Two more years of Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis | The Boneyard

Two more years of Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Is it just me, or is this the most exciting prospect since Maya Moore's last two years, except she'll have more support as a senior than Maya did? This young woman is already set to be included on the Huskies of Honor. She can shoot lights out and rebound, and her defense and passing are nothing to sneeze at either. She's been good for 17 and 6 a game. How does she do as a junior? Is 20 and 8 a possibility? Is NPOY a possibility? Does she become the greatest three point Shooter in uconn history? Is she reason alone to buy tickets to Uconn games?

How can you not be thrilled to have two more years of this kid? I, for one, am ecstatic.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It's crazy how little recognition she seems to get, last year it was all the "Three to See" and at the end, Stewart. If I were a betting man (I do like betting, but I'm not a man!) I would put money on her ending up with three NC rings and at least one NPOY award. She's incredible.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Love Lewis, agree she's underrated, what's not to lick your chops at with regard Stewie.
But let's not forget Bria

In the Notre Dame game, when we were in a bit of a hiatus, her three, followed by a pull-up 2 after the Faris block, ignited the end of the first half run.

Then she did exactly the same thing in the Louisville game, with the score more or less even and the team not dominating, she hit two consecutive shots to ignite the 19-0 run that put the game out of reach.

I sense that Bria is going to have an amazing year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How about we say that in her 4th year she becomes the greatest 3-point shooter in NCAA women's history, as she passes Laurie Koehn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Love the OP and agree about the difference with Maya's last two years - a better comparison is probably Charles who had Maya coming along behind. And that is not to disrespect the classes that followed Maya because I love every one of our classes, but they did not include players that were in the running for NPOY awards. And BS, MT and MJ is one amazing class.
The future is brilliant and the present (except for the fact that we have no Uconn games - thank goodness for USA basketball!) is pretty special too.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Love Lewis, agree she's underrated, what's not to lick your chops at with regard Stewie.

In the Notre Dame game, when we were in a bit of a hiatus, her three, followed by a pull-up 2 after the Faris block, ignited the end of the first half run.

Then she did exactly the same thing in the Louisville game, with the score more or less even and the team not dominating, she hit two consecutive shots to ignite the 19-0 run that put the game out of reach.

Truth is you are all correct! KML plays like a veteran every night. Rarely makes a mistake. She really does it all relatively quietly . And Maya had a really young team and the worst thing was a lack of any depth on the bench. Kml won't have that problem. She is like Maya without the breathtaking athleticism- but she does it all on both ends of the court!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Milford and I have been excited for over 2yrs

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
From my earlier thread on KML....what still amazes me is how hard she works to improve the few parts of her game that aren't already near perfect..!!

"This year, KML started all 38 games she played in. She managed to improve in almost every statistical category. KML led team in scoring, again, but raised her average to 17.6 points per game. Her 670 total points was an improvement by 17.8% over last season. Her rebounding total of 240 and assist total of 89 were better by 17% and 39% respectively. From there, the improvement gets downright scary. Compared to last year, she actually took fewer 3 pointers (240 vs. 242) and fewer total field goal attempts (458 vs. 470) this year. How did she score more points? Accuracy.

KML improved her field goal accuracy from 43.2% to 52.8%, her 3 pt shooting from 38.4% to 49.2% (best in the nation) and her free throw percentage from 83.3% to 89.5%!! Throw in a new low post game, better defense ( steals up from 47 to 57) and a team leading 30.2 minutes per game and KML just might be the Most Improved Player on the UConn squad."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"What you and Milford do in private is one of our business"

DD, I think you may have a Freudian slip in your last post.
Fixed, and more about autocorrect than Freud.

Reaction Score
KML herself said that her biggest contribution last year was her consistency. Important in an athlete; important in any field for success. Being excellent and consistent is the perfect pair!

KML, Stewie, Bria--add Stef, Kia, Brianna, Morgan, Moriah, and we can talk about excellent play for any of them. And then to see what Saniya can do. . . Looking forward to another year of great play!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
KML herself said that her biggest contribution last year was her consistency. Important in an athlete; important in any field for success. Being excellent and consistent is the perfect pair!

KML, Stewie, Bria--add Stef, Kia, Brianna, Morgan, Moriah, and we can talk about excellent play for any of them. And then to see what Saniya can do. . . Looking forward to another year of great play!
Good point about her consistency. There were several games where she struggled from beyond the arc, but those were few and far between - after all, you have to be not only amazingly consistent, but accurate as well, to nail almost 50% of your 3-point attempts.

I have no doubt she's a 1st team AA, and would not be surprised to see her on the short list of 2 or 3 for NPOY. She's simply that good, and like everyone else, I can't wait to see what she does this year!

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
When I originally joined the BY in 08, I though it would be a four year stint. However, players like KML, Stewart, and even more so, the development of players like Stokes and Banks will keep me around a few more. I definitely see a potential run for a few more titles in the next four years. This A'ja Wilson could be another game changer and I hope she commits soon.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
From my earlier thread on KML....what still amazes me is how hard she works to improve the few parts of her game that aren't already near perfect..!!

"This year, KML started all 38 games she played in. She managed to improve in almost every statistical category. KML led team in scoring, again, but raised her average to 17.6 points per game. Her 670 total points was an improvement by 17.8% over last season. Her rebounding total of 240 and assist total of 89 were better by 17% and 39% respectively. From there, the improvement gets downright scary. Compared to last year, she actually took fewer 3 pointers (240 vs. 242) and fewer total field goal attempts (458 vs. 470) this year. How did she score more points? Accuracy.

KML improved her field goal accuracy from 43.2% to 52.8%, her 3 pt shooting from 38.4% to 49.2% (best in the nation) and her free throw percentage from 83.3% to 89.5%!! Throw in a new low post game, better defense ( steals up from 47 to 57) and a team leading 30.2 minutes per game and KML just might be the Most Improved Player on the UConn squad."

Great analysis, the numbers don't lie. I also think she is going to have 2 All American years coming up - and I can't wait to watch them :)

Reaction Score

You are right. That was the turning point of the game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Guys, I think I read that if excitement lasts more than 4 hours, you should see your doctor.
DaddyChoc and I have been excited about Kaleena for over 2 years. We knew that she was really, really good; was a superlative shooter; wanted to be great; and would work her butt off to become a complete player. In short, no one could replace the incomparable Maya Moore, but if I had to pick a recruit to fill a large part of that giant void, Kaleena was the exact player I wanted.

I guess after 2 YEARS of excitement, well, being an ardent Husky fan may be a condition requiring medical treatment.

I've been a bit busy, but I'm glad to see that the BY sense of humor and lack of respect haven't changed. :)

Reaction Score
I could not agree more that KML is one of the best players in the nation. Everyone was on the Stewart kick at the start of the year..... And then at the NCAA time. I however was a Kaleena fan since she came. Next season we will have so many scoring options what will the other teams do? Stop KML and Stewart is open. Stop Stewart and Dolson will hurt you. Those three on the floor together will be amazing.
I think next year more teams will try to stop Stewart and leave KML open. She is 107 threes away I believe from the uconn record.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The amazing thing next year is almost any player starter or bench is capable of putting up 20 on a given night.

Dolson, Hartley, KML, Stokes, Banks, Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, Chong, YIKES!!!

Reaction Score
KLM is the numbre uno without a doubt. It is her the reason I watch Uconn.

Reaction Score
Is it just me, or is this the most exciting prospect since Maya Moore's last two years, except she'll have more support as a senior than Maya did? This young woman is already set to be included on the Huskies of Honor. She can shoot lights out and rebound, and her defense and passing are nothing to sneeze at either. She's been good for 17 and 6 a game. How does she do as a junior? Is 20 and 8 a possibility? Is NPOY a possibility? Does she become the greatest three point Shooter in uconn history? Is she reason alone to buy tickets to Uconn games?

How can you not be thrilled to have two more years of this kid? I, for one, am ecstatic.
1-- I am most looking forward to Stewie. IMO she is the most exciting prospect. She has possibility of being best ever to play in UCONN History.

2- This year I expect KML to be a first team a/a again and also be in the running for NPOY. But I'm more excited about Stewie.

3-- 20/8 is a possibility but I don't think it will happen. I think Stewie will lead the team in scoring, and we'll have two seniors that will also look to score. If Bria doesn't have a good year then 20/8 from KML is stronger possibility. A lot will depend on how many shots Bria takes from the guard position and how well we can offensive rebound. Which would then give kick-out opportunities for KML.

4-- I think KML will be greatest 3 pt shooter in UCONN History.

5-- For me Stewie is the reason to buy tickets. Nearly everything I watched in NCAA Tourney I kept screaming "Wow!" and "Oh my god!" She was just a freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom