Tyler Olander suspended for violating team rules | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tyler Olander suspended for violating team rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you follow him around and know he's been drunk exactly twice.
Think maybe drunk and driving a little different than drunk at party and sleeping it off?
Do you follow him around and know he's been drunk more than twice? Just because he makes stupid decisions when he's drunk doesn't mean he has an "alcohol problem." I have plenty of friends who make dumb decisions like Ty when they're drunk and they've been lucky to get away with it. I would never conclude that they're alcoholics because of that. He's dumb, he's not an alcoholic.

Reaction Score
It's very obvious he is dumb and not an alcoholic. If he's an alcoholic literally more than half of storrs is also. He might be depressed though, thinking more about his future since its his senior year. Might have to hand in that jock card soon.

Reaction Score
It's very obvious he is dumb and not an alcoholic. If he's an alcoholic literally more than half of storrs is also. He might be depressed though, thinking more about his future since its his senior year. Might have to hand in that jock card soon.
The thing is we don't know. No one on this board knows what issues Tyler has and that's how it should be. I do worry, though, if he is allowed to return that he develops a "duck* this" type of attitude because of the bad breaks he's been getting. (Along with not regaining his captainship and most likely losing a lot of playing time to Phil and Kentan.) Not to mention the fact that his fanbase, for the most part, is pretty terrible to him and it is especially evident in the students. There are some students who will support Ty and anyone else on this team through thick and thin, but sadly the majority of the students have a terrible attitude towards him. In fact, I almost got into a fight with a kid at a game last year after he repeatedly kept saying "Ty duck*ing sucks!!" Olander dunked on the next play, i turned to the kid and told him to shut his mouth.

Anyways, all of these things may factor into that "f this" attitude and that's when I will really start to get upset with Tyler Olander. I hope this doesn't happen.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I have no clue why people are saying that he has an alcohol problem. He's been drunk twice in college??? NOOOOO... Alcoholic...

al·co·hol·ic
[ àlkə háwlik ]
1. containing alcohol: relating to or containing alcohol
2. caused by alcohol: caused by alcohol consumption
3. addicted to alcohol: addicted to drinking beverages containing alcohol
4. someone you don't like, who drinks beverages containing alcohol as much as
you do

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
This sounds crazy, but of all drug laws, the ones involving alcohol are the ones we need to enforce the most.

Alcohol is a blunt instrument to the brain. It suppresses neural function within moments of consumption to the effect of turning off basic functionality - such as the ability to assess risk, keep control of the muscles, and confuses sensory perception in small doses. With all that basic functionality compromised, how dumb is it to then climb behind the wheel of a 2000 lb pile of steel and glass and propel yourself down the road?

It should be common knowledge. Make up a nursery rhyme and teach it to kids. Make it so every drunk person remembers.

Tyler needs to be convinced of the seriousness of his folly. And it should take whatever it takes to make that so.

(Full disclosure: I've lost the two men I hoped to someday be most like to drunk driving, my 24 year old older brother and my 64 year old uncle. )

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It should be common knowledge. Make up a nursery rhyme and teach it to kids. Make it so every drunk person remembers.

Hibbity bibbity hibbity bive.
If you are drunk you must not drive.
Hibbity bibbity hibbity bay
or for Kevin Ollie you will not play.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This sounds crazy, but of all drug laws, the ones involving alcohol are the ones we need to enforce the most.

Alcohol is a blunt instrument to the brain. It suppresses neural function within moments of consumption to the effect of turning off basic functionality - such as the ability to assess risk, keep control of the muscles, and confuses sensory perception in small doses. With all that basic functionality compromised, how dumb is it to then climb behind the wheel of a 2000 lb pile of steel and glass and propel yourself down the road?

Tyler needs to be convinced of the seriousness of his folly. And it should take whatever it takes to make that so.

(Full disclosure: I've lost the two men I hoped to someday be most like to drunk driving, my 24 year old older brother and my 64 year old uncle. )
Sorry about your losses. My uncle was in a severe crash because someone was texting and ran through a light.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately, our lawmakers are dependent on money for re-election. Beverage manufacturers want sales and support candidates. Therefore, the law says "under the influence." There is, thus, an issue of what impact drinking has on a person. 30 years ago in CT the DUI standard was a blood alcohol level of 0.15, today it is 0.08. In other words, people were allowed to drive home back in the day at levels nearly twice what gets you arrested today.

Captain Morgan, 4 Loco, Budweiser, etc., for example, doesn't want it to be 0.01. But, if the law were you cannot drink alcohol and drive, it would get a lot easier for the judicial system and a lot safe, if not as much fun. If the law is gonna change to the Swedish standard, be sure to invest in a cab company.

Reaction Score
Both situations and players don't deserve to play for UConn.

Also, I believe charges were dropped on Wolfe, huge difference than being acquitted.

Being acquitted would mean that there was an expensive trial at which the state failed to prove that the defendant was guilty of a charged crime.

Enosch probably had the charges 'dropped' after completing the family violence program. It was a family case because his girlfriend was the victim.

The program is one of many get out of jail free cards or statutory second chances permitted in CT. For the most part, you only get one. You do not get to ask for accelerated rehabilitation after using the family violence program, for example.

Another such program is the alcohol education program which leads to a dismissal of DUI charges in CT. I'd bet that is what Tyler will petition the court for, unless there is a defense to be made on some factual issue.

One requires learning about the dangers of family violence and controlling anger. The other involves learning about the dangers of DUI and alcohol use generally.

The prior charges against Olander in FL were about trespass and were dismissed. I am sure that resort areas have many such cases and that most result in dismissals or small fines. The local police simply want to restore order as quickly as possible. Rehabilitating an offender in an out of state trespass case not something that a state is willing to spent money on.

I suppose one could argue that Wolfe's transgression is more serious because he assaulted someone. Alternatively, depending on facts we cannot know, some might argue that Olander risked more seriously injuring many.

Overall, I think the two CT incidents were relatively minor and equivalent. The FL trespassing case is even more minor that those two violations.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why?

Read what Goat said basically, it's a couple posts above.

The difference to me is that the gf could be too emotionally caught up to make a rational decision (dropping charges) or she could've felt pressure to drop the charges. All the while, Wolf could've actually smacked her around.

Acquitted would mean his actions or rather non actions stood up in court.

Reaction Score
The thing is we don't know. No one on this board knows what issues Tyler has and that's how it should be. I do worry, though, if he is allowed to return that he develops a "f* this" type of attitude because of the bad breaks he's been getting.

The "bad breaks" he's been getting are entirely of his own making. You might notice the other kids on the team have been out doing crazy things like working on their game, taking classes, and not getting arrested. It's not that hard.

This thread is funny. Maybe Jeff Goodman hacked into the DMV database and erased any record of Tyler's license. Then, maybe Ed Cooley hid in the bushes and hit Tyler with a tranquilizer full of rum when he saw a police car nearby.

Reaction Score
Wonder what those 4/5s that passed on UConn this year due to perceptions of playing time are thinking?????

Reaction Score
The "bad breaks" he's been getting are entirely of his own making. You might notice the other kids on the team have been out doing crazy things like working on their game, taking classes, and not getting arrested. It's not that hard.

This thread is funny. Maybe Jeff Goodman hacked into the DMV database and erased any record of Tyler's license. Then, maybe Ed Cooley hid in the bushes and hit Tyler with a tranquilizer full of rum when he saw a police car nearby.

I realize that. Not disputing that at all. Tyler is very, very stupid. But it's not like the other kids on the team stay in every single weekend and read textbooks to each other - they're at parties. I see them there. And for what its worth I actually haven't seen Ty at them in my 3 years of being here.

I'm not defending Tyler's actions at all - he's an idiot and should be punished properly. But please don't try and make it seem like he's the only one on the team that goes out and drinks on the weekends. He's just the only one dumb enough to drink and drive.

U

UCONNfan1

I realize that. Not disputing that at all. Tyler is very, very stupid. But it's not like the other kids on the team stay in every single weekend and read textbooks to each other - they're at parties. I see them there. And for what its worth I actually haven't seen Ty at them in my 3 years of being here.

I'm not defending Tyler's actions at all - he's an idiot and should be punished properly. But please don't try and make it seem like he's the only one on the team that goes out and drinks on the weekends. He's just the only one dumb enough to drink and drive.
In a way, I think that's exactly the point. Drink, puke, make an ass out of yourself, but drink and drive? And this is his 2nd offense? Moron (Olander, not you...!)

Reaction Score
It's going to end up driving without a license, still stupid tho. He should be allowed back with zero tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom