Two current athletic directors out of the mix for Auburn Tigers AD job. | The Boneyard

Two current athletic directors out of the mix for Auburn Tigers AD job.

Reaction Score
Appears AD Dave is coming back...

2 current athletic directors out of the mix for Auburn AD job

>>Virginia Tech athletic director Whit Babcock is not seeking the position and UConn athletic director David Benedict, who restructured his contract earlier this week, is also out of the mix, according to multiple sources. >>

>>Both Babcock and Benedict previously worked at Auburn, whose search is being conducted with the assistance of Parker Executive Search and an advisory committee to president Steven Leath<<

Reaction Score
Fantastic, I view this as a bigger deal than many might. There is an energy and effort around Dave that has been lacking in the AD position for years. He's trying his heart out even as the fans check out and make his job harder. I like to think he feels he is going to bring them back no matter what it takes. We really don't want to have a change at AD any time soon. He's the best person for the job.

Reaction Score
There’s an energy and effort around Dave that has been lacking in the AD position for years. He's the best person for the job.
And he has a true believer in Pres Herbst. It’s no secret that throughout her stellar career she wasnt steeped in the athletic world. Thus she brought in Warde without a clear understanding of his strengths other than her belief he could fix our APR academic shortcomings. This time she looked for a different skillset. She knew the days of reckoning required it.

Reaction Score
And he has a true believer in Pres Herbst. It’s no secret that throughout her stellar career she wasnt steeped in the athletic world. Thus she brought in Warde without a clear understanding of his strengths other than her belief he could fix our APR academic shortcomings. This time she looked for a different skillset. She knew the days of reckoning required it.
Really feels like she was a step too late this time but there is no turning back the time. DB seems real solid at his job. Glad he's here regardless.

Reaction Score
If they offered him the job, he would have accepted.

Come on now.
The first step to curing an inferiority complex is realizing you have something that other people find attractive. Why we put down UConn like its some kind of backwater J-off school is beyond me. It has a wonderful campus, great quality of life, top 20 public school, safe environment with a good professional challenge to build something while getting paid well. You want to raise a family in friggin Alabama at a remedial southern university, be my guest.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The first step to curing an inferiority complex is realizing you have something that other people find attractive. Why we put down UConn like its some kind of backwater J-off school is beyond me. It has a wonderful campus, great quality of life, top 20 public school, safe environment with a good professional challenge to build something while getting paid well. You want to raise a family in friggin Alabama at a remedial southern university, be my guest.

I'm just being realistic. He's a football first guy and could go back to Auburn and make more money.

And for crying out loud, his kids wouldn't be going to school with Forrest Gump. At $500k+ a year I'm sure he could send them wherever he wants.

I don't have an inferiority complex regarding UConn's academic standing and what we've accomplished athletically, but we're talking about Auburn football here.

Yes, Rhett Lashlee left, but there were a lot more things in play is what my Auburn friend told me regarding his situation.

Reaction Score
I'm just being realistic. He's a football first guy and could go back to Auburn and make more money.

And for crying out loud, his kids wouldn't be going to school with Forrest Gump. At $500k+ a year I'm sure he could send them wherever he wants.

I don't have an inferiority complex regarding UConn's academic standing and what we've accomplished athletically, but we're talking about Auburn football here.

Yes, Rhett Lashlee left, but there were a lot more things in play is what my Auburn friend told me regarding his situation.

Have you ever been to Auburn, AL?

I'd understand if he didn't want to live there and raise his family there.

Having said that, the "loyalty" thing is kinda silly to say, thats just the reality of the sports world. UConn or not, P5 or not.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Have you ever been to Auburn, AL?

I'd understand if he didn't want to live there and raise his family there.

Having said that, the "loyalty" thing is kinda silly to say, thats just the reality of the sports world. UConn or not, P5 or not.

Never been there. I have been to Storrs, Tolland, Willington and Willimantic though. Not exactly paradise on earth.

Reaction Score
Benedict withdrew his name as part of the extension. Susan wants stability and he does too.

Reaction Score

Dude I get it, but the entire world is not full cynical, disloyal people. Sometimes people make commitments and do things for more reasons than just jumping to the next gig.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Dude I get it, but the entire world is not full cynical, disloyal people. Sometimes people make commitments and do things for more reasons than just jumping to the next gig.

I wouldn't have considered him disloyal for leaving. What does he owe us besides doing his best while he's here.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have considered him disloyal for leaving. What does he owe us besides doing his best while he's here.
I 'm from an older generation where there was some social compact. You appreciate your employer for the opportunity and are loyal as long as they treat you well, and your employer keeps you around if you treat them well. You give your employer the ability to match if the market wants you. Old fashioned, but can't stand this every man for himself culture. Just me I guess.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I 'm from an older generation where there was some social compact. You appreciate your employer for the opportunity and are loyal as long as they treat you well, and your employer keeps you around if you treat them well. You give your employer the ability to match if the market wants you. Old fashioned, but can't stand this every man for himself culture. Just me I guess.

I'm not an every man for himself guy in all respects, but I'm sure as hell a ConnHuskBask guy over a billion++ dollar corporation guy.

Reaction Score
Nah it’s a generational thing; the approach to employment and career tracking is unrecognizable now compared to last millennium. Diversity in one’s skills and qualifications is huge now and the young workforce want to have a wide breadth and deep depth of experiences to be competitive with loyal older folks who have been there forever. Millennials as a group tend to value mobility and view the world more globally, far from focusing on their immediate community and situation.

Reaction Score
Nah it’s a generational thing; the approach to employment and career tracking is unrecognizable now compared to last millennium. Diversity in one’s skills and qualifications is huge now and the young workforce want to have a wide breadth and deep depth of experiences to be competitive with loyal older folks who have been there forever. Millennials as a group tend to value mobility and view the world more globally, far from focusing on their immediate community and situation.
A mile wide and an inch deep.

Reaction Score
Employers aren't loyal anymore. They pretty much force people to leave. Good luck getting anything but a 2-3% raise nowadays even with a promotion.

Reaction Score
Oh, the implied social contract between employer and employee got shredded three decades ago. And I am probably even older than you. It was about the time that Wall Street started insisting on quarterly results rather than long term growth. And we all know what happened with that. GE is is Exhibit A if you were wondering. It worked for awhile.

Reaction Score
Fantastic, I view this as a bigger deal than many might. There is an energy and effort around Dave that has been lacking in the AD position for years. He's trying his heart out even as the fans check out and make his job harder. I like to think he feels he is going to bring them back no matter what it takes. We really don't want to have a change at AD any time soon. He's the best person for the job.

I agree Hoophound, and say excellent read by you - in fact, I would go a step further and say that if David Benedict is still our AD when this next (and maybe last) round of conference realignment happens, we may just have a chance to get in the door of the "P5" or whatever the heck they will call the "Group of Haves" at that time... whereas with out him our chances are most likely slim to none.

Either way, or chances, although probably still less than 50%, a significantly better with him than having to find another AD and hope he can get us properly aligned for that next opportunity.

For all of us who hold out hope that we don't get left behind permanently - this is actually a significant, positive development for UConn that he is staying.

Reaction Score
Employers aren't loyal anymore. They pretty much force people to leave. Good luck getting anything but a 2-3% raise nowadays even with a promotion.
JMick is not objective here; he is busting his ass with no recognition, for the 35 or whatever he’s making ;)

A mile wide and an inch deep.
An inch? Lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom