Tyler Olander is gonna be the new Ed Nelson. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyler Olander is gonna be the new Ed Nelson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
While Ed has the 1st years stats in his favor, I agree with Goonie that Tyler has had more impact than Ed ever had. Was it the Pitt game where he made a few early jumpers to help get the team's head out of it's collective tookus? Reminded me of Ricky Moore against Duke. And his offensive rebound, shuffle to Lamb for the 3 was the dagger in the Butler game.

Reaction Score
Since I seem to have started this mess, I will add a little more. Ed was good at GTech. He transferred to UCONN and beefed up a lot. By the time he saw the court for us he was slow and out of sync. He could barely get off the ground anymore and when he was under the hoop he struggled despite his size due to his loss of quickness and leaping ability. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Ed had an injury that grounded him it was so bad. A

ll that said, basketball is about more than points. Tyler did a lot of things for us and has more skills than Ed. Tyler would have been able to score 8 pts/game on a lesser team simply by taking 5-6 10 foot jumpers per game and playing cleanup down low. Ed couldn't shoot a jumper. Tyler is just a better overall player than Ed, IMO. I can see why someone else might disagree, but I think I am right.

Reaction Score
Since I seem to have started this mess, I will add a little more. Ed was good at GTech. He transferred to UCONN and beefed up a lot. By the time he saw the court for us he was slow and out of sync. He could barely get off the ground anymore and when he was under the hoop he struggled despite his size due to his loss of quickness and leaping ability. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Ed had an injury that grounded him it was so bad. A

ll that said, basketball is about more than points. Tyler did a lot of things for us and has more skills than Ed. Tyler would have been able to score 8 pts/game on a lesser team simply by taking 5-6 10 foot jumpers per game and playing cleanup down low. Ed couldn't shoot a jumper. Tyler is just a better overall player than Ed, IMO. I can see why someone else might disagree, but I think I am right.

1. Tyler's play as a frosh was nowhere, nowhere near the level of play that Nelson put forth as Ga Tech as a frosh. Not even comparable.

2. That having been said, Nelson never contributed that much once he transferred to UConn, and I fully expect Olander to do more for us than Nelson did.

Reaction Score
That I do agree on. Although TO's hair is much nicer than EN's.

Tyler_Olander_Uconn.jpg

No homo, I prefer the bald look to the free flowing mane. EN was the freaking man

Reaction Score
1. Tyler's play as a frosh was nowhere, nowhere near the level of play that Nelson put forth as Ga Tech as a frosh. Not even comparable.

2. That having been said, Nelson never contributed that much once he transferred to UConn, and I fully expect Olander to do more for us than Nelson did.

Did I say Tyler's play was comparable to Ed's as a freshman? No. I did say Tyler could have put up 8 points per game on a lesser team. The team Ed scored 8 points a game for was sub 500 or something along those lines. The difference in talent was huge.

I did say that Tyler is a better player than Ed and I stand by it. He has more skills. Tyler does everything better than Ed except rebound and Ed's ability to rebound was limited to his freshman year. Our team was stacked last season. There wasn't near the opportunity to score or develop that there was at Tech in 2001.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Tyler's a nice kid but some of these comments are crazy. He spent the vast majority of the season being a complete non-factor, and now he "does everything better" than Ed Nelson? Our frontcourt was stacked last season? Charles Okwandu kept Tyler from showing off his vast skill set? I hope you can at least appreciate how absurd that sounds.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Tyler's a nice kid but some of these comments are crazy. He spent the vast majority of the season being a complete non-factor, and now he "does everything better" than Ed Nelson? Our frontcourt was stacked last season? Charles Okwandu kept Tyler from showing off his vast skill set? I hope you can at least appreciate how absurd that sounds.

Alex Oriahki, Roscoe Smith, Charles Okwandu, Jeremy Lamb, Neils Giffey and Tyler Olander IS a stacked frontcourt, good enough to win a national championship with for that matter. If you don't think it is, it is because you are a spoiled UConn fan or you are Ed Nelson himself. When you can produce an Ed Nelson highlight tape in which he is wearing a UConn uni, I will look at it and if necessary, eat crow. Ed did almost nothing at UConn. Nice kid, great personality, not much of a ball player at UConn. Did Ed shoot better than Tyler? No. Dribble better? No. Defend better? No. Rebound better? Not sure.

The Ed Nelson some people remember never played at UConn. I would love JC to tell us his thoughts on who is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom