Two Big Stories: Rutgers covered up Rice for B1G | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Two Big Stories: Rutgers covered up Rice for B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I dont know if it is true, but it is around that the AD was acting on the advice of the schools legal council.

If that is true, how do you fire the AD and not get into a wrongful termination suit?

Reaction Score
I dont know if it is true, but it is around that the AD was acting on the advice of the schools legal council.

If that is true, how do you fire the AD and not get into a wrongful termination suit?

Take the B1G lottery ticket win and start the buy-outs/settlements.

Steve Politi (@StevePoliti)
4/4/13, 11:51 PM
Can an outcry from his supporters save Tim Pernetti at Rutgers? Ray Rice hopes so. My column:
http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2013/04/ray_rice_leads_a_grassroots_ef.html

Reaction Score
If he took a buy out he wouldn't be able to work as an AD again. You take a buy out if its in your best interest, not the company's.

This is the reason companies have "Sensitivity Training" and " Anger Management". This behavior is probably treated the same as work place "Bullying". I wonder what the NJ state employee handbook says about dismissal?

The problem is legal and HR do not add up to common sense.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
If he took a buy out he wouldn't be able to work as an AD again. You take a buy out if its in your best interest, not the company's.

This is the reason companies have "Sensitivity Training" and " Anger Management". This behavior is probably treated the same as work place "Bullying". I wonder what the NJ state employee handbook says about dismissal?

The problem is legal and HR do not add up to common sense.

I completely disagree. A buyout avoids disclosure and probably would have benefitted both Pernetti AND rutty. Timmy boy includes a clause that seals his file and his resume' stays clean. At the same time rutty comes off as doing the right thing. I've offered early retirement and buyouts to employees before and the majority of the time it was to make a clean break with minimal collateral damage for both sides.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
From the December article:
This isn’t about a few words. Rice rides his players to the point of breaking them. Gil Biruta, the best big man on his roster, couldn’t handle it and transferred to Rhode Island. Throwing basketballs at players and calling them vulgar names — which is what multiple sources at Rutgers confirm as the incidents that pushed Pernetti over the edge — just can’t happen.
So they were quite clear on what he had done. I'm not sure if this helps because it show transparency at the time, or hurts the Pres. because this publically available info didn't cause him to "go to the video tape."

Reaction Score
Take the B1G lottery ticket win and start the buy-outs/settlements

Ching...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/mike_rice_tim_pernetti_rutgers.html

"Pernetti — under a settlement agreement obtained by The Star-Ledger — will be paid more than $1.2 million in return for his resignation. Under the terms of his contract, Rice is entitled to receive more than $1 million."

"...In a deal signed this morning, Pernetti agreed to voluntarily leave in exchange for a significant buyout package. The term sheet, obtained by The Star-Ledger through an Open Public Records Act request, will pay the athletic director his full base contractual salary, annualized at $453,000 through June 2014 — in addition to any bonuses based on the academic progress of students, financial goals and competitive success of any of the school’s revenue sports.

He will also receive another lump-sum payment equivalent to another year and a half of salary .

A $12,000 annual automobile stipend will continue to be paid as well through June 2014, along with health and pension benefits through October 2015. He also gets to keep his iPad and laptop computer. The package was worth more than $1.25 million, not including bonuses."

Article includes a copy of Tyler Phommachanh's settlement and release of claims.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Ching...

"Pernetti — under a settlement agreement obtained by The Star-Ledger — will be paid more than $1.2 million in return for his resignation. Under the terms of his contract, Rice is entitled to receive more than $1 million."

"...In a deal signed this morning, Pernetti agreed to voluntarily leave in exchange for a significant buyout package. The term sheet, obtained by The Star-Ledger through an Open Public Records Act request, will pay the athletic director his full base contractual salary, annualized at $453,000 through June 2014 — in addition to any bonuses based on the academic progress of students, financial goals and competitive success of any of the school’s revenue sports.

He will also receive another lump-sum payment equivalent to another year and a half of salary .

A $12,000 annual automobile stipend will continue to be paid as well through June 2014, along with health and pension benefits through October 2015. He also gets to keep his iPad and laptop computer. The package was worth more than $1.25 million, not including bonuses."

Article includes a copy of Tyler Phommachanh's settlement and release of claims.

Perfect example of why we need an "unlike" option on here.

Reaction Score
Ching...

That's a pretty sweet payoff, but I'm sure he trade it all for his job and reputation. His next gig won't certainly be as good.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty sweet payoff, but I'm sure he trade it all for his job and reputation. His next gig won't certainly be as good.

Think Petrino... Down a notch for a bit and then back up. People in the real work world (not the media) know how these thing happen and why they happen.

He'll land on his feet after a bit of time in purgatory.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

You couldn't be more right. Pernetti was a rising star, about to hit the big time and he got exposed.

He'll be substitute teaching or assistant managing a D i c k s in 24 months. 'em.

**the one time I try and say d ic k without being a d ick I get Boneyard Nazi'd.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

This has the the answer. BTW - not renewing a contract probably not open to a wrongful termination suit.

Reaction Score
Buyers remorse? Not publicly anyways but this has entertainment value:

Jim Delany can't be happy with the baggage Rutgers brings to the Big Ten
http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2013/04/jim_delany_cant_be_happy_with.html

>> "Jim Delany must feel like a new homeowner who, just five months after moving in, discovered the sinkhole in the backyard, the leak in the boiler and the rampant termite problem. This is who he invited into his posh neighborhood?

The Big Ten is no stranger to scandal, but this is the first time a school will drag its baggage through the front door. Delany issued a bland statement Friday about the raging dumpster fire Rutgers has become, promising it would “have no impact on Rutgers’ transition to, or membership in, the Big Ten Conference.”

Maybe all he ever cared about are those precious cable boxes – and hey, in that context, Rutgers sure did end up on a lot of TV sets this week. But even if that was the primary motivation, he has to be wondering what he got himself and his league into by invading New Jersey" <<

>> "This whole episode really makes you wonder if Rutgers has the savvy or the stomach for big-time athletics. This was a problem that could’ve been solved months ago with a checkbook, either by paying Eric Murdock to take his videotape and go away or to swallow the rest of Rice’s contract and cut ties with him."<<

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Ching...

Well at least he gets to keep his iPad.

It would have been a damn shame if he had to give that up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member