Two more years of Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Two more years of Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
From my earlier thread on KML....what still amazes me is how hard she works to improve the few parts of her game that aren't already near perfect..!!

"This year, KML started all 38 games she played in. She managed to improve in almost every statistical category. KML led team in scoring, again, but raised her average to 17.6 points per game. Her 670 total points was an improvement by 17.8% over last season. Her rebounding total of 240 and assist total of 89 were better by 17% and 39% respectively. From there, the improvement gets downright scary. Compared to last year, she actually took fewer 3 pointers (240 vs. 242) and fewer total field goal attempts (458 vs. 470) this year. How did she score more points? Accuracy.

KML improved her field goal accuracy from 43.2% to 52.8%, her 3 pt shooting from 38.4% to 49.2% (best in the nation) and her free throw percentage from 83.3% to 89.5%!! Throw in a new low post game, better defense ( steals up from 47 to 57) and a team leading 30.2 minutes per game and KML just might be the Most Improved Player on the UConn squad."
David- your posts are terrific. Sounds redundant, but the facts you bring on a post are wonderful. It really proves a lot of what we think we see. When KML is on the floor, like every great player, everyone around her becomes a better player who will have more opportunities to succeed as a result. She also became very close to Kelly Farris, and I think she has a similar approach to the game of basketball.

Reaction Score
1-- I am most looking forward to Stewie. IMO she is the most exciting prospect. She has possibility of being best ever to play in UCONN History.

2- This year I expect KML to be a first team a/a again and also be in the running for NPOY. But I'm more excited about Stewie.

3-- 20/8 is a possibility but I don't think it will happen. I think Stewie will lead the team in scoring, and we'll have two seniors that will also look to score. If Bria doesn't have a good year then 20/8 from KML is stronger possibility. A lot will depend on how many shots Bria takes from the guard position and how well we can offensive rebound. Which would then give kick-out opportunities for KML.

4-- I think KML will be greatest 3 pt shooter in UCONN History.

5-- For me Stewie is the reason to buy tickets. Nearly everything I watched in NCAA Tourney I kept screaming "Wow!" and "Oh my god!" She was just a freshman.

With 9 players and a new conference.... I am sure there will be plenty of points for all to go around. Stewie will most likely be the player other teams try to shut down..... We have too many scoring threats next year.

Reaction Score
With 9 players and a new conference.... I am sure there will be plenty of points for all to go around. Stewie will most likely be the player other teams try to shut down..... We have too many scoring threats next year.
What do you mean by “plenty of points? Seveeteen points can also be “plenty of points.” Geno is going to call off the dogs early. He isn’t the type to deliberately run up the score – so this team will work on its half-court a lot.

Just as early season showed when Stewie looked at ease, so many teams are so small that Stewie will crush them inside. Anytime Stewie wants an outside shot – she can get it. Overplay her, she’ll backdoor and has such an enormous. extreme wingspan, you’ll be giving her an easy lane to the basket. She is too long too tall. Just as there was no real way to defend Maya or DT, you had to hope they miss, Stewie can be in that same class.
IMO this team a super opportunity to be among the greatest team’s ever in wcbb history. This greatness often has to do with one player that you really can’t defend. IMO Stewie has that potential even if defense look to key on her. You’ll need the perfect player with terrific team defense to really affect her. She has the potential to be that great.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What do you mean by “plenty of points? Seveeteen points can also be “plenty of points.” Geno is going to call off the dogs early. He isn’t the type to deliberately run up the score – so this team will work on its half-court a lot.

Just as early season showed when Stewie looked at ease, so many teams are so small that Stewie will crush them inside. Anytime Stewie wants an outside shot – she can get it. Overplay her, she’ll backdoor and has such an enormous. extreme wingspan, you’ll be giving her an easy lane to the basket. She is too long too tall. Just as there was no real way to defend Maya or DT, you had to hope they miss, Stewie can be in that same class.
IMO this team a super opportunity to be among the greatest team’s ever in wcbb history. This greatness often has to do with one player that you really can’t defend. IMO Stewie has that potential even if defense look to key on her. You’ll need the perfect player with terrific team defense to really affect her. She has the potential to be that great.
Even when Geno does call off the dogs, he doesn't mess with the defensive intensity, and with Uconn's team speed and length, steals and breakaway baskets will happen whoever is on the floor. And even using 20+ seconds when not getting a fast break, with the bench we have against mediocre teams the score will mount up quickly.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I arrived late to this thread because my OLD PC died a ghastly death a week ago and needed to be replaced. Old 'Yarders know of my early and sustained admiration for Kaleena so I can only share the views of the OP and others who appreciate her greatness. So for now I will merely repeat my incontestible evaluation of KML:

"Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis is unquestionably the very best player in wcbb of Mexican-American heritage."

Reaction Score
Even when Geno does call off the dogs, he doesn't mess with the defensive intensity, and with Uconn's team speed and length, steals and breakaway baskets will happen whoever is on the floor. And even using 20+ seconds when not getting a fast break, with the bench we have against mediocre teams the score will mount up quickly.

Even when we do get fastbreak baskets – the steals etc. We won’t have just one prime finisher off the break- we’ll have many. For example, I’m sure KML will want to help Bria as much as possible. Not just score for herself. KML is selfless. A great attribute. These players are like "sisters" to one another. They'll want Bria ot get back to her rightful a/a status. Bria is a scoring pg and a sg.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I arrived late to this thread because my OLD PC died a ghastly death a week ago and needed to be replaced. Old 'Yarders know of my early and sustained admiration for Kaleena so I can only share the views of the OP and others who appreciate her greatness. So for now I will merely repeat my incontestible evaluation of KML:

"Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis is unquestionably the very best player in wcbb of Mexican-American heritage."
Why does her greatness need a qualifier? I think she's probably top three regardless of heritage at the moment, and who knows, could garner a NPOY award next year. I think Shoni is the best player or Native American heritage, but she's not top three in the nation!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Meanwhile I am so hoping Ms. Banks has a really good return, if not immediately, still this season.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Why does her greatness need a qualifier? I think she's probably top three regardless of heritage at the moment, and who knows, could garner a NPOY award next year. I think Shoni is the best player or Native American heritage, but she's not top three in the nation!

Sara...is it possible that Kibs was using humor in his post? As in...

Reaction Score

She is Mexican????

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As great as this years team is we will see things we've never seen from any other UConn team. We will see a battle for NPOY between UConn players. Top 2 KML and Stewie. We will see more AAs then any other team in UConns history and WCBB history. We have more go to players then any team has ever had. Scoring less then 100 pts will be a disappointment for fans. The question will be how many games will UConn score under 90 pts. You will see games where UConn has multiple players with over 20 pts and multiple games with players scoring over 30 pts. Can KML and Stewie score 40 , 50 or more pts in a game. YES YES YES This team has everything you would want in a team.

This is a Dream Team. Most likely the greatest team WCBB has ever seen. They question is how good can they be. Every game has the potential to be a blow out. Duke UNC Stanford Louisville Maryland and ND are all good teams. UConn will have no mercy against them. The best thing about this team is? We have openings for new recruits. Plenty of spots on the roster with those graduating this at the end of this season. For those kids that want it...the opportunity is here to do something special with their careers and the door is open.

Who is the better player KML or Stewie? They play different positions I wont compare them. Theyre both great and the best at their positions. Both are 1st team AAs . Both are team mates. They are both players that could be the best player on any team in WCBB and UConn has them both.

I will end on this note. Most games this season will be boring because they will be complete blowouts. For those of you who watch them on TV I encourage you to get to a game or two and watch them in person. You have 2 years to see KML and Stewie play together. This is the Greatest time to be a UConn fan, show up and support them, don't miss the show.

Reaction Score
As great as this years team is we will see things we've never seen from any other UConn team. We will see a battle for NPOY between UConn players. Top 2 KML and Stewie. We will see more AAs then any other team in UConns history and WCBB history. We have more go to players then any team has ever had. Scoring less then 100 pts will be a disappointment for fans. The question will be how many games will UConn score under 90 pts. You will see games where UConn has multiple players with over 20 pts and multiple games with players scoring over 30 pts. Can KML and Stewie score 40 , 50 or more pts in a game. YES YES YES This team has everything you would want in a team.

This is a Dream Team. Most likely the greatest team WCBB has ever seen. They question is how good can they be. Every game has the potential to be a blow out. Duke UNC Stanford Louisville Maryland and ND are all good teams. UConn will have no mercy against them. The best thing about this team is? We have openings for new recruits. Plenty of spots on the roster with those graduating this at the end of this season. For those kids that want it...the opportunity is here to do something special with their careers and the door is open.

Who is the better player KML or Stewie? They play different positions I wont compare them. Theyre both great and the best at their positions. Both are 1st team AAs . Both are team mates. They are both players that could be the best player on any team in WCBB and UConn has them both.

I will end on this note. Most games this season will be boring because they will be complete blowouts. For those of you who watch them on TV I encourage you to get to a game or two and watch them in person. You have 2 years to see KML and Stewie play together. This is the Greatest time to be a UConn fan, show up and support them, don't miss the show.
You underestimate the team as usual:) I agree with everything you wrote

Reaction Score

There isn’t anything I agree with on this post except being many., many blowouts, and a great chance to be an all-time great team. Your post for me is a slap in the face for example to the 2002 team that arguably had the best 3 players in college in that one season. Further, there were 4 players from 2002 that made a/a. You think this team without a doubt is going to get 5? Without a doubt? If this team doesn’t get 100 points, you think most UCONN fans will be disappointed? o most of the posters on this board feel "points scored of 100" is there measurement for enjoyment? And I don’t think us blowing teams out will be boring for me.

A little respect for our past teams please. You are virtually giving them none. I know you like to go over-the-top. And it's fun. But it just bothers me a bit to slap the past. Please also respect the past.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
In a just world, we would have four first-team All-Americans next year. It is going to be a glorious team to watch. I wish I had a way to watch the games live, but the internet signal down here is so bad that the streaming money was simply wasted. We got to see maybe three games more or less live, along with a frustrating hodge-podge of distorted pixels, stop actions and blank screens.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
In a just world, we would have four first-team All-Americans next year. It is going to be a glorious team to watch. I wish I had a way to watch the games live, but the internet signal down here is so bad that the streaming money was simply wasted. We got to see maybe three games more or less live, along with a frustrating hodge-podge of distorted pixels, stop actions and blank screens.

Direct TV?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score

Tony C---- You got game- Right on! I just became a season ticket holder the last few years and am relatively new to the obneyard. But people that don't make the effort to see the "games/blow-outs" in person miss alot. You just don't get, or I just don't get the same feeling or enjoyment or appreciation from watching on TV vs being there. And If I am able to physically attend a game for $15, It is almost disrespectful not to attend. All the work and success Geno and the staff and the players have put in to this program, they deserve our attendance. You don't get the feel or sense of the movement on the floor to create what they create on offense, or get to see the anticipation of the great defensive plays on television many times. these great players that have chosen Uconn deserve our attendence no matter the opponent, obviously depending on weather, physical ability, and financial situation.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Direct TV?
Even the games on SNY??? they are archived also. then you can go somewhere with good line speed and enjoy. I hooked up games to my TV and they were great. This is when I was away from home and had to watch on SNY live streaming.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

I like to participate in Boneyard discussions but I abhor disagreeable or contentious back-and-forths. For example, someone may assert that Chiney is the best rebounder or Odyssey is the best dribbler. Lucas the best shooter. Stewie the best shot-blocker. And so on.

So I narrowed it down, facetiously, to what is, ahem, "uncontestible." And that is the reason I did the tongue-in-cheek thing about her Mexican heritage. Sorry you took offense.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I like to participate in Boneyard discussions but I abhor disagreeable or contentious back-and-forths. For example, someone may assert that Chiney is the best rebounder or Odyssey is the best dribbler. Lucas the best shooter. Stewie the best shot-blocker. And so on.

So I narrowed it down, facetiously, to what is, ahem, "uncontestible." And that is the reason I did the tongue-in-cheek thing about her Mexican heritage. Sorry you took offense.

Great to see you posting.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kib, admit it you are just a crank old sky jumper. Most of the rest of us are just cranky and old.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Tony C---- You got game- Right on! I just became a season ticket holder the last few years and am relatively new to the obneyard. But people that don't make the effort to see the "games/blow-outs" in person miss alot. You just don't get, or I just don't get the same feeling or enjoyment or appreciation from watching on TV vs being there. And If I am able to physically attend a game for $15, It is almost disrespectful not to attend. All the work and success Geno and the staff and the players have put in to this program, they deserve our attendance. You don't get the feel or sense of the movement on the floor to create what they create on offense, or get to see the anticipation of the great defensive plays on television many times. these great players that have chosen Uconn deserve our attendence no matter the opponent, obviously depending on weather, physical ability, and financial situation.

The official site does not yet have the league game schedule. If UCF is away, I can do my part in supporting our ladies in person, and get all those feelings of which you write.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
The official site does not yet have the league game schedule. If UCF is away, I can do my part in supporting our ladies in person, and get all those feelings of which you write.
Central florida- not south Florida-- USF was down there this year- but UCF is new - correct! Thanks for the rsvp!

Reaction Score
I change my mind- the more I think about it, highly possible she can average 20/8.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The thing about KML is the trend line. She just seems to getting better and better. Shooting, defense, BBIQ but most of all attitude. I'm very excited about watching her development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom