TX AD on conference re-alignment | The Boneyard

TX AD on conference re-alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Addressing conference realignment, Dodds added: “I think you'll see a lot of movement but I don't think you'll see it in the five [BCS] conferences. The five strong conferences will play a huge role in how this thing rolls out.”

When reminded that the Big East is currently a BCS conference, Dodds said, “I don't know if they qualify as a BCS. They've lost a lot of strength.”

Sounds like the Big 12 stays at 10 or if they need two will be Louisville and Cincy.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...7202/texas-ad-no-compromise-on-playoff-models

Reaction Score
Jim Lamar@Jim_Lamar
For what it's worth, Big 12's Neinas & Iowa State's Pollard refused to rule out expansion when asked half-dozen different ways.

@Jim_Lamar
Associate editor of the Tallahassee Democrat

Reaction Score
Observer....

I'll bet you took your cousin to your senior prom. What was his name....?

Addressing conference realignment, Dodds added: “I think you'll see a lot of movement but I don't think you'll see it in the five [BCS] conferences. The five strong conferences will play a huge role in how this thing rolls out.”

When reminded that the Big East is currently a BCS conference, Dodds said, “I don't know if they qualify as a BCS. They've lost a lot of strength.”

Sounds like the Big 12 stays at 10 or if they need two will be Louisville and Cincy.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...7202/texas-ad-no-compromise-on-playoff-models

Reaction Score
Observer....

I'll bet you took your cousin to your senior prom. What was his name....?

Yes, attack the messenger and ignore the message.

Works every time.

BTW, his name was Annette and, no, I did not get lucky.

Reaction Score
OK, it's not about me and hope the mods understand that I am only replying to clarify where I stand although being accused of being a Syr fan is better than being accused of being a BC troll as happened last week. No love for the arrogance of BC; sort of like ND without the record of doing anything.

Basically, I am not a UConn grad and am only a fan because I have lived in Fairfield Coutny for 12 years now. As I have done in every city/state in which I have lived I 'adopt' the local teams, whether college or pro, and that is why I have interest in UConn. When I lived in Miami it was the hurricanes and the dolphins. Here the Giants, Yankees, etc. Closer to hartford would likely have been the Boston teams. Closest major college is UConn.

I do not live and die UConn sports although I am a fan of both FB and men's hoops. No interest in the chick side of hoops whether pro or college.

Sorry if I bug people when I point out facts and arguments that run counter to what is the conventional wisdom here as I have never been that good at drinking the Koolaid anywhere.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
OK, it's not about me and hope the mods understand that I am only replying to clarify where I stand although being accused of being a Syr fan is better than being accused of being a BC troll as happened last week. No love for the arrogance of BC; sort of like ND without the record of doing anything.

Basically, I am not a UConn grad and am only a fan because I have lived in Fairfield Coutny for 12 years now. As I have done in every city/state in which I have lived I 'adopt' the local teams, whether college or pro, and that is why I have interest in UConn. When I lived in Miami it was the hurricanes and the dolphins. Here the Giants, Yankees, etc. Closer to hartford would likely have been the Boston teams. Closest major college is UConn.

I do not live and die UConn sports although I am a fan of both FB and men's hoops. No interest in the chick side of hoops whether pro or college.

Sorry if I bug people when I point out facts and arguments that run counter to what is the conventional wisdom here as I have never been that good at drinking the Koolaid anywhere.

This is a serious question, you have no allegiance to anyone?? You truly take on the teams in which the city you live in supports? I know there are bandwagon fans but this is a different level because you just follow the teams in the area you live. So you could live in Cleveland and be an Indians/Cavs/Browns fan? Did you not watch sports growing up? You didn't have a team you live and died for? This really isn't an attack on you. I'm just curious how one gets to this state of fandom.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
FWIW I don't have a favorite NBA team. I was a UConn / Giants / Yankees fan since I was little but never got around to picking one NBA team to root for, I kind of liked the Showtime Lakers but also followed the Knicks and Jordan's bulls, but wouldn't say I any one of those teams was my team... when I was visiting my sister in SF one year the Warriors were in the playoffs I kind of adopted them for a week. I don't have one EPL team, I kind of prefer Liverpool and Tottenham to the other big clubs but I always thought if I spent some time in England I'd pick whatever club was nearby to support. So can kind of see what observer is talking about. I think it might depend on what age you become a fan, if you start following a club when you're a kid you're more likely to become a diehard, though I'm sure there are exceptions.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is a serious question, you have no allegiance to anyone?? You truly take on the teams in which the city you live in supports? I know there are bandwagon fans but this is a different level because you just follow the teams in the area you live. So you could live in Cleveland and be an Indians/Cavs/Browns fan? Did you not watch sports growing up? You didn't have a team you live and died for? This really isn't an attack on you. I'm just curious how one gets to this state of fandom.

When I lived somewhere else I started to follow some of the local teams, it makes sense to me. I was still a UConn and Giants fan but adopted NCSU because I had access to their games. If I lived in Cleveland I would go to a ton of Browns and Indians games even if I never was a true fan, I would certainly follow them.

It's different now with the internet and satellite, but it wasn't that long ago that following UConn from North Carolina wasn't too easy - I could get WTIC at night if I sat in my car, I had the police roll up on me and ask me what I was doing sitting in a vacant parking at night once.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
FWIW I don't have a favorite NBA team. I was a UConn / Giants / Yankees fan since I was little but never got around to picking one NBA team to root for, I kind of liked the Showtime Lakers but also followed the Knicks and Jordan's bulls, but wouldn't say I any one of those teams was my team... when I was visiting my sister in SF one year the Warriors were in the playoffs I kind of adopted them for a week. I don't have one EPL team, I kind of prefer Liverpool and Tottenham to the other big clubs but I always thought if I spent some time in England I'd pick whatever club was nearby to support. So can kind of see what observer is talking about. I think it might depend on what age you become a fan, if you start following a club when you're a kid you're more likely to become a diehard, though I'm sure there are exceptions.

I appreciate your classy attempt to diffuse the situation, but your story about not having a favorite NBA team would only work as a good analogy towards describing Observer if you found yourself constantly on an NBA chatboard in the NBA off-season....without having a favorite NBA team. Please don't tell me you do that, do you? :eek:

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Sportsline Question: "The base of power in college football exists with the Pac-12, Big Ten, SEC and Big 12?"

Texas AD Deloss Dodds answer: "It absolutely does that ...," Dodds said of the SEC/Big 12 bowl that kicks off in 2014. "It puts us in the role of being in the top four. That eliminates the ACC, Big East and Mountain West. That eliminates a lot of football teams, but you're accurate in what you're saying."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...n-and-feeling-its-oats-sitting-at-10-12-or-14

Reaction Score
It's unreal to see Texas and the SEC unite to possibly bump out the ACC. Big 12, B1G or bust.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sportsline Question: "The base of power in college football exists with the Pac-12, Big Ten, SEC and Big 12?"

Texas AD Deloss Dodds answer: "It absolutely does that ...," Dodds said of the SEC/Big 12 bowl that kicks off in 2014. "It puts us in the role of being in the top four. That eliminates the ACC, Big East and Mountain West. That eliminates a lot of football teams, but you're accurate in what you're saying."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...n-and-feeling-its-oats-sitting-at-10-12-or-14

That quote will be Exhibit I in any future anti-trust action. It is a phenomenally stupid thing for Dodds to say, because it makes every other action the Big Four leagues take even more incriminating.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
That quote will be Exhibit I in any future anti-trust action. It is a phenomenally stupid thing for Dodds to say, because it makes every other action the Big Four leagues take even more incriminating.
Completely agree.

Reaction Score
Why/how does the Pac-10 eliminate the ACC and Big East? Because of USC?

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is still a house of cards, and Neinas knows it, which is why he's trying to keep everybody sitting tight for a while. What Neinas has been able to do, is take a conference that was closer to failure about 8 months ago, than the Big EAst has ever been, and essentially put them in position to not be in violation of their existing broadcasting contracts for 2012. To my knowledge, there are still a couple of years to go on those contracts, and nothing is official to change those contracts......

THe rest of it? All the crap about the big 12? It's just a product of the same timing aroudn the value of sports broadcasting, that the Big East is also lined up for. Except that the big east, is actually going to be free to go to the open market in actually, a matter of weeks, while the big 12 and the rest, are still under contract with ESPN and partners, and basically, need to re-open negotiations in a closed environment.

BECAUSE - to my knowledge, the new television contract is still just a handshake for the Big 12, and has been for two months, and doesn't appear to be in ink anytime soon. Somebody prove me wrong, because I haven't read it or seen it officially inked anywhere yet. The whole grant of rights. THe whole thing.....still not official, and doesn't look like it will be official soon, and all the news I can find, came from what news agency???? Guess.

Anybody have info that says different about the big 12 TV deal? Love to see news that it's all official somewhere, maybe I've missed it.

Dodds? Dodds sits on the throne of the largest economic structure in intercollegiate athletics, and with what he's spouting to the media....?

Just goes to show that you don't have to be too smart, to find yourself in a position like Dodds is in. Texas will be fine, no matter what happens to the Big 12, or in the college football post season.

Reaction Score
Why/how does the Pac-10 eliminate the ACC and Big East? Because of USC?
Simple answer is Yes. there are certain teams that you can't risk having a great season and being left out of the picture and still have your champ be considered legitimate. It would be no different if Texas was left in a B-12 without Oklahoma. Think of it this way: If last year's results had been the result of the 4 team playoff, but USC was sitting at 13-0 or even 12-1 with a win in the Rose Bowl, not a soul on this earth outside of Tuskaloosa would consdier Alabama the undisputed national Champion. There is a list of schools in every conference for which you can't take the chance that they'll be left out. Except the Big East. and that is a huge problem.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When I lived somewhere else I started to follow some of the local teams, it makes sense to me. I was still a UConn and Giants fan but adopted NCSU because I had access to their games. If I lived in Cleveland I would go to a ton of Browns and Indians games even if I never was a true fan, I would certainly follow them.

It's different now with the internet and satellite, but it wasn't that long ago that following UConn from North Carolina wasn't too easy - I could get WTIC at night if I sat in my car, I had the police roll up on me and ask me what I was doing sitting in a vacant parking at night once.

I did the same in San Jose and in KC. Always rooted for Chiefs and Royals as my #2 anyway. Adopted the Sharks, and went to Giants games. I rooted for the Giants against the NL opponents, which is no harm for a Red Sox fan anyway. Of course became a KU basketball and football fan in law school, but when I went with friends to see UConn-Kansas at Kemper (we lost though ranked #2) I was in full UConn mode. Elevated UConn football over KU when we made the jump.

Reaction Score
Simple answer is Yes. there are certain teams that you can't risk having a great season and being left out of the picture and still have your champ be considered legitimate. It would be no different if Texas was left in a B-12 without Oklahoma. Think of it this way: If last year's results had been the result of the 4 team playoff, but USC was sitting at 13-0 or even 12-1 with a win in the Rose Bowl, not a soul on this earth outside of Tuskaloosa would consdier Alabama the undisputed national Champion. There is a list of schools in every conference for which you can't take the chance that they'll be left out. Except the Big East. and that is a huge problem.

The difference between the Pac-10 and the ACC is 10 years. In 2000, Florida St was formidable. USC sucked.

Odd way to make permanent judgements about conferences.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
BECAUSE - to my knowledge, the new television contract is still just a handshake for the Big 12, and has been for two months, and doesn't appear to be in ink anytime soon. Somebody prove me wrong, because I haven't read it or seen it officially inked anywhere yet. The whole grant of rights. THe whole thing.....still not official, and doesn't look like it will be official soon, and all the news I can find, came from what news agency???? Guess.

The comments from the meetings are that the GOR is coming along nicely. I don't see a big issue there as they are fine tuning some stuff including the digital rights and we know expansion is an issue based on the final approval of the BCS playoff strategy. This was released yesterday:

>> The Big 12 has agreed to a 13-year television contract with ESPN for first-tier rights, but the deal isn’t done.
Big 12 officials say it’s simply a matter of time, and when the contracts are signed, the conference will reap a windfall of $2.56 billion from ESPN and Fox, which has bought the league’s second-tier rights, through 2025.

The revenue should generate up to $20 million per school annually, and more income is expected from the recently announced Champions Bowl between the Big 12 and Southeastern Conference and the probable new college football playoff format. Both would be implemented for the 2014 season.

Expected with the ESPN agreement is an extension of the grant of rights to 13 years.

“The granting of rights is a foundation for stability,” said Burns Hargis, chairman of the Big 12 Board of Directors and Oklahoma State president. “Withdrawal fees are not necessarily an impediment to leaving. But leaving one’s TV revenues behind certainly is.

“I don’t think anybody is granting their rights under duress. I think we all see it as an essential step in the future of the conference.”<<

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/31/3636145/ncaa-president-emmert-praises.html#storylink=cpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom