Two current athletic directors out of the mix for Auburn Tigers AD job. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Two current athletic directors out of the mix for Auburn Tigers AD job.

Reaction Score
From even a decade let alone a generation ago, old-time employer and employee loyalty's obviously changed dramatically. What some millennials may or may not prioritize or value is a different topic, but a few hundred thousand to a 1/2 million more bucks may enable sufficient flexibility and motivation for some ADs and others to consider changing jobs, relocating their families, taking on greater challenges and responsibilities, etc.

Whether Gen X or Y Benedict or Virginia Tech's AD pursued the Auburn AD role, potentially leveraged the prior possibility to restructure a UConn or VT contract, were or weren't directly considered by Auburn, etc. or not, few if any of us know now. But, the possibility of an SEC football school AD role versus a non-P5 AD role for a pretty highly respected good school, pretty darn good athletic program with many NCAA titles, etc. does not poo poo UConn. Like it or not almost in 2018, it simply highlights the relative importance of big-time P5 versus non-P5 programs - even one which realistically should be yet isn't P5 now. Thanks BCU, scUM, Free Shoes, Clemson!

Separate from the top AD salaries article linked above,"What makes a great athletic director? Sports Illustrated polled media members and the ADs themselves to find out who the best are and why. The resulting Aug 2017 SI article highlighting ADs' and media representatives' views on important criteria for quality ADs may be of interest.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm just being realistic. He's a football first guy and could go back to Auburn and make more money.

And for crying out loud, his kids wouldn't be going to school with Forrest Gump. At $500k+ a year I'm sure he could send them wherever he wants.

I don't have an inferiority complex regarding UConn's academic standing and what we've accomplished athletically, but we're talking about Auburn football here.

Yes, Rhett Lashlee left, but there were a lot more things in play is what my Auburn friend told me regarding his situation.

I think this board has discussed this previously but AU isn't a bad university. It's right about #100 and is a large research university. Ivy League? Not even close. But it's legit as a school.

Reaction Score
The first step to curing an inferiority complex is realizing you have something that other people find attractive. Why we put down UConn like its some kind of backwater J-off school is beyond me. It has a wonderful campus, great quality of life, top 20 public school, safe environment with a good professional challenge to build something while getting paid well. You want to raise a family in friggin Alabama at a remedial southern university, be my guest.

Both Alabama and Connecticut have great points and bad points...just like most states.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek
Top Bottom