedule this year in which they have 2 bye weeks in a row in late Oct/early Nov. So, maybe they will see if he is able to play and then decide if it is worth it later in the season.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure. I think if he was out for the year, they would say that now. He has played in 3 games, so he can play in 1 more and keep his redshirt. And, UConn has an odd schedule this year in which they have 2 bye weeks in a row in late Oct/early Nov. So, maybe they will see if he is able to play and then decide if it is worth it later in the season.
I hear what your saying but if he misses that much time that he could possibly come back for the last game of the season, is it worth it? Yeah, he has another game left that keeps him under the red shirt rule but why risk the knee for one pointless, end of season game.

My hunch is we won't see him again this season.

Reaction Score
I hear what your saying but if he misses that much time that he could possibly come back for the last game of the season, is it worth it? Yeah, he has another game left that keeps him under the red shirt rule but why risk the knee for one pointless, end of season game.

If he is healthy at the end of the year, he still has some game time to play without blowing his redshirt. So getting him some reps would be good for him. Nice to get that first hit this year instead of waiting until next year. Helps keep his skills sharp and get him some additional experience. Sets up the QB competition for next year. All are positives.

Reaction Score
I just don’t see it unless he can come back with several games to play AND Steve isn’t playing well.

I expect Steve to be more than capable, so I don’t really see it happening unless things break just the right way.

Reaction Score
Indefinitely might mean this year and next!
In the good old days RB Terry Caulley suffered a non-contact knee injury about the 4th week of the season against VA Tech and missed the rest of that year and all of the following year. I believe TC was leading the nation in rushing at the time. Sure hope that'a not the case with Tyler Phommachanh.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
HIPAA ... likely won't know much beyond that. I expect a redshirt for Tyler Phommachanh.
When guys on the basketball team suffered serious injuries, Akok achilles, Bouknight elbow, Polley ACL, Gilbert shoulders, etc. the team was pretty open about it with the media (at least we knew the ailment and general timeline they were dealing with).

Is this just gamesmanship by the program to keep future opponents on their toes about our QB situation and using HIPAA as the excuse? Would this ultimately be TPs decision to not share publicly what is going on? Either way it is what it is, but I'm curious how that works and why football is tightlipped when basketball is (generally) open about these things when it also involves the same student athletes and HIPAA laws.

Reaction Score
Maybe something more like an mcl than acl which depending on severity could put him in situation where he will probably not play again this season, but there's an outside chance. Whereas acl no chance he comes back. If i remember right he got up and jogged off the field, not unheard of to see that with an acl, but rare.

I know I tore both my acl and mcl separate times. His reaction was basically identical to when i tore my mcl, including needing crutches later. ACL was very different. Just one anecdote, i know comparing myself to a division 1 athlete is dumb

Reaction Score
Did my Mcl in college with no treatment. Basically a contact where my ankle was under my hip. He seemed okay walking off but hope it he can recover quickly.

Reaction Score
When guys on the basketball team suffered serious injuries, Akok achilles, Bouknight elbow, Polley ACL, Gilbert shoulders, etc. the team was pretty open about it with the media (at least we knew the ailment and general timeline they were dealing with).

Is this just gamesmanship by the program to keep future opponents on their toes about our QB situation and using HIPAA as the excuse? Would this ultimately be TPs decision to not share publicly what is going on? Either way it is what it is, but I'm curious how that works and why football is tightlipped when basketball is (generally) open about these things when it also involves the same student athletes and HIPAA laws.
Has nothing to do with HIPAA. HIPAA applies only to "covered entities." They can of course ask for his permission to have an update, but the doctor is bound by HIPAA, not the coaches. They could be governed by student privacy laws, but I don't know how those change from football to basketball season.

Has any head coach ever gotten in trouble for telling the media that the star is out with an ACL tear?

I am somewhat of an expert on HIPAA after spending the last 18 months working on privacy material at a major health insurer explaining HIPAA. So I consider myself well versed. Check out what covered entities are and then next time someone says HIPAA tell them they are morons.

The doctor can't speak, though, without permission of person. But the coach relaying information? Well how the hell did the coach get it in the first place? The athlete actually has to give permission to the doctor to talk to the coach.

CMS is very clear on what a covered entity is. Just use this tool: Are You a Covered Entity? | CMS

The coach? He isn't a covered entity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with HIPAA. HIPAA applies only to "covered entities." They can of course ask for his permission to have an update, but the doctor is bound by HIPAA, not the coaches. They could be governed by student privacy laws, but I don't know how those change from football to basketball season.

Has any head coach ever gotten in trouble for telling the media that the star is out with an ACL tear?

I am somewhat of an expert on HIPAA after spending the last 18 months working on privacy material at a major health insurer explaining HIPAA. So I consider myself well versed. Check out what covered entities are and then next time someone says HIPAA tell them they are morons.

The doctor can't speak, though, without permission of person. But the coach relaying information? Well how the hell did the coach get it in the first place? The athlete actually has to give permission to the doctor to talk to the coach.

CMS is very clear on what a covered entity is. Just use this tool: Are You a Covered Entity? | CMS

The coach? He isn't a covered entity.
You are right about HIPAA, but I’m pretty sure that this has come up in the past and it is Student privacy rules that limit information released. Of course it could just be the coach doesn’t really want to give out too much. Look, we know he is hurt and has a knee injury and won’t play For a while. What difference does it make to us whether it’s a ACL, MCL, or he’s having a knee transplant, really? He ain’t playing.

Reaction Score
Has Tyler’s injury been confirmed? I thought I read ACL on the yard in the last 2 weeks, but I can‘t find it. If yes, has he had surgery?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom