Ty-Meer Brown to play at BC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ty-Meer Brown to play at BC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe Addazio can help Brown as much as he helped Aaron Hernandez.

Reaction Score
Hiring Adazzio was about keeping guys in New England from leaving to other P5 conferences (schools like UVA, Northwestern, Michigan have come to Massachusetts specifically and pulled guys), not uconn.

BCs recruiting against uconn played no part in the hire and would be foolishly short sighted as uconn couldn't even out-recruit Spaziani in the northeast area once the program had bottomed.

So BC wants to use kids with no concern for the risks they take with longterm health. Be proud.

By the way, Boyle and Cochran. Two UConn commits who spurned BC.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Well, if you believe that BC is inherently evil and does not care about its student athletes health and welfare, it could easily be understood from that perspective it would seem to me. On the other hand, it is equally plausable that none of us has sufficient information on the medical condition to effectively evaluate the apparent difference of opinion from the medical community as they evaluate this athlete, and as he, his parents, and the school make their decision as to whether or not he is sufficienly fit enough to play football again..

There is definitely a grey area here that UConn wasn't willing to play in, yet BC was. Do you agree with that? Not sure if that makes BC 'inherently evil", but it definitely makes you question how much BC is concerned about the welfare of their athletes. Think about it...why would UConn want to not let a strong contributor on a bad team play? UConn has long history (and investment) with Brown and they know much more than BC about his condition. UConn also is coming off a bad year and really could use a strong player like Brown on the team. Yet..UConn says no to his return.

I think no matter how you look at this, it doesn't improve the perception that Adazzio is about winning at all costs. And it also appears Adazzio is all about winning right now at all costs (Phillips and now Brown). He is not building for the long term. He is trying to use this job to jettison out of BC as fast as possible. I know that Diaco has the same ambition, but he appears to be doing it the right way and he is not poaching players from other rosters to play one year.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
Addazio took Hernandez away from his brother and mother and put him into a culture at Florida where he went badly off the rails.

Oh, you mean football, you probably didn't notice the man Aaron Hernadez turned into.

Holy. Cow.

Reaction Score
Addazio took Hernandez away from his brother and mother and put him into a culture at Florida where he went badly off the rails.

Oh, you mean football, you probably didn't notice the man Aaron Hernadez turned into.

I'm not a Florida fan, nor an Aaron Hernandez apologist, but your constant drum beating against anything related to Florida as if they encouraged him to be a murderer is out of control.

One of the friends who was there the night they killed Odin Lloyd was from Bristol. His cousin was involved, another Florida connection? The kid grew up with plenty of negative influences in and around Bristol, he didn't go to Florida and decide to turn into a murderer. You're being f9cking ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Interesting situation.

It seems UCONN took a medical pass on the player and Boston College has not. If publicly available info and the young man's own words in media are to be trusted.

I hope the young man has been advised well enough to get at least one, if not multiple, independant medical opinions before he puts a helmet on and goes full speed contact again.

Reaction Score
Well no one is forcing the kid to play. I wouldn't let him if he was my kid, but his father clearly has background on the situation and they are deciding to play.

You'd hope it was somebody with actual medical training, and letters after their name, with good reason to give the advice to put a helmet back on, that Ty-Meer is trusting.

Reaction Score
I just hope he doesn't get hurt. Other than that, I really don't care if he's going to BC.

Agreed.

The only issue I can come up with here with regards to UCONN moving forward, is a complete internal evaluation to make sure our medical staff is not operating too much under the malpractice CYA mode, rather than just operating under maintaining the best interests of the student-athletic patients they evaluate and treat.

Given the track record of things, thinking of guys like Osiecki, and Kevin Friend, and going back to Lutrus - it seems that head, neck, nerve spinal cord type conditions are not going to be treated lightly, and they should not be.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

The only issue I can come up with here with regards to UCONN moving forward, is a complete internal evaluation to make sure our medical staff is not operating too much under the malpractice CYA mode, rather than just operating under maintaining the best interests of the student-athletic patients they evaluate and treat.

Given the track record of things, thinking of guys like Osiecki, and Kevin Friend, and going back to Lutrus - it seems that head, neck, nerve spinal cord type conditions are not going to be treated lightly, and they should not be.
To answer your malpractice/CYA question look no further than Jimmy Bennett. They rebuilt his knees a few times, and he came back on to the field each time...only to fail a physical with the Bengals. In regards to the head/neck/spinal cord injury stance..like you said...they aren't treated lightly and while they may be in a CYA mode..it does put the athlete first. At the end of the day it has been shown especially at the NFL level that players are a disposable item.

Reaction Score
To answer your malpractice/CYA question look no further than Jimmy Bennett. They rebuilt his knees a few times, and he came back on to the field each time...only to fail a physical with the Bengals. In regards to the head/neck/spinal cord injury stance..like you said...they aren't treated lightly and while they may be in a CYA mode..it does put the athlete first. At the end of the day it has been shown especially at the NFL level that players are a disposable item.

I agree. I didn't mean to suggest that I do think we are doing anything hyper-reactive CYA at UCONN. All I can see, is that if a player is willing to put a helmet on elsewhere to play, when they've been told they shouldn't here - probably a good idea to self-evaluate what's going on - reaffirm the decision.

Bennett is a good example, I'm sure there are others. Pretty sure that Taylor Mack was held out with neck/shoulder/stinger stuff last season for a number of games.

Head, neck, spinal cord - I'm perfectly fine with less leeway than a surgically repaired knee. But I'm just a fan.....nevermind. :)

Reaction Score
I agree. I didn't mean to suggest that I do think we are doing anything hyper-reactive CYA at UCONN. All I can see, is that if a player is willing to put a helmet on elsewhere to play, when they've been told they shouldn't here - probably a good idea to self-evaluate what's going on - reaffirm the decision.

Bennett is a good example, I'm sure there are others. Pretty sure that Taylor Mack was held out with neck/shoulder/stinger stuff last season for a number of games.

Head, neck, spinal cord - I'm perfectly fine with less leeway than a surgically repaired knee. But I'm just a fan.....nevermind. :)

FDNY's answer is pretty good in that it highlights how the NFL is now trying to limit legal ramifications from injuries (as the concussion settlement came down). Colleges are looking at that and probably thinking the same thing.

Reaction Score
Interesting situation.

It seems UCONN took a medical pass on the player and Boston College has not. If publicly available info and the young man's own words in media are to be trusted.

I hope the young man has been advised well enough to get at least one, if not multiple, independant medical opinions before he puts a helmet on and goes full speed contact again.

He should run like hell if asked to sign a Waiver that:

1) Says we (BC) ain't responsible for nuthin, not no how,
2) Weighs more than he does, or
3) Not for nuthin, he should run if the word "waiver" comes up, at all.

Hell, if BC feels the need for a waiver, it should probably re-think things.

I've had, and been operated on, for spinal stenosis. As painful as the condition is, the post-op is worse. It's no fun. I damn near had to relearn to walk and it took 18- months for my hands to feel like I wasn't wearing gloves. I just hope everyone exercises caution.

If this being done with the future in mind, remember, the NFL runs from stenosis diagnoses.

Reaction Score

I don't know if this story could have turned out any different if Randy Edsall and DJ were in Aaron's life during these crucial years. Addazio though made him far more of an entitled "STAR" and that wasn't what Edsall's program was about. I firmly believe UConn COULD have been the path to a different Aaron Hernandez.

Reaction Score
I don't know if this story could have turned out any different if Randy Edsall and DJ were in Aaron's life during these crucial years. Addazio though made him far more of an entitled "STAR" and that wasn't what Edsall's program was about. I firmly believe UConn COULD have been the path to a different Aaron Hernandez.

In high school, Addazio gave the impression that football players were godlike and everyone else was to serve or to be stepped on. The fights over gym use in the fall when the weather was bad between the football team and every other team were legendary. He really did not like that the marching band got preferential treatment sometime with respect to field use. Heaven also help a football player who wanted to play another sport in the winter or spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom