2024 Recruiting: - Tyler Betsey down to 7 schools | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tyler Betsey down to 7 schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's insane he didn't recognize Bagley and Adams. There were so many great CT players back then and most of them went somewhere else.
He didn't miss, neither of those guys could get in.

Reaction Score
I get it. That’s funny. Well, not really. Kelley’s rap sheet screams career criminal. For those, who need a refresher, here you go….

I was coached by his brother(Larry) and I’ve met him many times. He’s a great guy. He was young and dumb. But in the grand scheme of things he’s a career good guy

Reaction Score
Please explain how BC was able to get Bagley admitted?

I knew a couple of players from Central back then (they were a perennial preseason top five D2 team that would flame out late in the year) who were convinced Bagley (who was committed there) would win them a national title or two. When I asked if he could play at UConn, I was told he'd be UConn's best player from day one (we had Corny & McKay with Aleksinas transferring in). I then asked why he wasn't going to UConn and was told Perno didn't want him. He spent a year chasing his tail, trying to get Rod Foster, who had zero interest, and overlooked every other PG out there, even McKay's HS teammate. Very late in the process (I believe more than a month after the Magic/Bird title game) it was announced he was going to BC.

If you can provide some plausible reasoning as to how he got into BC but couldn't get into UConn, four and a half decades ago (we weren't in the same galaxy academically back then), I'll take your word for it. Until then I'll take the word of my source from my very early college days.
Don’t take my word for it. Ask Dom’s assistant coach Jim O’Brien. I have no idea why BC was able to get Bagley and Adams admitted and UConn wouldn’t admit them. I do know that was the case.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's insane he didn't recognize Bagley and Adams. There were so many great CT players back then and most of them went somewhere else.
What's really insane is that he kept his job for another 7 seasons after that. Maybe if the AD's office wasn't in another time zone.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The 'couldn't get admitted' part, from what I've been told from my college days (the same as Corny & McKay) was spin after the fact when the colossal error Perno made became apparant.
This make sense to me, FWIW.

Reaction Score
A 9 yr old me had a youth league shirt w a number 5 on it..after the blue white scrimmage at Southington HS .. McKay slapped me 5 and signed an autograph “from one #5 to another …”
so, if I’m asked who my favorite Husky player of all time was…easy.. McKay

Reaction Score
Please explain how BC was able to get Bagley admitted?

I knew a couple of players from Central back then (they were a perennial preseason top five D2 team that would flame out late in the year) who were convinced Bagley (who was committed there) would win them a national title or two. When I asked if he could play at UConn, I was told he'd be UConn's best player from day one (we had Corny & McKay with Aleksinas transferring in). I then asked why he wasn't going to UConn and was told Perno didn't want him. He spent a year chasing his tail, trying to get Rod Foster, who had zero interest, and overlooked every other PG out there, even McKay's HS teammate. Very late in the process (I believe more than a month after the Magic/Bird title game) it was announced he was going to BC.

If you can provide some plausible reasoning as to how he got into BC but couldn't get into UConn, four and a half decades ago (we weren't in the same galaxy academically back then), I'll take your word for it. Until then I'll take the word of my source from my very early college days.
Notre Dame got Tony Rice admitted and he was a Prop 48. Lou Holtz told the president that he gave the family his word and they relaxed the rules. Stuff happens sometimes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This thread is off the rails.
Agreed. My apologies for the role I played in this.

Notre Dame got Tony Rice admitted and he was a Prop 48. Lou Holtz told the president that he gave the family his word and they relaxed the rules. Stuff happens sometimes.

If you would like to discuss this further please start a thread on it. I'll respond to that as soon as reasonably possible, but not in this thread.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Who is tyler betsy, thought this was his thread
90% of the threads are like the spotted lantern fly.
They start off interesting
IMG_8670.jpeg

Then end out of control
IMG_8671.jpeg

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
John Foley - football and Keith Robinson - basketball were the other athletes who sat out in '86 due to Prop. 48.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I heard different. Mike McKay was a teammate of his at Harding and wasnt a fan of Perno.
McKay bumped heads with Perno during his tenure here and did not seem to respect him. That's one of many reasons why I think that team would've benefited from being coached by Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Are we starting to lose the battle with Tyler -- is that narrative just part of the social media game?

Cincinnati? Really?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
McKay bumped heads with Perno during his tenure here and did not seem to respect him. That's one of many reasons why I think that team would've benefited from being coached by Jim Calhoun.
Calhoun > Perno applies to any team, anywhere, ever.

Reaction Score

3. UCONN​

A few months back, you could have made the case for the Huskies as the leader but things on that front seem to have changed. Does UConn still have a fighting chance? Sure. But would it be at least mildly surprising if Betsey landed in Storrs? Indeed, it would.
The four-star wing visited over the summer but has not been back as of late and doesn’t seem to have a return trip on the schedule. Dan Hurley’s team has a much better chance than any program appearing underneath it on this list, but actually landing Betsey’s pledge is gonna take a lucky break or two down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Lots of High School talent back then in Connecticut. Rocket Rod Foster, Pinone, Harold Jensen, Gminski, and let’s not forget Norman Bailly who did go to UConn but Perno mishandled him. I always said if Bailly had gone to Georgetown and played for John Thompson, the kid would’ve blossomed.

Reaction Score
Obviously trust Hurley and the staff, but it's interesting that it seems like we're really only recruiting three guys (Flagg, Betsey, Ngongba) right now for (probably) two spots, and it seems like we're not necessarily in the driver's seat for any of them. Hoping we get some clarity before the season starts and then can always pivot in the spring, or hit the transfer portal maybe a little harder than we had intended.

Reaction Score
we're really only recruiting three guys (Flagg, Betsey, Ngongba) right now for (probably) two spots
i think it's probably at least 4 spots so we're gonna have to hit the portal hard regardless.

we have 2 spots open now but that doesnt include clingan and castle leaving after this season. might lose karaban too. who knows if samson comes back for his senior year. could be up to 6 open spots...

ideally we land at least 1 of those 3 guys meaning a 3 recruit class and between 1-3 transfers.

Reaction Score

3. UCONN​

A few months back, you could have made the case for the Huskies as the leader but things on that front seem to have changed. Does UConn still have a fighting chance? Sure. But would it be at least mildly surprising if Betsey landed in Storrs? Indeed, it would.
The four-star wing visited over the summer but has not been back as of late and doesn’t seem to have a return trip on the schedule. Dan Hurley’s team has a much better chance than any program appearing underneath it on this list, but actually landing Betsey’s pledge is gonna take a lucky break or two down the stretch.

A lucky break or two? Recruiting is not like a fumble in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom